What's the best headphone that doesn't need an amp?
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering about high-end headphones that deliver their full potential from headphone jacks on good portable CD players or home receivers. (IEMs excluded for obvious reasons.)

I've often heard of the A500/A900, HD555/HD595, and the Grado series mentioned in this context...which of these improves the least with an amp? Or, in other words, which is the best headphone for which a dedicated amp is really not necessary, or even superfluous?

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
which of these improves the least with an amp? Or, in other words, which is the best headphone for which a dedicated amp is really not necessary, or even superfluous?

I think the question is overloaded because:

Sounding best without amplification is one thing.
Improving the least with amplification is another thing.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 11
I frequently listen to all my Grados unamped from my vintage PCDPs. No they are not at full potential, but they sound better than straight out of any of my MP3 players.

So I guess Grado gets my vote.
Garrett

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra

Agree. They are not the same thing at all.

Both the L3000 and PS-1 sound pretty good straight from the iPod. Which is better is a matter of taste. Each one has a different approach.

If I had to keep only one, I'd keep the L3000.

However the PS-1 is quite good too and it's quite convenient as it is "foldable". Easy to put in a suitcase/bag, around the neck and you can even go for a walk with them.

Still... I'd keep the L3000.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra

Good point. I know that some phones can sound fine without amplification, but improve a lot with.

I guess what I'm really asking is which headphones really do not need an amp in order to sound their best (or close to it at any rate)?

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 11
The Qualia 010. It performs at its nominal spec unamped, which means it will show you what is wrong with whatever you're listening to
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The Qualia 010. It performs at its nominal spec unamped, which means it will show you what is wrong with whatever you're listening to
biggrin.gif

That's odd. The only thing I've ever heard when trying to listen to the Qualia without some sort of amplification is dead silence
very_evil_smiley.gif

All headphones need an amp. The question is whether the amp in a device is a better amp than an external amp. The difference in amp quality/synergy with headphone determines whether or not you can hear improvement. So far, I have not heard a high-end headphone that will deliver its full potential without an external amp. High-end headphones will work from amps in sources or receivers, and can sound very good, but full potential? No. Not one.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 11
The three which spring to mind that I have had in my possesion are the:-

Ps-1, L3k, Qualia 010

I don;t know if they are the "best" but certainly they stood out SQ wise when using something like a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back