What's the best amp for HD800
Dec 4, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #648 of 680
Dec 12, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #650 of 680
What's the best amp? Tube amps.

The HD800 to an amp, is like a stethoscope to the body.
Totally revealing it's capabilities.

HD800 may be one of few headphones that can run straight off speaker taps for widest range of possibilities, but responding & scaling up highest with voltage driven amps, which makes tube amps the amp of choice.

Also the only daps currently, that have the voltage potential to best run the HD800 are the top iBasso daps.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #651 of 680
What's the best amp? Tube amps.

The HD800 to an amp, is like a stethoscope to the body.
Totally revealing it's capabilities.

HD800 may be one of few headphones that can run straight off speaker taps for widest range of possibilities, but responding & scaling up highest with voltage driven amps, which makes tube amps the amp of choice.

Also the only daps currently, that have the voltage potential to best run the HD800 are the top iBasso daps.
I used the Elekit TU8600 300B amp with the HD800S and they sounded fantastic, I have also tried the Sennheiser HDVA600 using the balanced output to get a cleaner more dynamic sound, both of which are at the ear candy level

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #652 of 680
I just got a clean pair of hd800 and was using an older Burson conductor with the 1793 dac with my T1.2 so I thought it should be a good pairing with the 800. Nope sounded terrible. Thin no bass harsh but could tell the 800 with the right amp could be really good. Not looking to spend big bucks on a tube amp so I dug out the Burson Ha160 that sounded great on the T1.2 not really expecting much difference. Using the dac out of the conductor and now have the dynamics, punch and clear. I have heard people say 800 have no bass and are not good for rock let me tell ya I put on the 2049 soundtrack and these hit low and tight. Steve Vai The Ultra Zone is amazing. Same with Joe Satriani. Hard to believe a headphone can be so amp picky.

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #654 of 680
I just got a clean pair of hd800 and was using an older Burson conductor with the 1793 dac with my T1.2 so I thought it should be a good pairing with the 800. Nope sounded terrible. Thin no bass harsh but could tell the 800 with the right amp could be really good. Not looking to spend big bucks on a tube amp so I dug out the Burson Ha160 that sounded great on the T1.2 not really expecting much difference. Using the dac out of the conductor and now have the dynamics, punch and clear. I have heard people say 800 have no bass and are not good for rock let me tell ya I put on the 2049 soundtrack and these hit low and tight. Steve Vai The Ultra Zone is amazing. Same with Joe Satriani. Hard to believe a headphone can be so amp picky.

Incredible, all-around headphone once you find the right amp!

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #657 of 680
I've been running a Elekit TU-8900 (amorphous core transformer and V-Cap Cutf output capacitor version) for about 8 months now (Bottlehead Mainline prior) and have been immensely impressed with the amp which can run either 300b or 2A3 tubes via a auto detect circuit just plug and play.

Sounds superb with the hd800 most enjoyable combination I've experienced so far with the Dave in front you loose virtually nothing compared to Dave direct just a tiny fraction of spaciality compared to Dave direct. The flip side is you get to enjoy the wonderful sonic characteristics of those two legendary tubes. With six headphone out impedance settings combined with the ability to select listening with or without feedback it provides lots of flexibility to tailor to personal sonic preferences.

Also makes for very nice combo with with my HE6 and efficient speakers.

Have a great weekend all 👍

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #658 of 680
Currently using HDVA600 and SMSL SU8 as dac. So far so good.

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #659 of 680
Phonitor 2 is doing an unexpectedly good job with my 800s. It feels very linear and yet I have no desire to EQ out the 6 KHz peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back