What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 17, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #481 of 1,242
anyone compared their USB cables against the Ifi Mercury 3.0?
Im trying to find an upgrade from this cable.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #483 of 1,242
There seems to be a limited choice for USB 3.0 A to B cables. The iFI Mercury is one but not many options below £200?
USB audio spec is 2.0 so a 3.0 cable does nothing for that.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #484 of 1,242
Quite happy with the Audiowuest cinnamon. USB C to USB B isn’t easy to find.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #486 of 1,242
Normally i don't believe in Different Cable Sounds, BUT I've ordered the Audioquest USB Carbon last year from amazon which i didn't keep.
But i listened to it and i'm pretty sure the sound was different than my cheaper USB Cable, it had a blacker background sounded slightly more analog.
Now i'm on the fence of buying the Audioquest USB Carbon again and keep it this time. But like i said i don't believe in cable sound.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #487 of 1,242
OK,
so i've ordered an Audioquest USB Carbon, can i still use my IFiPurifier2 in my chain or is it better to feed the DAC with the Carbon alone?

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #488 of 1,242
A cable does not do what the iPurifier2 does, i.e. re-clocking and cleaning the power. Better DAC's handle those functions, to the point where an iPurifier will be useless or even harmful to the sound. If your DAC benefits from the iPurifier2 now, I expect you will want to keep it your system.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #489 of 1,242
Normally i don't believe in Different Cable Sounds, BUT I've ordered the Audioquest USB Carbon last year from amazon which i didn't keep.
But i listened to it and i'm pretty sure the sound was different than my cheaper USB Cable, it had a blacker background sounded slightly more analog.
Now i'm on the fence of buying the Audioquest USB Carbon again and keep it this time. But like i said i don't believe in cable sound.
Let me summarize what you just said. You listened to the Audioquest Carbon USB cable. You are pretty sure that the sound was different than your cheaper cable but you still don't believe in cable sound. No offense, but this means that beliefs overwrite first hand experience in your world.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #490 of 1,242
Let me summarize what you just said. You listened to the Audioquest Carbon USB cable. You are pretty sure that the sound was different than your cheaper cable but you still don't believe in cable sound. No offense, but this means that beliefs overwrite first hand experience in your world.
No offense taken :)
Yes, i've listened to the Carbon USB cable but even if i heard a difference that doesn't mean automatically its true, i could be a hearing phenomenon where i just believe and imagine it's better.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #492 of 1,242
Depends on the driver used. No one is stopping anyone from writing a custom driver that uses usb3.0 speed or features (necessary or not is another question). Don't know of their dacs but their signal regenerators apparently work at usb 3.0 speed.
iFi Audio DAC's also have USB 3.0 ports. I read once on their website a claim that 3.0 processing results in better noise control, but I couldn't find this statement again when I looked for it recently. I have an iOne, which I've used with several 2.0 and 3.0 cables. My Oyaide neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 cable sounds better than basic StarTech and Belkin USB 3.0 cables, fed from a USB 3.0 port on my laptop.

USB cables affect tonality, and soundstage. Some are warm sounding, some cool, some rather sibilant. Finding a USB cable with complementary sound is the most important thing, IME. Just because a cable costs more or has a big reputation doesn't mean it will sound better in your system. I'm using a generic 2.0 cable with the iOne right now that sounds really good, smoothed out the top end and a nice soundstage. My Oyaide is out on loan right now, will have to try it on the iOne vs. the freebie generic once I have it back.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #493 of 1,242
Plenty of choices … I’ve had good results with Oyaide USB cables, both the D+ Class S and the cheaper D+ class A with a slight preference for the cheaper D+ class A, good quality and reasonably priced as they’re usually aimed at and sold through Pro audio stores …

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #494 of 1,242
I think i'm gonna return the Carbon Cable, i see no difference to my Forest Cable, so yeah. Maybe there is a difference maybe not, can't tell honestly.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #495 of 1,242
Have no experience with all the offerings. But I have a .7 meter Oyide Neo B to C. I didn't expect much and I still need to conduct more testing. However, the mids seem smaller, but much cleaner/more focused. Highs are less glaring and smoother. Bass seems clearer. Will have to as I said carry on with AB blind testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back