What's the best Video DAP
Sep 7, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 32
If you have a MCE PC you may want to consider either the Toshiba gigabeat S or the new Toshiba gigabeat V.

They both run on Portable MCE and sync seamlessly with your MCE PC (also Tivo to Go).

I often watch video on my gigabeat (pretty good in landscape mode).

Downside on the gigabeat S for video is battery life at about 3 to 3.5 hours. The gig V has about 8 hours for video which seems pretty good.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 32
I have looked at most of them. I don't think on-the-go DAP (Should it be DA/VP ((Digital Audio/Video Player) is ready for prime time:

(1) Converting the DVD is painful;

(2) Watching the video is painful;

and,

(3) The battery life is gawd-awful (I'm from Boston).

For now, my money stays in my pocket.

Sep 10, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
I have looked at most of them. I don't think on-the-go DAP (Should it be DA/VP ((Digital Audio/Video Player) is ready for prime time:

(1) Converting the DVD is painful;

(2) Watching the video is painful;

and,

(3) The battery life is gawd-awful (I'm from Boston).

For now, my money stays in my pocket.

I tend to agree with your over all conclusion, but with the right software & processor (1) is not that painfull (but no breeze either!). And you forgot the most important:

(4) When you rip and encode a CD you might listen to it 50+ times before it goes out of heavy rotation. Not so with films/tv shows. Ok, I may have watched Dr. Strangelove (or Fawlty Towers or "XXXXXXXXXX") 20+ times, but that is in 20+ years.

What really puzzles me is that there is not a single good portable dvd out there. All have lousy dynamic range, lousy resolution and lousy batterylife

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 32
The Cowon A2 offers 8 hours battery life for video playback. This is alright with me.
I watch a lot of Anime fansubs and my player of choice has to support a lot of codecs. The A2 does - lthough I would love to see mkv and ogg support.
So the usefullness of a PMP depends on your preferences!

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #21 of 32
dr.morton says:
Quote:

The Cowon A2 offers 8 hours battery life for video playback.

I stand corrected. It would appear that the Cowon A2 does offer 8 hours (4 movies) of battery life. That is more than reasonable.

PASS THE BUTTERED POPCORN !

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 32
I read the reviews on the other forum posted by someone and the Cowon A2 seems to be the only thing on the face of the earth to own. But they are hard to find and d***** expensive.

Oh well the search continues.

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #23 of 32
ChicagoNB says:

Quote:

I read the reviews on the other forum posted by someone and the Cowon A2 seems to be the only thing on the face of the earth to own. But they are hard to find and d***** expensive.

Oh well the search continues.

Check back tomorrow. The Cowon A2 may have some new competition in the form of the first, true video, iPod.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #24 of 32
I own a Cowon A2.
I can say that it has by far the best audio quality, specially against the Archos AV500 and it's even capable of FLAC playback. It just sound awesome with my SR-60 and PAV2V2.
For head-fiers i think the PMP on the market right now is the A2. Specially because of it's audio quality ...

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 32
Most fun "DAP" must be the GP2x. $179 + some SD card, say 4GB, Music, videos (even on TV) and a lot of games on the go ( nes, snes, megadrive, neo geo, mame, .. )

I think the outputs where 100mW aswell
wink.gif

I doubt it's that comfortable thought, but if someone gets a video enabled unit are they really after comfort?

2 x 200MHz(?) arm cpus, 64MB ram, 3.5" screen, 161 gram. Battery life is quite crappy with 6h audio and 4h video.
Plays MPEG 4, Dvix 3.11,4x,5x, and Higher, XVID, WMV(7,8,9 Later On) Playback, MP3,OGG,WMA(Later On) in up to MAX 720*480 30fps (audio 384kbps.)

iAudio A2 is cute.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
Most fun "DAP" must be the GP2x. $179 + some SD card, say 4GB, Music, videos (even on TV) and a lot of games on the go ( nes, snes, megadrive, neo geo, mame, .. )

I think the outputs where 100mW aswell
wink.gif

I doubt it's that comfortable thought, but if someone gets a video enabled unit are they really after comfort?

2 x 200MHz(?) arm cpus, 64MB ram, 3.5" screen, 161 gram. Battery life is quite crappy with 6h audio and 4h video.
Plays MPEG 4, Dvix 3.11,4x,5x, and Higher, XVID, WMV(7,8,9 Later On) Playback, MP3,OGG,WMA(Later On) in up to MAX 720*480 30fps (audio 384kbps.)

iAudio A2 is cute.

Seems good but i just can't stand a battery life like this.
That's just IMO ...

EDIT: according to the GP2x website it doesn't has a build in rechargeble battery. It uses 2 AA batteries. Which is, again IMHO, another bad point of this product ...

Sep 13, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 32
As a video player, the smaller 30 gig iPod is not ready for prime time. The screen is the same size as the 5th generation (2.5). I think the screen is too small. It has a battery life of 3.5 hours. That is not enough to play two movies. Give me a break. The price, $249.00, is very competitive.

The 80 gig is better, but no world beater. It has the same size screen (2.5) as its sibling. The battery life of 6.5 hours (3 movies) is better. The list price is $349.00. Some $25.00 less the the A2.

As noted, the Cown A2 offers 8 hours of video playback on a 4 inch screen. The A2 supports a 30 gig hard drive and lists for $376.51 on Amazon.

Converting DVD's to work on portable players is still a work in progress. It is not always easy and it can be long and time (personal and computer) consuming.

I still believe the "real" Video iPod is yet to be delivered. If you can wait for a video player, wait.

Thread is for video so I will limit my thoughts, but I can't help mentioning the new iTunes 7. The program is a significant advance and a pure pleasure to use and view

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gattler
What is with the Playstation Portable. I saw a guy in the undergroundtrain playing some game on it. The screen seemed very good to me. Can´t it play videos?

Yes, the PSP is a surprisingly excellent media device. Just load up a sufficient MemoryStick with music and videos and you're set.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #30 of 32
Cowon A2! It can play any file format you throw at it. It's all open source as it is based on the Linux kernel (which I use over closed source as much as possible). Movies on it are excellent, I went through the extended edition Lord of the Rings: The Fellow ship of the Ring and half way through the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers befoer I got a low battery warning. Headphone out is also impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back