What's the Best Travel Food?
Jul 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought of this while sitting in a gas/food station in Cuba, New Mexico, and munching on a Moon Pie washed down with Mexican Coke.  It kept me going the rest of the way to Farmington.  What do you all like to eat on the road, especially to keep alert and awake??

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 30
Well cigarettes help even if you don't really smoke. Holding you eyelids open on one side with your hand works. You could always eat coffee beans too. The best thing is to pull over and get some sleep before it's the last supper. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 30
Adderall is something that a Dr. can give you for A.D.D.. The military will implement something like this in times of increased task and when an increase of alertness required. This is not something I would not use unless given to you by a Dr. after many tests. It is most helpful in times when sleep in not an option. This is far and above better than anything else you could take to help you drive another 200 miles in a car.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 30
If you are road drowsy, you must pull over and take a power nap. I usually do it at rest stops or hotel parking lots to blend in with other cars if it's late at night. Caffeine is fine if your body can handle it. I know some people who never drink coffee. Eating too much food can back fire because digesting can make you tired and sleepy. 

In my opinion, the best thing to eat is light raw vegetables if possible or something reasonably natural. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 30
unless you know how you react, amphetamines can be a TERRIBLE idea - the lack of sleep can make you a really really really dangerously bad driver

Quote:
Adderall is something that a Dr. can give you for A.D.D.. The military will implement something like this in times of increased task and when an increase of alertness required. This is not something I would not use unless given to you by a Dr. after many tests. It is most helpful in times when sleep in not an option. This is far and above better than anything else you could take to help you drive another 200 miles in a car.

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 30
I cut out snacks a few years ago, so mostly water while on the road.

I make a point of pulling over every 100-120 miles or so. I get out, have a drink, wander around, etc. You have to turn off the autopilot and break that frame of mind.

If I'm sleepy, the cell phone makes for a good alarm clock for a 15-20 minute nap.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 30
I like Corn Nuts and beef jerky on the road, since I don't have AC in my decrepit car, I usually freeze a couple bottles of Gatorade beforehand and take those. I'm a heavy coffee drinker, so if I really need a pick-me-up, I can do that or a energy drink on the road. I've never felt any boost from sodas, so I usually steer clear of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back