What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 31, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #496 of 680
Your Chord Hugo is a DAc & amp itself. So you donot need to buy any more extra DAC

SheTzu you've misunderstood my post :wink:
I meant that I didn't receive my Hugo yet :wink: The black option was out of stock so I'm keep waiting second week now for delivery when they're ready :wink:
That's why I said I've got not DAC yet SheTzu :wink: Because I'm still waiting for delivery since last week :wink:
Thanks by the way for your keen advice SheTzu :wink:

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #497 of 680
JaZZ, guys...
Have you spending your money for hi-res audio albums please?
You do care much of SQ so that's why I couldn't stop myself to ask you this question pls?
I'm registered with HD Tracks.com because I were so after good quality albums... I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit. Obviously I can't tell yet if I can hear difference in SQ because I've got no DAC yet
wink.gif

After this purchase I've discovered some reviews against hi-res files, and I've learnt all the matter of our hearing capabilities etc, so I'm not after to hear again the whole story over here, but to hear from you,like friend to friend,if it's worth to get hi-res albums for example from HD Tracks.com please? Do you appreciate the higher recoring quality while compared to original CDs pls?
I'm aware of that my question is about very personal feelings and even if you're able to tell the difference reg SQ-I might not at all...
wink.gif

I highly suggest renting. Tidal, Spotify, redbook.rez etc. Do you listen to allot of pre 1980 music? A TT or reel to reel is the way to go if the answer is yes.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #498 of 680
I highly suggest renting. Tidal, Spotify, redbook.rez etc. Do you listen to allot of pre 1980 music? A TT or reel to reel is the way to go if the answer is yes.

Thanks for advice jibzilla...
I'm listening very wide spectrum of music because for me everything has its good sides and reasons, but mainly it's always rock side of music.
It used to be heavy metal but I've found myself not enjoying it that much any longer and I've discovered that this kind of music started tireing me after longer period of listetning to?
Too loud, too hard... I still like it but with my headphones on, I do enjoy now albums that I thought they aren't for me? So now I'm more after classic rock, '80s rock bands, some pop singers, unplugged albums or something like Metallica album with symphony orchestra... I do enjoy now to hear the instruments, the music rather than loudness if it's making any sense :wink:
Thank you, I didn't know I can renting :wink:

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #499 of 680
Am approaching purchase of a an endgame Amp.  Looking in the $1000 - $2000 price range.  Obviously am using the hd800. DAC is a Gumby.  I currently have an HDVA 600 and  Crack a/ Speedball. I really like the former and really love the later.  The plan is to sell the HDVA and get something that can compete with it in the realm of resolution and image precision but is closer to the Crack in terms of smoothness, holography, and dopamine induction ( highly technical audiophile term ). As good as the HDVA is in so many respects it's kinda sterile.
Currently am looking at:

Ragnorok
Mainline

Am happy to upgrade tubes if those tubes + amp < $2000.  DIY is a feature. Fully balanced is also a feature. 

Amps I know don't like with the HD800 are the Lyr 2 and the Asgard 2 and the Vali 2. ( I've owned or borrowed them all, still own the Lyr 2 love it with HE 560 ).  Can't afford  Cavalli, DNA, and so on... so unless ya got one to sell me on the cheap.... well I'd be happy to take that LG, Stratus, or Blue Hawaii off you hands for 1/3 what ya paid. 

Thanks in advance.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #500 of 680
@deserat
For me it's Torpedo III or mainline. Both parafeed, no feedback amps, the difference is differential. I think if you like the crack the mainline has that flavor but clean and mild, but in a direct comparison Torpedo III would outperform in dynamics and transparency.

The crack is also very good in it's own. I have a crackatwoa and can't deny it sounds very good, just the bass has too much bloom (could be tighter) and the treble has a veil to it, but the mid range is the magic it has the best mids and vocals, IMO better or at least equal to T3, maybe it's because it's an OTL with a simple circuit and the tubes add the right flavor for me.

Ragnarok if you intend to go to speakers in the future.

I may sell my Crackatwoa or Torpedo III can't figure out which one to let go or maybe both of them. PM me if your interested. I might sell both and get something amazing. But I might do a maxed out Crackatwoa build I am not sure if I can get it to perform better than the T3 but that's the goal. I think it's probably impossible to beat it since the T3 is a great design, the dynamics and transparency is on a Summit-Fi level.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #501 of 680
  @deserat
For me it's Torpedo III or mainline. Both parafeed, no feedback amps, the difference is differential. I think if you like the crack the mainline has that flavor but clean and mild, but in a direct comparison Torpedo III would outperform in dynamics and transparency.

The crack is also very good in it's own. I have a crackatwoa and can't deny it sounds very good, just the bass has too much bloom (could be tighter) and the treble has a veil to it, but the mid range is the magic it has the best mids and vocals, IMO better or at least equal to T3, maybe it's because it's an OTL with a simple circuit and the tubes add the right flavor for me.

Ragnarok if you intend to go to speakers in the future.

I may sell my Crackatwoa or Torpedo III can't figure out which one to let go or maybe both of them. PM me if your interested. I might sell both and get something amazing. But I might do a maxed out Crackatwoa build I am not sure if I can get it to perform better than the T3 but that's the goal. I think it's probably impossible to beat it since the T3 is a great design, the dynamics and transparency is on a Summit-Fi level.

Thanks for the info. I've been very intested in the Crackatwoa  but can't find a review of it to save my life. Asked on the Crack, S.E.X.  Mainline thread and nobody there has heard it either. That strkes me as odd for company with Bottlehead reputation. As tempted as I am to talk about buying yours if I'm going that route, I want the joy ( frustration ) of building it. 

Have you hear a built Crack or a Mainline? How does the Crackatwoa compare?  Leaning Mainline at this point. Missed the sell which is a bummer.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #502 of 680

Thanks for the info. I've been very intested in the Crackatwoa  but can't find a review of it to save my life. Asked on the Crack, S.E.X.  Mainline thread and nobody there has heard it either. That strkes me as odd for company with Bottlehead reputation. As tempted as I am to talk about buying yours if I'm going that route, I want the joy ( frustration ) of building it. 

Have you hear a built Crack or a Mainline? How does the Crackatwoa compare?  Leaning Mainline at this point. Missed the sell which is a bummer.

I built a crack in the past but sold it (my first real amp), the crackatwoa is just like the crack. Before in the past I had problem with the crack not presenting a wide enough sound stage, but the crackatwoa fixed that problem for me due to the shunt rectifying tubes. I think the crackatwoa is leaning so close to the price of a mainline, that it maybe the better purchase. The mainline would have more refinement in stock, the main advantage of parafeed topography is power supply ripple rejection is good (much more quiet than crack), the crack could also accomplish a low ripple also but with a brute force approach with chokes and big capacitors in the power supply, (which could be costly and so your better off getting a mainline), the crack also doesn't have a transformer, but high quality transformers made just for parafeed gets closer to quality of no transformer at all, but the crack's output impedance is high and it's borderline even with high impedance headphones, lowering the output with a different output tube such as 5998 or 7802 can lower the impedance more but probably not worth because those tubes are about $100+. I am still debating on the value judgement of upgrading or selling the crackatwoa.

I only heard the mainline at a meet briefly though. I think the mainline shares many of the same traits as my Torpedo III, very dynamic sounding (strong), great transient attack (fast), cleaner sounding, leaner sounding than the crack, more solid or hard sounding due to the lower output impedance, less bloom from tubes, less tube sounding overall, higher resolution. Although T3 is much better than the Crackatwoa but I still do enjoy the way the tubes color the sound, the T3 is a bit too lean sounding for me and maybe a bit too dynamic, while the crack has some magic in the mids. If you do get something like the T3 or Mainline you could probably get the best dac you can afford at that point.

I am also one of those weirdos who didn't love the speedball because it took away some of the tube magic. Sure it is impressive to hear such dynamics, but in the long run I like the amp that doesn't show off and just gets me sucked into the music and the crackatwoa does that for me.

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #503 of 680
Am approaching purchase of a an endgame Amp.  Looking in the $1000 - $2000 price range.  Obviously am using the hd800. DAC is a Gumby.  I currently have an HDVA 600 and  Crack a/ Speedball. I really like the former and really love the later.  The plan is to sell the HDVA and get something that can compete with it in the realm of resolution and image precision but is closer to the Crack in terms of smoothness, holography, and dopamine induction ( highly technical audiophile term ). As good as the HDVA is in so many respects it's kinda sterile.

Currently am looking at:

Ragnorok

Mainline

Am happy to upgrade tubes if those tubes + amp < $2000.  DIY is a feature. Fully balanced is also a feature. 

Amps I know don't like with the HD800 are the Lyr 2 and the Asgard 2 and the Vali 2. ( I've owned or borrowed them all, still own the Lyr 2 love it with HE 560 ).  Can't afford  Cavalli, DNA, and so on... so unless ya got one to sell me on the cheap.... well I'd be happy to take that LG, Stratus, or Blue Hawaii off you hands for 1/3 what ya paid. 

Thanks in advance.

Try looking into a few OTL amps if you like the sound of the Crack. The higher impedance OTL amps give bass & the extra body the HD800 needs to not sound so sterile.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #504 of 680
Good to see you post and you enjoying your gear and music. I am now contemplating in getting a tube amp just for self satisfaction. I like the mojo with Hd 800 too but since Hd800 gives all details some music sound weird. Yes agree with your last few lines. Cheers :D

You know what man? Do it!! Variety is a wicked spice of life!! Having a solid state vs a tube amp, especially a vacuum tube one, is entirely different. I think I'm pretty dead set on grabbing the WA 8. Hopefully around Christmas time I will have it!! Have a slight music addiction and I can't stop buying CD's, but I'm doing my best to curb my spending to grab this sucker.
I hear nothing but praises by many on here by how the WA 8 and HD 800 C or S is a beautiful pairing. Is it the best amp for our beloved HD 800's? To be continued.... :)
Talk soon my friend. And again. Sorry for the delayed response. :punch:

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #505 of 680
You know what man? Do it!! Variety is a wicked spice of life!! Having a solid state vs a tube amp, especially a vacuum tube one, is entirely different. I think I'm pretty dead set on grabbing the WA 8. Hopefully around Christmas time I will have it!! Have a slight music addiction and I can't stop buying CD's, but I'm doing my best to curb my spending to grab this sucker.
I hear nothing but praises by many on here by how the WA 8 and HD 800 C or S is a beautiful pairing. Is it the best amp for our beloved HD 800's? To be continued....
smily_headphones1.gif

Talk soon my friend. And again. Sorry for the delayed response. :punch:

Hello nephilim32. I finally got the  Burson Soloist MK2. I also plan for a tube sound so am going ahead ordering the WA6 with Sophia Princess upgrade tubes along with drive upgrades in a months time or perhaps in christmas.. In fact all woo amps are excellent. I am glad your shopping spree of CDS keeps you involved and am sure the WA 8 will bring big smiles and excitement.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #506 of 680
I'm looking to get a new cheap SS amp for my hd800's. Used to use a bottlehead crack but i didn't like being a tube amp the random noises/glitches when i was idling. Wondering if i should get a schiit vali or magni 2 uber or what else around that price would do?

Cheers

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #509 of 680
  I'm looking to get a new cheap SS amp for my hd800's. Used to use a bottlehead crack but i didn't like being a tube amp the random noises/glitches when i was idling. Wondering if i should get a schiit vali or magni 2 uber or what else around that price would do?

Cheers

I do like Schiit products. Having listened to the HD 800 through the Vali 2, Magni,  Asgard 2, and Lyr 2 I can tell you that in my opinion those are not great amps for that headphone. Mids are ok, treble is sibilant and bass is lacking. I have heard all of these amps for extended periods ( It's important to note that the amps don't exhibit what I just described with my HE560, the amps are great. The pairing wit the HD800 is what's bad.) . The HD 800 is pretty partial higher output impedance, and they become magical only when properly amped.  I've not heard it yet but if you are partial to Schiit I have heard good things about the Valhalla 2, which you can probably find on ebay in your price range.  Unlike a poorly built Crack or Crack with bad tubes it should be dead silent, I have a Lyr 2 ( not in use with HD800 ) and it only crackled a tiny bit when I put NOS tubes in it, once the tubes burned in it stopped and has been silent ever since. Schiit builds quality.

Would be interesting to hear what people think is a good SS amp in your price range.  

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #510 of 680

Cheers

Just fix your bottlehead crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back