Whats the Best Dual Driver Earphones on the Market?
Jan 26, 2008 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the BEST dual driver earphones on the market?

I would like to give you an idea of exactly what type of earphone i am looking for:

I am looking for an earphone with a neutral\balanced and showing no noticeable leaning towards neither bass, mids nor highs & certainly no lacking in any of these areas when required.

Before i make a purchase i need your input.

Thank You All.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 30
There's really not an answer to that. It all depends on what sound signature you are looking for but the front runners are probably SE420, Super Fi Pro and Q-Jays. You can do a serch on each of these and get many opnions about them.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 30
Do you want standard IEM's or customs? There are many companies offering both, and the *BEST* is largely based on personal opinion.

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 30
Probably should also includes Westone UM2...
smily_headphones1.gif

[EDIT] LiveWires is also a dual driver. It probably is the best in price vs performance. Also adding FreQ of Nature (?) into the mix, but no sure how it sounds like...

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 30
"Best" is a strong word, and depends on lots of factors and how you rank them. Example:
* Sound quality.
* Build quality.
* Customer support.
* Price.
* Price to performance ratio.
* Availability.

That said, I am very pleased with my Westone UM2's.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Best" is a strong word, and depends on lots of factors and how you rank them. Example:
* Sound quality.
* Build quality.
* Customer support.
* Price.
* Availability.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably should also includes Westone UM2...
smily_headphones1.gif

[EDIT] LiveWires is also a dual driver. It probably is the best in price vs performance. Also adding FreQ of Nature (?) into the mix, but no sure how it sounds like...

Agreed. You do need to define more precisely what it is you seek - the krmathis list is a good starting point.

UM2s are pleasant universal dual driver IEMs which, IMHO, benefit from ICs/Amp to bring out the high frequencies more (in other words, as with any answer to your question, it really is all about the synergy of the combination of equipment overall).

I believe the Livewires use the same drivers as the UM2s but, due to different configuration and the personalised nature, deliver more out of these drivers to your ear
biggrin.gif
(my opinion, as a previous UM2 owner - your's may differ).

I understand the Super FREQs are triple, not dual, driver.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the Super FREQs are triple, not dual, driver.

Yes, the SuperFreQ is triple, but the FreQ of Nature is a dual.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Sound quality.
* Build quality.
* Customer support.
* Price.
* Availability.

biggrin.gif

Gospel!

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 30
looks like um2 is good choice for you.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also i don't think more drivers necessarily mean better sound (at least for now). i believe the ety er4p are single's and many people claim they are the best sounding thing's they've ever heard.

Don't believe everything you hear, as many people would disagree with that statement. Etymotics, while very clear, have been known to produce almost too sterile of a sound, taking the fun and enjoyment out of the music you're listening to. Depending on your price range, I'd recommend the Westone UM2, Livewires, or the Super.fi 5 Pro.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 30
As has been said, one cannot judge the performance and sound quality of an IEM based on the amount of drivers it contains. In theory, multiple drivers should provide a greater frequency range and a lead to a more dynamic sound, but in practice, similarly priced single driver earphones will perform just as well - or better than - dual or triple driver earphones.

Case in point, the ER4P's. Reference quality sound, a wide tip selection, a 10 year + production life, and, yes, a single driver. In fact, based on the OP's request for a neutral, balanced sound, the ER4P's are quite simply the only option for achieving a near flat frequency response; other IEM's suggested, including the Livewires and UM2's are certainly colored towards the bass department.

Now, I do not mean to say that a perfectly neutral sound is more enjoyable than the colored sound provided by various other IEM's (otherwise I would not own a pair of RS-1's) - but for the OP's specific tastes and requests, I cannot think of a better choice.

-Nick

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 30
When did we all agree that a sterile sound can never be fun and enjoyable to one's ear?

After all, fun and enjoyment are all highly personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back