Whats the best Porcupine tree album?
Apr 2, 2007 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I listened to some Porcupine Tree, And I really like it so I'm going to buy an album.

Problem is, which one? ATM I can get Voyage 34 and Up the Downstair really cheap. How good are they? Are there any better ones for first-time-listeners of progressive?

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to some Porcupine Tree, And I really like it so I'm going to buy an album.

Problem is, which one? ATM I can get Voyage 34 and Up the Downstair really cheap. How good are they? Are there any better ones for first-time-listeners of progressive?

Porcupine Tree have kinda gone through a few phases.

Early PT (Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways) was quite proggy.
Signify was more dark-prog.
Lightbulb Sun & Stupid Dream were more upbeat acousticy/prog/rock.
In Absentia and Deadwing crossed into the realms of prog-metal.
And the new one (out soon!) is supposedly even heavier!

What doesnt help is that some are out of print (Lightbulb Sun) and there are different versions remastered and not (Up The Downstair, for example, was remastered in 2004/5 with real drums to replace the programmed drums). There are also 3 exceptional DVD-A versions of Stupid Dream, In Absentia and Deadwing if you're into hi-res audio.

So your best bet is probably to have a read of some sites (www.allmusic.com is a good one for discographies) and go for something along the lines of the type of progressive music you like. Then work your way around the discography from there.

Many say In Absentia is the one to go for. I think it, Stupid Dream and Deadwing comprise PTs best moments. I'm also very fond of Up The Downstair for more laid-back proggy PT.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!?
confused.gif
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Absentia and Deadwing are the only one's I've heard, and they are both amazing. I recommend you pick those up; not the proggiest of prog, but it's a good start.

x2

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 40
Yeah, Deadwing and In Abstentia get my votes as well. Listen to these albums on a good rig, you will have a huge grin on your face. I guarantee it!

Up the downstair is awesome, but its very moody, and I cannot just pick it up and listen, you need to be in the mood to listen thru that album. Same story with the earlier albums.

Lightbulb sun is a very transitional album, resting perfectly between the earlier works and the newer albums. It is not as heavy and doesnt have metal like riffs and moments like the newer ones, and doesnt have too much ambient stuff and moodiness of the previous albums.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
voyage 34 or the sky moves sideways hands down.......

x2

By far the best albums, I'm still working through recordings and signify, but overall the newest CD's (absentia and deadwing) sucked in comparison to these.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 40
Ok... I think I might buy Voyage 34, as long as the bid stays low.

What about Backfield? I dont thinks its porcupine tree, but its got the lead guy. Anyone have it?

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 40
In Absentia, hands down.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Absentia, hands down.
biggrin.gif

X5! Fantastic album! Although I all have to compare it to is Deadwing. I intend to delve deeper into PT once I get some extra money.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...there are different versions remastered and not (Up The Downstair, for example, was remastered in 2004/5 with real drums to replace the programmed drums).

Whoa, really? What's your opinion of both versions of Up the Downstair?

Also, do you detect any noticeable differences between the other remasters?

And yes, In Absentia is the best starting point, IMO. Heavy, light, ambient, poppy, proggy, clean, dirty--it's all there.

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 40
I'd just like to mention Lightbulb Sun, one of the 3 most listened to PT albums for me. Voyage 34 can make for some interesting listening to
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 40
you managed to find the one CD I don't ahve...I'll see if I can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back