What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #451 of 680

I don't like the HD800 S, so me neither. I just replaced the removable liner in the cups with the non-slip matting with a hole over the driver. I've been using that mod since 2014 since I saw it at the SoCal meet. 

I know this foamy modding cost $11 on ebay or other sites. But do you think it makes the difference in sound and bring the Hd 800 to the level of the new Black Hd800. You are the best judge to give the impressions. Also could you let me know more on the upgrade cables whether you are using balance or single ended cardas or something else. Cheers

Here's an older thread of mine about HD800 cables. I need to update it with the new Kimber cable. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729266/hd-800-cable-comparison-alo-audio-wywires-norne-furutech

Single-ended vs. balanced has to do with the amp topology and nothing to do with the headphones at all. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #452 of 680

Here's an older thread of mine about HD800 cables. I need to update it with the new Kimber cable. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729266/hd-800-cable-comparison-alo-audio-wywires-norne-furutech

Single-ended vs. balanced has to do with the amp topology and nothing to do with the headphones at all. 

Thanks. Will look into that. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #453 of 680

I was going through your past post. If I understand correctly the Wywires is better to iHP35H and other listed cables Right. Is it the Red model cable you got from Wywires which brings down the 6.3KHZ of the 800s. Did you get a balanced connector or the 6.3 and if  a 6.3 to 3.5 adapter is connected to this cable for any source will it make any difference in the performance of the cable.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #454 of 680
I understood your lesson icebear and I'm appreciate for all the knowledge you're passing to me.
It seems like I didn't make a point while sharing what I'm listening...
I should be more precise.
I'm sorry.
I meant - I'm changing...
I'm changing because of what I've heard through HD598 cans. The heavy metal did sound different, it was like discovering the same bands once again... I did notice someting more than rhytm only, I went beyond it and I did touch the instrumental part that was hidden before...
Without good sounding headphones it's all dimmed and unenjoyable...
I didn't listen to jazz or classic because I couldn't hear it as I may should...
The metal bands like Therion and similar groups are partially instrumental, using symphony and vocals... All sort of mixed sound stages... Nightwish band is all about woman vocal , kind of ophera...
This is all I started hear with better headphones. I'm on my path now to discover new music, I do like classic too, not all of it though, not yet?
It's just beginning, I'm changing and starting appreciate the clear sound icebear :wink: I am thank you for your advises :wink:

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #455 of 680
Yes, slight misunderstanding, rule #5.1 was meant for you ...
When I see your music preference, I think you should do yourself a favor and look for a different headphone than the HD800.
It will only tell you what is wrong in all those recordings which are meant for a solid fun listening experience and not as authentic reproduction of e.g. acoustic instruments or voices for audiophile listeners.
Listening to such music via the HD800 is like drinking a cold beer from a high stem Bordeaux wine glass instead of directly out of the bottle, ... don't get me started on cans though:rolleyes:

Most of the folks complaining about negative aspects of the HD800, who try to modify it, or use tube amps to make it suit their musical preference better, might be better off from the start with a different headphone altogether.
Just my 2 cents, enjoy the ride.:wink:

While I am inclined to agree with icebear on this one, I happen to own those recordings and often listen to them on my GS-X mk2 and HD800. That system isn't going to make the recordings sound better, but it doesn't sound bad at all to me.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #456 of 680

I was going through your past post. If I understand correctly the Wywires is better to iHP35H and other listed cables Right. Is it the Red model cable you got from Wywires which brings down the 6.3KHZ of the 800s. Did you get a balanced connector or the 6.3 and if  a 6.3 to 3.5 adapter is connected to this cable for any source will it make any difference in the performance of the cable.

I don't think any of the cables change the frequency response, but other than the Furutech, they seem to make the sound nicer. 

I bought tails for various connections, so i don't need adaptors.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #457 of 680
Guys...
You must know all sort of audiophile albums, please, any advises of vocal audiophile recordings to let me try hear what the real artists are about :wink:
What's must have? :wink:

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #458 of 680
  Hello Just my 2 cents. Preference of how to listen and what to listen and what gear one prefers depends upon individuals. It is no point passing judgement and saying that anyone wanting to hear the HD800 with a tube amp is better off with a different headphones.. Everyone has different hearing and different tastes. I have also different headphones and like them with different gear. Cheers

What's you favorite headphone when you listen to your preferred rock music?
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #459 of 680
Pogart...

Take care not to let you talk into thinking you need a (tube) amp after you've got your Hugo to make your HD 650 / HD 800 sound even better. The Hugo will drive both with ease, with extremely low harmonic distortion, has power in spades for them. Any external amp will add harmonic distortion, but not accuracy. The signal from the Hugo (or Mojo) can't be made more pure and accurate than it is – note that line out and headphone out share the same signal path, so there's no electronics components to be bypassed. Unfortunately it's common practice on Head-Fi to add amps to everything and to spend money for shiny new gear, and maybe it's hard to resist the peer pressure. As an excuse for those on this path there's to be acknowledged that adding harmonic distortion can work like an equalizer or euphonizer, and many «audiophiles» aren't interested in high fidelity in the first place. However, I strongly recommend you to use a (software) equalizer if you're not entirely satisfied with the sonic balance instead of useless re-amping. And congratulations on your choice!
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #460 of 680

What's you favorite headphone when you listen to your preferred rock music?
wink.gif

Hello Iceberg. Thanks for asking. In my opinion many Live concerts of rock music dont sound very good on the Hd800. I prefer the Fidelio X2 for rock etc. But some music is heavy on bass which I try to avoid with the X2 and prefer my Shure 535 . Acoustic jazz & classical I prefer on my Hd800. Vocals too. Prefer the clarity and detail  and spaciousness. How about you
wink.gif

Also though I have a great Dac like Chord Mojo and have had no issues with my HD800 it is my choice and for my satisfaction I am wanting to get a Tube amp not because of what people may say or through any pressure. It is only for my satisfaction and a little change in sound. So I am deciding upon the Ray Samuel's Raptor which I think is a good amp. If you wish to share your inputs please do so. It is always a welcome sign. Cheers

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #461 of 680
I know this thread is a little old but I only got my HD800s recently and have yet to figure out what amp I'd like to get. Currently, all I have is a Creek OBH-11.

I just bought a Shange/Raccoon SG-200 whicjh is said to be a tiny bit warm. Is this any good?

What do you guys think of the Little Dot MK II ?

How about the SPL Auditor?

Also, why doesn't anyone mention Sennheiser's own HDVD800 amp?

Should I just upgrade the Creek instead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Try creek obh21mkii i luv it with hd 800 s , it is a verygood amp all it needs is hype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #462 of 680
Pogart...

Take care not to let you talk into thinking you need a (tube) amp after you've got your Hugo to make your HD 650 / HD 800 sound even better. The Hugo will drive both with ease, with extremely low harmonic distortion, has power in spades for them. Any external amp will add harmonic distortion, but not accuracy. The signal from the Hugo (or Mojo) can't be made more pure and accurate than it is – note that line out and headphone out share the same signal path, so there's no electronics components to be bypassed. Unfortunately it's common practice on Head-Fi to add amps to everything and to spend money for shiny new gear, and maybe it's hard to resist the peer pressure. As an excuse for those on this path there's to be acknowledged that adding harmonic distortion can work like an equalizer or euphonizer, and many «audiophiles» aren't interested in high fidelity in the first place. However, I strongly recommend you to use a (software) equalizer if you're not entirely satisfied with the sonic balance instead of useless re-amping. And congratulations on your choice! :wink:  

Thank you JaZZ for taking a part in teaching me some lessons.
I'm the guy who upgraded HD598 to HD650 and has discovered that the proper amp is a must to compliment the audio experience. With last year HD598 on my ears connected to my mobilephone or PC I was amazed with better sounds of my well known albums and I didn't dig up any deeper to find out if this is all I need, I didn't care? With this upgrade to HD650 I've started searching reviews of how to make the sound even better and soon after few reviews I've realised that I need good amp :wink:
I won't bore you with whole the story but I've learnt that at the first place I need good DAC and in my case it's Hugo... It's out of stock and they've promised to send me it next week...
Waiting waiting waiting.....
Yes, the tube amps have interested me because it's all new to me and the tubes used for those amps reminded me the old tv's and radios working on tubes and as far as I know the tubes used to be very well suitable to produce very high end audio gears if I'm right :wink: ?
So as far as you know JaZZ I haven't had a chance to hear good quality audio yet :wink: Hugo will come at the end of next week :wink: Our friend icebear has mentioned that for the type of music I'm listening it might be even wrong choice of headphones I'm aiming to (HD800s)... This is makes me thinking twice if I ever will need anything better than Hugo for my listening needs :wink: Probably I can't be ever good with pure classic music as I preffer the harder rhytm and sound with a bit of power , and the perfect match I find with metal/rock bands using both, the rock sound with orchestra, vocals and sort of such music... I like all music though, what's counts to me is the very good clear sounding albums capable of delivering pleasure to listen to.
In this case it's not matter to me if this is classic, rock, jazz or any other type of music, what's matter is emotions included by the artists who can let me feel the whole story locked up in particular audio recorings...
I think JaZZ you're right, I think the Hugo will be enough to let me enjoy the whole spectrum of different music I'm listening, but I'm opened to try out the tube amp if I can, to find out if it's something to upgrade to in my case :wink: The Chord Hugo must be amazing ...
I've tried Oppo HA-2 for a week and returned it with many doubts regarding it's SQ, and the issues and disruptions while trying to listen music from my Android mobilephone, this was the main reason to return it... While connected to the PC I weren't amazed with better SQ at all? No reasons then to keep it... I could buy 5 Oppos instead of one Hugo... It tells me a lot of how good the Hugo might be compared to Oppo HA-2? I believe JaZZ that the Hugo is the thing I need to feel fully emotions given me by all spectrum of music I'm listening to and I'm opened now to try everything else when my Hugo + HD650 will be ready :wink: Pure classic maybe? A jazz probably at the first place as it is music for soul too, I like to try all of it because I'm ready to hear the difference and I think that from now I'm able to discover something new to me,emotional too and interesting being on opposite side of hard rock music itself?
Thank you.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #463 of 680
  Hello Iceberg. Thanks for asking. In my opinion many Live concerts of rock music dont sound very good on the Hd800. I prefer the Fidelio X2 for rock etc. But some music is heavy on bass which I try to avoid with the X2 and prefer my Shure 535 . Acoustic jazz & classical I prefer on my Hd800. Vocals too. Prefer the clarity and detail  and spaciousness. How about you
wink.gif

Also though I have a great Dac like Chord Mojo and have had no issues with my HD800 it is my choice and for my satisfaction I am wanting to get a Tube amp not because of what people may say or through any pressure. It is only for my satisfaction and a little change in sound. So I am deciding upon the Ray Samuel's Raptor which I think is a good amp. If you wish to share your inputs please do so. It is always a welcome sign. Cheers

Tube amps and HD800 are like peanut butter & jelly. Tubes change the sound a good bit and tube rolling is fun finding the perfect combo per your taste. 

The Ragnarok sounds great w/ HD800 with the right dac.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #464 of 680
Hey nephilim32. How have you been man. Its been a while. I have been enjoying my HD800 with Chord Mojo for the time being and have liked every moment so far. Now time has come to get a bigger amp for my HD 800. I shortlisted 3 Ray Samuels Raptor ($1200), Burson Soloist MK II ($500) & Artist Audio Heron 5 ($1000). However a friend of mine already imported the Burson directly from Australia which I intend to try shortly. If it sounds fantastic as you claimed and are the best judge I would go for it and continue to use Mojo as the Dac for a while. Perhaps later  will decide for Arcam Dac. AS my priority now is to get a good amp thatt would tame the Hd 800 and give a good musical sound by bring down its 6 khz peak to a bit of more pleasant sound. Got to keep the finances in control too. Haha:beerchug:

Hey mr. ****z! I'm very well, man. Been enjoying my music the best way I know how as per usual. Thank you for asking. Still all smiles with my gear and music. What could be better? Anyway, sorry for the late reply. Been working like a dog...lots of overtime hrs though. I'm saving up for a Woo Audio Eclipse to pair with my AK jr and Sony MDR z7's and HD 800 (classic) :)
The MK soloist is different slightly in power supply and VRMS out put than the Soloist SL.
Doesn't have a The same short circuitry pathway either. However, the reviews for the smaller mk are quite good, but spec wise on paper the soloist SL appears to be the better amp. Nowadays though you really can't go purely based on specs anyway. I hope you enjoy the MK and with the Mojo's DAC that will surely be a delight. Please report back to me how you like the Mk soloist paired with the HD 800 against the other amps you are interested in like the RS Raptor. :)
My knowledge and experience only lies with the soloist SL out of all the amps you listed, so it will be great to hear back from you for how you like them.
Enjoy your sonic universe. Music is timeless and it is my best friend in life, so putting hard earned money towards quality gear is entirely worth it for me. I hope it is for you as well.

Happy listening, my friend.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #465 of 680

I don't think any of the cables change the frequency response, but other than the Furutech, they seem to make the sound nicer. 

I bought tails for various connections, so i don't need adaptors.

Thanks Noted. Should cost me $349 I guess. Will check on the tails of the cable too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back