What's the best amp for HD800
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #406 of 680
Here is another experiment , Just connected my HD 800 to a Dartzeel power amp , straight to the speaker terminals.
Audio Aero Prestige Signature is both the source and the pre.
Best I have heard the HD 800...

I am not saying go and buy a 10K + speaker amp for the HD 800 but if you have some proper speaker amplifier give it a try. I have heard probably everything mainstream there is for HD 800 ;no competition vs Dartzeel..

629b56e0edd28b32a6d0bcde1d7f936d.jpg

SM-G925F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #407 of 680
Here is another experiment , Just connected my HD 800 to a Dartzeel power amp , straight to the speaker terminals.
Audio Aero Prestige Signature is both the source and the pre.
Best I have heard the HD 800...

I am not saying go and buy a 10K + speaker amp for the HD 800 but if you have some proper speaker amplifier give it a try. I have heard probably everything mainstream there is for HD 800 ;no competition vs Dartzeel..

What does it do specifically better than the amps you heard? Just for reference what's the highest end headphone specific amplifiers you heard in comparison?

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #408 of 680
The amps I mentioned in my previous post plus Cvalli LG I tried last week.
Main improvement is the bass. Best I heard on a hp was Abyss , Dartzeel + HD800 is matching it now impact vise and much better on definition and extension. I tried signal test for low frequency , 18hz and onwards is perfectly fullfilling now. But I really cant say how much of it is coming from Dartzeel alone. Both the amp and the source is on Shunyata research cobras and source is fed by battery power , amp is straight from wall plug only Shunyata cobra cable in the middle.
Again I am not suggesting to invest heavily for speaker gear for a hp , but if you happen to have some proper amp go for it , it might seriously suprise you.
My favorite amp for HD800 was a Firstwatt before the Dartzeel.

SM-G925F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #409 of 680
Hi,

Has anybody tried Quad PA-ONE paired with HD800?

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #411 of 680
Hi guys...
I'm having troubles to find the amps you're talking about in UK...
Most of them is no on sale anywhere, all I can is to read your posts and online reviews :wink:
Is there someone of you,familiar enough with the UK availablities to point me out what I can get to be nearly as good as the mentioned over here amps please?
I can spent up to £2000 ...
At present I've got Sennheiser HD650 but I'm planning to change them for HD800, so I'm actually looking for proper amp for HD800... I'm listening music mostly on my computer so I need good amp with DAC...
Over here in UK I'm thinking of Sennheiser HDVD800 but I've heard the DAC is not too good, so some people advising to buy HDVD600 instead where is no DAC and the saved money spent on good quality DAC?
There is also the Oppo HA-1 but after reading all the reviews I'm concerned if any of them two will fullfill my craving to be able to hear the best audio quality?
Don't you mind to share with me yiur point of view what to choose please?
Thanks for any advice...

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #412 of 680
Hi guys...
I'm having troubles to find the amps you're talking about in UK...
Most of them is no on sale anywhere, all I can is to read your posts and online reviews
wink.gif

Is there someone of you,familiar enough with the UK availablities to point me out what I can get to be nearly as good as the mentioned over here amps please?
I can spent up to £2000 ...
At present I've got Sennheiser HD650 but I'm planning to change them for HD800, so I'm actually looking for proper amp for HD800... I'm listening music mostly on my computer so I need good amp with DAC...
Over here in UK I'm thinking of Sennheiser HDVD800 but I've heard the DAC is not too good, so some people advising to buy HDVD600 instead where is no DAC and the saved money spent on good quality DAC?
There is also the Oppo HA-1 but after reading all the reviews I'm concerned if any of them two will fullfill my craving to be able to hear the best audio quality?
Don't you mind to share with me yiur point of view what to choose please?
Thanks for any advice...

Headphone amps are still a bit of a niche market so it can be very hard to demo them before buying, unfortunately.
Are you set on solid state or would you be interested in tubes?

The DAC on the HDVD800 is the weak link so if you are open to getting seperates you are better off doing so. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #413 of 680
Thanks a lot for your comment...
I'm new in this audiophile world my friend that's why I know nothing and only trying to figure out what is best for me. On this forum I've read first time about tubes, I don't know the difference and I know nobody who is audiophile and who could let me try this or that before I buy. All I have it's you my friends on this forum to ask questions and listen advices...
Someone has adviced to simply buy cheaper Sennheiser HDVD600 and separately buy good quality DAC instead of spending money on HDVD800 where DAC is not so good as you know.
I like this because in UK I can get Sennheiser HDVD600 where amp is the same as in HDVD800 ,but I know nothing what DAC should I get to pair them up for my future HD800 headphones you see... As far as I know the mentioned tubes are better regarding sound quality? To be honest I wish I could buy one good piece intead of two separated... The trouble is I like your reviews regarding all those amps but every time I'm searching google there is none of them on available in UK...
So I need someone please, to advice me good quality amp + DAC that I coukd reach in UK please?
I like Sennheiser HDVD600 but could you advice me what DAC to buy (in UK) to pair it please?, or maybe any other amp+DAC that is already as a one piece and maybe better than HDVD600 amp?
So I'm not actually much bother now whether I like tubes or different equipment because I know nothing about the difference my friend...
I only wish I spent my money right to be able to hear EVERYTHING DETAILED AND RICH :wink: I need your help to let me experience what I'm missing right now... I'm plugging my Sennheiser HD650 with my PC or Android phone and sometimes to my Yamaha RX-V777 amp what I'm using for my cinema system paired with Monitor Audio Radius R90 speakers system... The cinema sysrem is downstairs so mostly I'm playing music using the mentioned speakers but headphones I'm using every time I'm upstairs working on my pencil drawings and when I go to bed... I wish to be able to enjoy my music fully while I'm upstairs rather... To me having the HD800 in futer, connected just to PC is like licking an icecream through the glass... You can see the icecream but actually you can't taste it, it is in my case, I wish I could taste the music I'm listening...Obviously all my audio is on CDs or ripped FLAC files...

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #414 of 680
I've just found Chord Hugo or Naim DAC-V1 D to A Converter, where the second one seems to be just a step behind Chord Hugo...?
What I've read It's sounds good...
I could pair it to my PC or take it downstairs to pair it even to my Yamaha RX-V777 (Naim DAC) if it helps regarding audio quality? This is my first try to find good DAC so I don't know how good it is.
The price is similar to the mentioned Sennheiser HDVD600 so I'm not so sure how good it might be compared to Sennheiser? Atually I like Chord Hugo over Naim DAC while reading reviews...
Is it ok to pair Chord to HDVD600 amp or can the Chord Hugo live alone for headphones by itself please?
I'm afraid I can't afford right now to buy both, the Chord and HDVD600 at once...

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #415 of 680
I've just found Chord Hugo or Naim DAC-V1 D to A Converter, where the second one seems to be just a step behind Chord Hugo...?
What I've read It's sounds good...
I could pair it to my PC or take it downstairs to pair it even to my Yamaha RX-V777 (Naim DAC) if it helps regarding audio quality? This is my first try to find good DAC so I don't know how good it is.
The price is similar to the mentioned Sennheiser HDVD600 so I'm not so sure how good it might be compared to Sennheiser? Atually I like Chord Hugo over Naim DAC while reading reviews...
Is it ok to pair Chord to HDVD600 amp or can the Chord Hugo live alone for headphones by itself please?
I'm afraid I can't afford right now to buy both, the Chord and HDVD600 at once...

Does Schiit ship to the U.K.?

http://schiit.com/

They have the best entry level amps & DACs as well as high end gear that matches well with the HD800.
Specifically the Valhalla 2 as a cheap OTL amp & Bifrost Multibit as a DAC.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #417 of 680
Thank you very much Thenewguy007 for giving me the link to schiit.
I've emailed them first thing this morning so hopefuly I'll get answer soon...
Bigfatpaulie I've got some practice and skills I guess :wink: with this sort of soldering as I've had practiced it from time to time and three years of school time. I bet it might be a lot cheaper :wink: Should I search for DIY amp kits then online? Thank you for letting me know :wink:

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #419 of 680
Awesome! You've got so much buying power now. The fact that you got to try a few things out at your friends place and you likes what you heard puts you in a good position.
Let me know how it goes and remember you are breaking in your DAC-AMP and HEAPHONES all at once so be patient for the breaki in period to end. Also, important to read the Burson's SL owners manual. It recommends you allow 30 minutes of warm up time before playing/running the amp. I know...strange right? Especially being a solid state and not a tube amp, but I VERY much agree with the warm up time. It makes a difference. The warmer the amp the better.
The Highs are far smoother along with the treble as well. Also note that the Burson doesn't run hot! It's very well designed and has an excellent heat sink chassis.
I assure you. With the Burson's FET transistor design and shiort circuitry pathway the amp will last ya years and years. Same with everything else. Top notch builds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey nephilim32. How have you been man. Its been a while. I have been enjoying my HD800 with Chord Mojo for the time being and have liked every moment so far. Now time has come to get a bigger amp for my HD 800. I shortlisted 3 Ray Samuels Raptor ($1200), Burson Soloist MK II ($500) & Artist Audio Heron 5 ($1000). However a friend of mine already imported the Burson directly from Australia which I intend to try shortly. If it sounds fantastic as you claimed and are the best judge I would go for it and continue to use Mojo as the Dac for a while. Perhaps later  will decide for Arcam Dac. AS my priority now is to get a good amp thatt would tame the Hd 800 and give a good musical sound by bring down its 6 khz peak to a bit of more pleasant sound. Got to keep the finances in control too. Haha
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #420 of 680
  Hey nephilim32. How have you been man. Its been a while. I have been enjoying my HD800 with Chord Mojo for the time being and have liked every moment so far. Now time has come to get a bigger amp for my HD 800. I shortlisted 3 Ray Samuels Raptor ($1200), Burson Soloist MK II ($500) & Artist Audio Heron 5 ($1000). However a friend of mine already imported the Burson directly from Australia which I intend to try shortly. If it sounds fantastic as you claimed and are the best judge I would go for it and continue to use Mojo as the Dac for a while. Perhaps later  will decide for Arcam Dac. AS my priority now is to get a good amp thatt would tame the Hd 800 and give a good musical sound by bring down its 6 khz peak to a bit of more pleasant sound. Got to keep the finances in control too. Haha
beerchug.gif

Keep in mind that an amp has a flat FR and will not filter/EQ the 6 KHz peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back