What's the best 'jack-of-all-trades' amp?
Mar 17, 2006 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
i want to pursue into headphones soon, but I don't know what amp to get. Of course, every amp is different from each other, and combined with the combination possibilities of all the IEMs/earphones/clip-ons/headphones/wtv in the world, the possibilities are almost endless.

So I basically want a 'jack-of-all-trades' amp that I will use to push my Koss KSC75, and hopefully someday a AKG K701. I listen to old-school rock/pop: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Eric Clapton. Also a fair amount of jazz by Fourplay.

Thanks for your inputs.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 10
If you want play with the big boys, you should start thinking about getting a decent home source first.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 10
The Gilmore Lite is a pretty standard amp on these forums. Not really high end, not cheap either. Very few people have negative things to say about it.

Besides its dead sexy
smily_headphones1.gif
:

lite_phones_med.jpg

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
The Gilmore Lite is a pretty standard amp on these forums. Not really high end, not cheap either. Very few people have negative things to say about it.

Besides its dead sexy
smily_headphones1.gif
:

I totally agree, but if you intend to get a home system with amp and speakers you might want to look into the GS-1. It also has a very fine class A preamp built in.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Your rig is portable. You probably want something portable too, but something that could do double duty when you get a home rig. There are killer portable amps that can do both easily. The one I heard at a Chicago meet a few years ago was the Ray Samuels SR-71. This amp is extraordinary. Check the reviews for it.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
Your rig is portable. You probably want something portable too, but something that could do double duty when you get a home rig. There are killer portable amps that can do both easily. The one I heard at a Chicago meet a few years ago was the Ray Samuels SR-71.

I second the recommendation for portable amp that can also work for the home ring. In addition to the recommendation above, I suggest also checking into Ray Samuels Hornet (
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128526
), Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II (http://ipastudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2385), and XIN SuperMacro-III (http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1391).

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
i want to pursue into headphones soon, but I don't know what amp to get. Of course, every amp is different from each other, and combined with the combination possibilities of all the IEMs/earphones/clip-ons/headphones/wtv in the world, the possibilities are almost endless.

So I basically want a 'jack-of-all-trades' amp that I will use to push my Koss KSC75, and hopefully someday a AKG K701. I listen to old-school rock/pop: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Eric Clapton. Also a fair amount of jazz by Fourplay.

Thanks for your inputs.

Head on over to the DIY board, build your own, and roll your opamps when necessary. Oh, and kiss your wallet goodbye!

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Xin Supermacro, seconded. Lots of options for different phones due to the feature switches, very portable especially considering the performance, good "real-world capability" (uses AAAs, ability to charge batteries, dampened volume pot will not allow for involuntary changes in volume), upgradeable if you wish to. Also makes for nice home amp until you want something more substantial. No to say that the Supermacro lacked any substance
icon10.gif
I rather mean more substantial impact on your wallet
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back