What's the best headphone for under 200?
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ndee3

New Head-Fier
Hey this is my first post, Looking for your opinions, I am going to invest in my first pair of good headphones, I had dre solos but I got the iPhone 5 and the new headphones that come with them had more bass, I love bass and I like when it has depth and I like hearing the music on a bunch of different levels, I don't know If you guys understand what I'm saying by that but I'd like the best for my money, I've heard some real good things about the audio technica m50's and I'm looking for some guidance before I go and spend the money, any help is appreciated so thanks in advance!

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 34
There aren't any good headphones under $200.

I kid...but really...you'll start under $200 but it'll escalate quickly.  You're better to start with Mid-Fi.  It'll keep you satisfied for a year or two.  Maybe Mad Dogs (Mr. Speaker modded Fostex - look for the thread).

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 34
Excellent bass for under 200 dollars.  I can easily recommend the Ultrasone HFI-580.  At least when I bought them they were about 120 dollars.  That price might have increased since they made a few changes to it recently.  

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 34
I recently just bought both ATH-M50 and HFI-580s, the M50s have more burn in on the about 12 hours but I just recieved the 580s like an hour ago. Right now I'm leaning more towards the M50s the 580s seem to have a bit more clarity, I'm not an expert on sound quality but the instruments seem more spaced out than the m50s. I got the HFI-580s because of I heard the bass was better than the m50s but at this point I think the bass on the m50s are better. I'm not using an amp, not sure if I have to let these things burn in first before I hear and feel the bass I've been hearing about from the reviews. I might wind up sending both back and saving a bit of money and buying something better and stick to my hd280s for a bit longer.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 34
The Grado 225i is an excellent phone for $200.

Hey thanks for your input, im wondering what kind of music you listen to in them because i listen to rap, hip hop music and id like a pair that can bring out all the elaborate sounds in the beats plus still provide a deep but not over powering bass and if they would be the best for my money I found a pair for 160 online I am considering buying them, also what portable headphone amp would you recommend for them because I'm also looking into getting one of those

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 34

Hey thanks for your input, im wondering what kind of music you listen to in them because i listen to rap, hip hop music and id like a pair that can bring out all the elaborate sounds in the beats plus still provide a deep but not over powering bass and if they would be the best for my money I found a pair for 160 online I am considering buying them, also what portable headphone amp would you recommend for them because I'm also looking into getting one of those

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 34

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 34
+3 to Srh-840

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 34

Elaborate sound in the Beats

Elaborate sound

Elaborate

:/

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 34
I don't think that Grados can pull off bassy music all that well to be honest.  While it might be satisfactory to some I think you'll find it a bit lacking.  (Based on reviews and my own view of the SR-60i)  Especially since you'll be upgrading from the beats.  The 580s will take time to burn in, but even then they'll be a treble-y headphone.  

Can't say anything about Shure beyond it is recommended quite often.  And I keep hearing that the DT770s are another set of excellent cans.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back