What's the best mp3 player with expandable memory?
Nov 14, 2008 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
From what I can tell, most of the best mp3 players in terms of SQ are flash-based, and therefore getting high storage capacities is still a limiting factor for them. Therefore, my question is, which mp3 players have both excellent SQ as well as SD or microSD expansion slots?

Also, if you have compared any of these players to an iPod classic (I have a 5th gen 30g video), how big is the jump in SQ? My current rig is iPod -> HEADSIX -> ER4P

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for D2. Native FLAC + long battery life (52hrs) + great sound = FTW

QFT
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Cowon D2 and the Fuze are the only ones I can really think of.

Or, you can try to find a Sansa E200 V1, and rockbox it.

Also, to answer the question above, the Fuze is SLIGHTLY smaller than the 3rd gen Ipod Nano. And, the D2 is about 3 times as thicker than the new Nanos, but with the 52 hour battery life for music, and the good support of codecs, it's worth buying over the new nanos, IMO.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 14
You would be happy with either.
-Fuze is much smaller in size and with current firmwares supports OGG and FLAC. D2 is small but super thick and has double the battery life of the Fuze. D2 also supports OGG and FLAC out of the box.
-Fuze is much easier to operate on the move while the D2 takes longer to browse through a large library of files due to the touch screen interface.
-The D2 can have 16 GB onboard and takes up to 16 (cheap) and 32 (expensive)GB SDHC cards while the Fuze has 8 GB onboard and can takes 8 (cheap) and 16 (expensive) GB micro SDHC cards.
-The Fuze has an awesome non-EQed sound but has a crappy EQ. The D2 has a non-warm analytical non-EQed sound (suffers from bass rolloff) but has a great EQ which one can tailor their own sound (and also slightly compensate for the bass rolloff). The D2 can also drive high impedance headphones really well (high ohm phones do remove the bass rolloff).
-The D2 uses standard mini USB cables which can be replaced easily while the Fuze uses a proprietary USB cable which is harder to replace and more expensive.

So summed up:
If you need alot of room for files, want a long battery life, like to mess with EQ settings, and drive high impedance phones, get the Cowon D2.
If you need ease of use on the go, extremely small (and thin) DAP footprint, and do not want to worry about an EQ, get a Sansa Fuze.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would be happy with either.
-Fuze is much smaller in size and with current firmwares supports OGG and FLAC. D2 is small but super thick and has double the battery life of the Fuze. D2 also supports OGG and FLAC out of the box.
-Fuze is much easier to operate on the move while the D2 takes longer to browse through a large library of files due to the touch screen interface.
-The D2 can have 16 GB onboard and takes up to 16 (cheap) and 32 (expensive)GB SDHC cards while the Fuze has 8 GB onboard and can takes 8 (cheap) and 16 (expensive) GB micro SDHC cards.
-The Fuze has an awesome non-EQed sound but has a crappy EQ. The D2 has a non-warm analytical non-EQed sound (suffers from bass rolloff) but has a great EQ which one can tailor their own sound (and also slightly compensate for the bass rolloff). The D2 can also drive high impedance headphones really well (high ohm phones do remove the bass rolloff).
-The D2 uses standard mini USB cables which can be replaced easily while the Fuze uses a proprietary USB cable which is harder to replace and more expensive.

So summed up:
If you need alot of room for files, want a long battery life, like to mess with EQ settings, and drive high impedance phones, get the Cowon D2.
If you need ease of use on the go, extremely small (and thin) DAP footprint, and do not want to worry about an EQ, get a Sansa Fuze.

I couldn't agree more with what you have just said
beyersmile.png

Anyway, I don't quite understand why you were saying that 16 GB Micro SDHC card for the Fuze is (expensive) while 16GB SDHC for the D2 is (cheap).
Could you please elaborate more?

SilverB

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Cowon D2 takes SDHC while Sansa Fuze takes micro SDHC. 16 GB SDHC can be found online for $35-45 while 16 GB micro SDHC is online for $105 atm.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 14
32GB SDHC cards are also quite affordable (~£70 on eBay). Coupled with a 16GB Cowon D2 gives me all the memory I need (for the moment). Apparently (or so I've read) the D2 has a limit of 5000 files so that may be a consideration.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks guys,

I pulled the trigger on a Fuze - although the D2 sounds great (maybe even preferable) I went for the Fuze since it's cheaper for me to try out and the size sounds great. Appreciate all the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back