What's the best amp for HD800
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #617 of 680
Which do you prefer - the EL3N or the OTL?

That is a pretty tough call...depends on the mood really.
Both are wonderful amps...one an OTL and the other transformer output.
You can get the OTL cheaper and the tube rolling options are probably more than any other OTL amp you could get, so it is hard not to
recommend for the HD800.

That being said you get the one and two tube mode in the EL3N amp...but it does cost more....unless you go crazy with options in the OTL amp :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #618 of 680
I used to have one of the earlier iterations of the otl with some top tier tubes to go with it. But soon the rolling got in the way of listening so I sold it all. Had the el3n as well but sold it too coz someone wanted it badly. Perhaps I didn’t give it enough listening time. May consider revisiting it in the near future. And that one only needed to roll the rectifier was a bonus, cost wise

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #619 of 680
I used to have one of the earlier iterations of the otl with some top tier tubes to go with it. But soon the rolling got in the way of listening so I sold it all. Had the el3n as well but sold it too coz someone wanted it badly. Perhaps I didn’t give it enough listening time. May consider revisiting it in the near future. And that one only needed to roll the rectifier was a bonus, cost wise

Ha, I understand, it is hard not to want to try different tubes in the OTL amp.
Both amps are built to last, these are not wimpy amps.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #620 of 680
Where do you buy ECP amps? I can't find any retailer that carries it I think..

Just visit Doug's website and contact him directly via email. His top end amps are not cheap but they allow the hd800 to really compete with a top end Stax rig, not better but so so enjoyable to listen to. I have the ECP L3 and DSHA-4/Ravenswood and they really did end my search for amplifier for dynamic headphones. The DSHA-3 is likely the sweetest spot for the HD800. The DSHA-4 is basically the DSHA-3 with extra cool features such as more power, preamp capability, multiple inputs via relay, as well as different gain stages....high and low Output impedance options.

I was testing the L3 for Doug, and ending up just buying it.

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #622 of 680
Purk, do you reckon the L2 would also be a good match with Senns? specifically the HD600?

I would say yes but his DSHA-2 should be even better but I always love the L2.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #624 of 680
I have the dsha 1 which works exceptionally well with my Grados. Great with my HD600 as well. There’s a buddy who’s looking to offload his L2 so I’m mulling that.

I actually like the L2 quite a lot but do prefer the DSHA-1's bass output overall. It is all depending on the pair though. The L2 has slightly bigger soundstage while the DSHA-1 is more intimate. Really can't go wrong with any of Doug's amps.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #625 of 680
I find the dsha-1 to be pretty transparent and revealing of the sound of ancillaries paired with it. Change of cables have provided very satisfying results , as good as an amp or source change. So I’m kinda rolling cables now as opposed to tubes.

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #626 of 680
I find the dsha-1 to be pretty transparent and revealing of the sound of ancillaries paired with it. Change of cables have provided very satisfying results , as good as an amp or source change. So I’m kinda rolling cables now as opposed to tubes.

The DSHA-1 is transparent amplifier but it isn't neutral. Doug's DSHA-2 is more neutral IMO.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #627 of 680
Hi. Just need help on deciding on what amp shpuld i upgrade to?

I have the HD800(unmodded) and thiking of buying an amp. Currenty im using a mojo and vali2 and looking at either the matrix 3b, valhalla 2 or cayin iha6. Can you help me decide? I have max of 700$ budget

Thanks so much

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #628 of 680
Zana Deux Super + Yggy is a match made in heaven. Insanely resolving, dynamic, massive pinpoint soundstage, fleshy, just slightly warm enough to cool-down the HD800 treble peak.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #629 of 680
Hi,

Has anybody tried Quad PA-ONE paired with HD800?

Yes. Some (probably small, but still...) number of people.

One owner of the HD800 (reportedly) had them paired with the HDVA800 (Sennheisers amp tuned for HD800).
The owner had the listening session with his HD800 and the Quad Pa One, brought to him by his friend (that I have had correspondence with, here on Head-Fi) - for the listening session and comparison.

The owner (of the HD800) pulled the HDVA800 out of the mains socket and asked his wife to put that amp on the auction site, after hearing the HD800 with this tube amp.

I have heard reports about HD800 and Quad Pa One pretty much confirming this, as well as one review in the local press mentioning the same, but also pointing out that the amp worked with some more recent, renowned headphones.

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #630 of 680
Yggdrasil + Odyssey + HD800. There is none other. :wink:

IMG_3369.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back