Whats the best Classical music can?
Mar 20, 2006 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I love listening to Classical music (matter of fact, I am listening to some "classical chillout" right now), especially the laid back, relaxing pieces. My question is, in you guys opinions, which can best reproduces classical music?

I am still waiting for my DT 880's to arrive at Sam Ash so I can pick them up and I hear they are great for classical music.

I was wondering was there any difference in SQ over different cans.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 67
Hey, off-topic for a sec. Its pronounced "Grahh-doh" and not "Gray-doh" right?

I was figuring since its an italian name it would be pronounced "grah-doh".

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 67
There were several huge threads about this... It's an Italian last name and theoretically should be "Grah-doh", but the man himself (John Grado) says it's "Gray-doh", the Anglicized way.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
There were several huge threads about this... It's an Italian last name and theoretically should be "Grah-doh", but the man himself (John Grado) says it's "Gray-doh", the Anglicized way.

Okay, then "Gray-doh" it is. I know a lot of Italians that do this to make it easier for people that don't understand (or do not want to) Italian grammar.

A guy I work with has the last name of "Lucia" which everyone at work pronounces "Luu-shuh". When in actuality he says its pronounced "Luu-chee-uhh".

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 67
HD600.

As long as its properly driven, it sounds amazing for classical, especially live stuff.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 67
If it's solo violin, it's K1000

K1000 doesn't handle to rest well... but violin is K1000 territory
k1000smile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 67
I'm actually very close to purchasing a pair of these for the sole purpose of listening to classical (i.e., baroque, solo keyboard, and chamber) use; it seems they have a reputation for classical.

Or have I been misinformed?

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 67
Cool guys, thanx for the feedback. I listen to a lot of Brahms, Mozart, Debussey, Beethoven, Vivaldi. I don't listen to many high powered symphonies (they are too energetic for relaxing) so I usually listen to the slower, peaceful, and laid back pieces. I like the sound of calm strings and the pianos.

I guess its safe to say I made a good choice for classical with purchasing the DT 880's.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhw
I'm actually very close to purchasing a pair of these for the sole purpose of listening to classical (i.e., baroque, solo keyboard, and chamber) use; it seems they have a reputation for classical.

Or have I been misinformed?

They do have a good reputation for that use, however to be honest I think it's overstated. For the money, the HD-580 is a better choice in my book. Classical music needs, deep low fundamental bass, which as clean as it is in the K501 does not extend well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back