What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 26, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #436 of 680
Hey Pogart - just a few words about your search and future satisfaction.  The advantages of tube amps over solid state amps are that they give you a warmer, softer and more musical sound usually with a wider sound stage.  Also,you can do some tube swapping to change and alter the sound to your own liking (and besides, 'tubing' can be a fun offshoot hobby.
I'm currently  running my Sennheiser HD-800 from a EHHA hybrid amp and my beloved Headroom Maxed Out Home Headphone Amplifier (and I'm quite satisfied).
Have fun in your search for sonic bliss.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #437 of 680
Thank to your comments I'm very convinced now that the Hugo is the amp well worth my effort to buy it...
Actually it's like 5 of Oppo HA-2 so you know... I was worry if it's not going to be mistake to pay that much for such a little thing
wink.gif

I wish you to get your dreamed tube amp as soon as possible then! I am planning to use Hugo until I would can afford to get tube amp to make my music dream even up to higher level
wink.gif

I'm thinking of HP upgrade too and my target is HD800S
wink.gif

When I'm ready
wink.gif

You know ... All about the money
wink.gif

There is one thing that I need to dig a bit deeper into the subject, though.
The high res files...
I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit 96Hz from HD Tracks.com but as I'm not ready with my stuff yet, I don't know if I'll notice any difference regarding the CDs quality... There is a lot of rumours too if this is really something to go for it and I've read many of different points of view and I know what our ears are able of... So I'm waiting for Hugo to come to find out on myself if I can notice any difference compared to CD's quality? Have got your own experience in this matter please?

The mojo has better codecs than Hugo. Mojo goes upto 768khz whereas Hugo is upto 384khz. in PCM. DSD mojo is upto 256 and Hugo is upto DSD128. Mojo is good bargain for cost and dynamics. Check Massdrop for Heron 5 amp too . it is a solid state amp but has excellent equation with HD 800. On 2nd thoughts I may commit to buy this amp over the tubes for the time being. Reason: This would cost me 750$ and in another 300$ I can later look at the Bottlehead Crack Tube amp for the HD. So in cost of $1050 I can get 2 amps, but if I go for Ray Samuels Raptor Tube amp I would pay $1175 plus shipping cost of course for all that I order. So is this not Logical. Think and decide before you take the leap. Just imagine you get two big fantastic amps with huge sound stage for the cost of one  and both a SS & a Tube Amp. Dont forget that Mojo/ Hugo amp is good enough to drive big cans too.Cheers

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #438 of 680
  Mojo goes upto 768khz whereas Hugo is upto 384khz. in PCM. DSD mojo is upto 256 and Hugo is upto DSD128. 

None of which matters. The key to the design is the performance with regular CD quality music which is widely available. 

I found that modding and re-cabling the HD800s was cheaper and better value than buying an expensive tube amp to compensate for what I don't like about their presentation. Now I do have an expensive tube amp though! 
smile.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #439 of 680

None of which matters. The key to the design is the performance with regular CD quality music which is widely available. 

I found that modding and re-cabling the HD800s was cheaper and better value than buying an expensive tube amp to compensate for what I don't like about their presentation. Now I do have an expensive tube amp though! 
smile.gif

Hey Currawong. Great to hear from you been a while. Yes I agree but its the mindset.  I thought of modding earlier  but got dragged into making the mindset of buying  a tube amp. However appreciate if you could share more details on modding and links for purchase of cables etc
However, if it comes to modding of superdupont I would not do that on my brand new HP. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #440 of 680

smile.gif

Hey Currawong. Great to hear from you been a while. Yes I agree but its the mindset.  I thought of modding earlier  but got dragged into making the mindset of buying  a tube amp. However appreciate if you could share more details on modding and links for purchase of cables etc
However, if it comes to modding of superdupont I would not do that on my brand new HP. 
beerchug.gif

I don't like the HD800 S, so me neither. I just replaced the removable liner in the cups with the non-slip matting with a hole over the driver. I've been using that mod since 2014 since I saw it at the SoCal meet. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #441 of 680

I don't like the HD800 S, so me neither. I just replaced the removable liner in the cups with the non-slip matting with a hole over the driver. I've been using that mod since 2014 since I saw it at the SoCal meet. 

I know this foamy modding cost $11 on ebay or other sites. But do you think it makes the difference in sound and bring the Hd 800 to the level of the new Black Hd800. You are the best judge to give the impressions. Also could you let me know more on the upgrade cables whether you are using balance or single ended cardas or something else. Cheers

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #442 of 680
  I know this foamy modding cost $11 on ebay or other sites. But do you think it makes the difference in sound and bring the Hd 800 to the level of the new Black Hd800. You are the best judge to give the impressions. Also could you let me know more on the upgrade cables whether you are using balance or single ended cardas or something else. Cheers

The Super Dupont Resonator mod makes the HD 800 close to the HD 800S, by reducing that 6khz treble peak in the same way the HD 800s did it (with a helmholtz resonator).

The Rug Liner in question would be this one. https://www.rugpadusa.com/products/comfort-grip
My impressions was it reduced reflections inside the cup and also helped bring out the midrange by reducing the treble a little bit. While putting too much reduced the stage and putting just the right amount didn't effect the sound stage much while increasing clarity and mids.

I currently use both of the mods along with cork lining the metal part and plastic parts of the headphone. The mods make the HD 800 more balanced in the frequency range and even more clarity. I don't use dust covers on mines, you don't
need to after the mods, but it's a preference.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #443 of 680

HD800S and HD800 with the @Sorrodje 's mod don't sound the same. I prefer the latter. And this mod doesn't have any noticeable impact on the whole sound except taming the treble peak a bit in my experience.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #446 of 680
Hahahaaa :wink: icebear you got me!
It seems I messed up but the post was addressed to Shetzu regarding my question of hi-res audio experience...
I've found this article and I thought I'll post it as an answer to my own question, that's it icebear :wink:
Sorry for annoying but it wasn't for purpose :wink:
I see that you and some other forum members aren't that much after HD800/800s? Why then I'm going to get them? You know, now I think they're just above (better) the others HDs...
I've tried HD598, now I've got HD650 so my next step is going to be HD800 or HD800s... Am I wrong?
I'm reading conversation between Shetzu and Currawong and advices how to make the HD800 to sound even better by audiojun and lukeap69... I've had no clue that I can change something on Headphones :wink: Dustcover? I need to dig this subject up :wink:
Thanks Charliex for sharing your experience regarding tube amps :wink:
I'm making my very first steps in headphone amps word, everything is new to me :wink: I've had to start at some point,though :wink: So I'm starting with HD650 and Chord Hugo and flac files/ CDs and with Iron Maiden 24bit album bought at HD Tracks.com :wink: As you know I'm VERY confused about hi-res 24bit audio... At the moment I don't know if I should upgrade to HD800 as some tube amps doing best with mine HD650?
Trouble is that you guys are experienced and you know what you like,but I'm newbe and I'm collecting too much information at once :wink:
I'll try to do not get lost :wink:
Thanks a lot all of you...

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #447 of 680
Hahahaaa
wink.gif
icebear you got me!
I see that you and some other forum members aren't that much after HD800/800s? Why then I'm going to get them? You know, now I think they're just above (better) the others HDs...
I've tried HD598, now I've got HD650 so my next step is going to be HD800 or HD800s... Am I wrong?

If you check my profile, you'll see that I have a HD800 paired with a headamp GSX-Mk2 ... and I love it.
But I have a restricted music preference (classical and jazz, mostly acoustic) which by chance aligns very well with the HD800's sound profile.
I made a journey until I arrived at my current set up and each step revealed an improvement and clearly showed that the HD800 was not the limiting factor in the game.

1. single ended (w. stock cable) into DAC (e20MkIII) headphone output
2. balanced with Norne Vanquish and DIY hooked to speaker terminals First Watt M2
3. balanced w. Norne Vanquish into 2x 3pin XLR GSX-Mk2, source SA11s3 (XLR interconnect).

So when you are going to try to push the limits of what the HD800 are capable of and don't want to spend more for source and amp than what the headphone cost ... this will be a challenge to put it mildly.
Good luck anyway.
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #448 of 680
So it looks like I got you wrong icebear... I thought you're not too happy with the HD800 because of your note # Personal Audio Rule #5.1 : Don't get a HD800 # so I thought you don't like it :wink: Sorry for misunderstanding.
Icebear I think I'll never get that far, even close to where you're now :wink:
At the moment it's all over my mind :wink:
Lets give me some time, to hear the clear music, to learn something, to get some experience... Then maybe I'll be more brave to try to modify something like upgrading the headphone cable or other things... I didn't hear the sound coming out of HD800 yet so I can't tell a thing whether I'd preffer its sound or not :wink:
I'm havy metal fan, hard rock and pop sometimes... Just now because of new headphones and an amp I'm starting collecting the unplugged albums of MTV Unplugged for example, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Metallica with Symphony...
It's all new to my ears and I haven't received the Hugo yet! Hugo will come next week due to out of stock the black option... So all I'm listening now is played straight from my Android phone or computer through HD650... I love it already so can't wait to listen to it again with Hogo help :wink:
I am learning from you my friends everything and you're showing me how little I know... Thank you.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #449 of 680
.... # Personal Audio Rule #5.1 : Don't get a HD800 # ....
I'm havy metal fan, hard rock and pop sometimes... Just now because of new headphones and an amp I'm starting collecting the unplugged albums of MTV Unplugged for example, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Metallica with Symphony......

Yes, slight misunderstanding, rule #5.1 was meant for you ...
When I see your music preference, I think you should do yourself a favor and look for a different headphone than the HD800.
It will only tell you what is wrong in all those recordings which are meant for a solid fun listening experience and not as authentic reproduction of e.g. acoustic instruments or voices for audiophile listeners.
Listening to such music via the HD800 is like drinking a cold beer from a high stem Bordeaux wine glass instead of directly out of the bottle, ... don't get me started on cans though
rolleyes.gif

Most of the folks complaining about negative aspects of the HD800, who try to modify it, or use tube amps to make it suit their musical preference better, might be better off from the start with a different headphone altogether.
Just my 2 cents, enjoy the ride.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #450 of 680

Yes, slight misunderstanding, rule #5.1 was meant for you ...
When I see your music preference, I think you should do yourself a favor and look for a different headphone than the HD800.
It will only tell you what is wrong in all those recordings which are meant for a solid fun listening experience and not as authentic reproduction of e.g. acoustic instruments or voices for audiophile listeners.
Listening to such music via the HD800 is like drinking a cold beer from a high stem Bordeaux wine glass instead of directly out of the bottle, ... don't get me started on cans though
rolleyes.gif

Most of the folks complaining about negative aspects of the HD800, who try to modify it, or use tube amps to make it suit their musical preference better, might be better off from the start with a different headphone altogether.
Just my 2 cents, enjoy the ride.
wink.gif

Hello Just my 2 cents. Preference of how to listen and what to listen and what gear one prefers depends upon individuals. It is no point passing judgement and saying that anyone wanting to hear the HD800 with a tube amp is better off with a different headphones.. Everyone has different hearing and different tastes. I have also different headphones and like them with different gear. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back