What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #421 of 680
  Keep in mind that an amp has a flat FR and will not filter/EQ the 6 KHz peak.

Tks. Noted. I know it would not filter but at least these amops maybe able to tame it a bit and bring don the distortion  a bit.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #422 of 680
  Tks. Noted. I know it would not filter but at least these amops maybe able to tame it a bit and bring don the distortion  a bit.

That peak is not what is considered to be distortion. I don't see how it would tame it. Some people think that a tube amp will generate more even harmonics that will do this, IMO that is not true. Firstly I would not want an amp to alter the original material and change the character of what was recorded. Also, good tube amps have distortion levels that are well below what humans can detect.
Dealing with such a peak will probably leave the below options.
  • Modify the headphones
  • Get an Equalizer (hardware or software).
  • Or what might be more painful to the wallet, get a different pair of headphones that is more pleasing to your ear.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #423 of 680

Headphone amps are still a bit of a niche market so it can be very hard to demo them before buying, unfortunately.
Are you set on solid state or would you be interested in tubes?

The DAC on the HDVD800 is the weak link so if you are open to getting seperates you are better off doing so. 

Yes, I agree with this as well.  I am not quite sure what Senn was thinking when they use that DAC in there.  It isn't bad at all per say but the DAC on my PHA-3 is superior to it.  The biggest downer for that DAC it its lack of perceive depth for me.

Also, if you guys are still the market for an amp for the HD800...I can't recommend Doug's ECP DSHA-2 enough.  This desktop friendly amp priced at or around $2200 is better sounding with the HD800 than the Questyle Monoblock as well as the GS-X MKII.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #425 of 680
  That peak is not what is considered to be distortion. I don't see how it would tame it. Some people think that a tube amp will generate more even harmonics that will do this, IMO that is not true. Firstly I would not want an amp to alter the original material and change the character of what was recorded. Also, good tube amps have distortion levels that are well below what humans can detect.
Dealing with such a peak will probably leave the below options.
  • Modify the headphones
  • Get an Equalizer (hardware or software).
  • Or what might be more painful to the wallet, get a different pair of headphones that is more pleasing to your ear.

I would not like to tweak the headphones  or buy any new hardware. I am only looking for a good desktop amp that would sound great with hd800 like I have mentioned in my previous posts. For example Sustain84 is a good tube amp. I am open to both SS & Tube amp but many say Tube amp has a good equation with Hd 800. I should be able to make my decision after testing the Burson this week.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #426 of 680
Hi my friends.
I've made up my decision - I've order the Chord Hugo... Don't laugh at me please if you think It's wrong choice.
Honesty I've spent last two weeks everyday searching answers which one amp+dac to buy... I do like very much your amps handmade in US but as you know,they aren't available in UK or it's difficult to get them. I had to look into my pocket too... A week ago I've sent back the Oppo HA-2. I did like the price and the reviews so I thought It'll work for my needs?
I don't know but I didn't enjoy it?
Honesty? I didn't notice much improvement of the SQ compared to listening my music straight off the mobilephone or PC..? Maybe I'm wrong or deaf but I couldn't see much improvement the Oppo might have gave me? So after one week I've returned it.
By searching online reviews, comments and asking you my friends questions, I've learned that the DAC is the THING that's making the big difference in audio playback quality?
Because of my pocket capabilities I knew I can't win the war and I have to agree to what I can afford right now.
The top edge was up to...£1500?
I've learned that Sennheiser HDVD800 is good amp but not so good DAC...
Oppo HA-1 has got some good reviews but I think in both as an amp and DAC is even worsed than Sennheiser...
I thought I'm about to choose between them two...
Then I've found Chord Hugo manufactured by Chord Electronics in UK...
They've got many of different amps and the Hugo is their first step into kind of portable stuff, but I'm not about portable as I mainly need it for home use only. I might be wrong but after few weeks of research the reviews have made me believe that Hugo is actually very good piece of amp and its DAC got some innovations that makes Hugo unique and sets this amp above average?
All I were looking for was to be able to HEAR the music better than ever ago.
Compared Hogo's price to the mentioned Oppo ha-2 is like buying four ha-2 instead of one Hugo :wink: I haven't try it yet as it is on its way to me, but I haven't hear any of complains regarding Hugo sound quality and the DAC itself yet, and looking at the price differences I bet the Hugo will deliver to my ears some improvements? I hope it'll do :wink:
I'm not sure if there will be some advantage to connect it to my home cinema system? Do you think it might improve the sound quality please?
I've got Panasonic blu-ray connected to Yamaha AV receiver RX-V777 and Monitor Audio R90 speakers set...
But will it improve the SQ if playing a CDs from blu-ray will pass the Hugo and then go to AV receiver?
Thank you for any comments and I'm sory if I've disappointed many of you by making my choice...
Thank you for all your help indeed.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #427 of 680
Hi my friends.
I've made up my decision - I've order the Chord Hugo... Don't laugh at me please if you think It's wrong choice.
Honesty I've spent last two weeks everyday searching answers which one amp+dac to buy... I do like very much your amps handmade in US but as you know,they aren't available in UK or it's difficult to get them. I had to look into my pocket too... A week ago I've sent back the Oppo HA-2. I did like the price and the reviews so I thought It'll work for my needs?
I don't know but I didn't enjoy it?
Honesty? I didn't notice much improvement of the SQ compared to listening my music straight off the mobilephone or PC..? Maybe I'm wrong or deaf but I couldn't see much improvement the Oppo might have gave me? So after one week I've returned it.
By searching online reviews, comments and asking you my friends questions, I've learned that the DAC is the THING that's making the big difference in audio playback quality?
Because of my pocket capabilities I knew I can't win the war and I have to agrre to what I can afford right now.
The top edge was up to...£1500?
I've learned that Sennheiser HDVD800 is good amp but not so good DAC...
Oppo HA-1 has got some good reviews but I think in both as an amp and DAC is even worsed than Sennheiser...
Then I've found Chord Hugo manufactured by Chord Electronics in UK...
They've got many of different amps and the Hugo is their first step into kind of portable stuff, but I'm not about portable as I mainly need it for home use only. I might be wrong but after few weeks of research the reviews have made me believe that Hugo is actually very good piece of amp and its DAC got some innovations that makes Hugo unique and sets this amp above average?
All I were looking for was to be able to HEAR the music better than ever ago.
Compared Hogo's price to the mentioned Oppo ha-2 is like buying two ha-2 instead of one Hugo
wink.gif
I haven't try it yet as it is on its way to me, but I haven't hear any of complains regarding Hugo sound quality and the DAC itself yet, and looking at the price differences I bet the Hugo will deliver to my ears some improvements? I hope it'll do
wink.gif

I'm not sure if there will be some advatage to connect it to my home cinema system? Do you think it might improve the sound quality please?
I've got Panasonic blue-ray connected to Yamaha AV receiver RX-V777 and Monitor Audio R90 speakers set...
Honesty I've got no clue now where to plug Hugo in to this set
wink.gif
if ever
wink.gif

I guess between blue-ray and Yamaha AV receiver?... because to AV reveiver are connected all the speakers
wink.gif

But will it improve the SQ then if playing a CD from blue-ray will pass the Hugo and then go to AV receiver?
Thank you for any comments and I'm sory if I've disappointed many of you by making my choice...
Thank you for all your help indeed.

You made the right choice. I have the chord mojo for a while which I use as the DAC for my HD800. Now shortly I plan to buy Tube amp of Ray Samuels  which will make my gear complete for now. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #429 of 680
Thank you Shetzu.
You've mentioned tube amp...
Actually I've heard on this forum first about tubes. I'm just on my 'track' to learn some how they do work and about the tubes itself which to buy because it looks like it's many of them giving different sound. I've found some review of Chinese made tube amp ;

http://www.yuking09.com/product/la-figaro-339/

The guy who's written that review is so after this La-Figaro-339 and he also mention what tubes to mix to get best sound out of it. At the moment I've got Sennheiser HD650 and actually he says it's best match even over HD800?
I like this review but I know there is many tube amps out there and this is only one man point of view so that's why I'll try to make my choice which tube amp to buy while enjoying Hugo till then :wink:
Thank you for your answer :wink:

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #430 of 680
Thank you Shetzu.
You've mentioned tube amp...
Actually I've heard on this forum first about tubes. I'm just on my 'track' to learn some how they do work and about the tubes itself which to buy because it looks like it's many of them giving different sound. I've found some review of Chinese made tube amp ;

http://www.yuking09.com/product/la-figaro-339/

The guy who's written that review is so after this La-Figaro-339 and he also mention what tubes to mix to get best sound out of it. At the moment I've got Sennheiser HD650 and actually he says it's best match even over HD800?
I like this review but I know there is many tube amps out there and this is only one man point of view so that's why I'll try to make my choice which tube amp to buy while enjoying Hugo till then
wink.gif

Thank you for your answer
wink.gif

Different tubes will give different sound. If you like Tube rolling then better to keep few sets of tubes as per liking. Yes agree many Chinese companies make Tube amps. I was guided for the Ray Samuels Raptor which costs $1175 plus shipping. I believe it is one of the best Tube amps out there and will sound super good with your HD 650.
Check this link.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raptor/raptor.html

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #431 of 680
Thanks Shetzu :wink:
I've got the link so I'll read it after work :wink:
You see, the trouble with me is that I've decided to upgrade my music listening quality :wink:
Usually I've played my albums with my home cinema system or simply in ear headphones connected to mobile phone?
Over year ago I were about to change it and I've bought my first Sennheiser HD598, I did love the look and I were amazed by SQ when first time I've put them on! Believe me or not, I had not idea about headphone amps at that time and what they can do :wink:
Can you believe I were amazed with the SQ even without amplifier?
I knew any way that out there are even better sounding headphones, though :wink:
I decided to sell mine after a couple of months to upgrade them for HD650.
You know what's happend? I haven't do so? I had some spendings and I were all the time short with money to get new headphones... Until now though :wink:
And now I've read some about headphones amps somewhere on my way of researching the best SQ :wink:
So I'm still learning my lessons :wink:
Discovering different amps as well.
I have to start with any amp just to HEAR THE REAL MUSIC and I wished it to be a good start :wink: I believe the Hugo is the very expensive option but the best to start with. I've tried cheaper Oppo HA-2 and I was disappointed so I learnt the lesson - the cheap isn't good for me, but I think it might be good amp too as there is many good reviews as well and this is why I tried it first... Now I'm confused/concerned if the tube amp will satisfy my listening experience even more?
The reviews actually giving me some clue that the tube amp is all over the solid state indeed... I will follow this track then to learn what is it abd if I like it, but as far as I know myself - I do like it much already :wink:
I wish I could try it first to compare to my Hugo. Without any experience it's just like blind man would search for colourful flowers, isn't it...
Thank you again for the link provided Shetzu.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #432 of 680
Thanks Shetzu
wink.gif

I've got the link so I'll read it after work
wink.gif

You see, the trouble with me is that I've decided to upgrade my music listening quality
wink.gif

Usually I've played my albums with my home cinema system or simply in ear headphones connected to mobile phone?
Over year ago I were about to change it and I've bought my first Sennheiser HD598, I did love the look and I were amazed by SQ when first time I've put them on! Believe me or not, I had not idea about headphone amps at that time and what they can do
wink.gif

Can you believe I were amazed with the SQ even without amplifier?
I knew any way that out there are even better sounding headphones, though
wink.gif

I decided to sell mine after a couple of months to upgrade them for HD650.
You know what's happend? I haven't do so? I had some spendings and I were all the time short with money to get new headphones... Until now though
wink.gif

And now I've read some about headphones amps somewhere on my way of researching the best SQ
wink.gif

So I'm still learning my lessons
wink.gif

Discovering different amps as well.
I have to start with any amp just to HEAR THE REAL MUSIC and I wished it to be a good start
wink.gif
I believe the Hugo is the very expensive option but the best to start with. I've tried cheaper Oppo HA-2 and I was disappointed so I learnt the lesson - the cheap isn't good for me, but I think it might be good amp too as there is many good reviews as well and this is why I tried it first... Now I'm confused/concerned if the tube amp will satisfy my listening experience even more?
The reviews actually giving me some clue that the tube amp is all over the solid state indeed... I will follow this track then to learn what is it abd if I like it, but as far as I know myself - I do like it much already
wink.gif

I wish I could try it first to compare to my Hugo. Without any experience it's just like blind man would search for colourful flowers, isn't it...
Thank you again for the link provided Shetzu.

Yes The Hugo is an excellent DAC/amp of Chord Electronics. I have had the pleasure of hearing it  and it is mind blowing. Chord Mojo is the little brother of Hugo and has similar dynamics. Expensive hardware comes with higher cost and that is a fact  not forgetting you get better dynamics and sound quality too. Yes the tube amp will satisfy your listening even more  and that is way I am taking the plunge myself
wink.gif

You will still get  a great sound with using the Hugo standalone with your HP. Tube amp is additional  upgrade in sound thats it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #433 of 680
Thank to your comments I'm very convinced now that the Hugo is the amp well worth my effort to buy it...
Actually it's like 5 of Oppo HA-2 so you know... I was worry if it's not going to be mistake to pay that much for such a little thing :wink:
I wish you to get your dreamed tube amp as soon as possible then! I am planning to use Hugo until I would can afford to get tube amp to make my music dream even up to higher level :wink:
I'm thinking of HP upgrade too and my target is HD800S :wink:
When I'm ready :wink:
You know ... All about the money :wink:
There is one thing that I need to dig a bit deeper into the subject, though.
The high res files...
I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit 96Hz from HD Tracks.com but as I'm not ready with my stuff yet, I don't know if I'll notice any difference regarding the CDs quality... There is a lot of rumours too if this is really something to go for it and I've read many of different points of view and I know what our ears are able of... So I'm waiting for Hugo to come to find out on myself if I can notice any difference compared to CD's quality? Have got your own experience in this matter please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back