What's the best all-around amp? ~$1,000
Jul 4, 2008 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Maybe the thread title isn't exactly what I'm trying to say...I want an amp that will drive any of the higher end phones without any problem. I'm totally clueless as to what I want my headphone setup to be, but I've come to the conclusion that I would like an amp first and then decide on headphones. (whether that's the right thing to do or not, I don't know).

I need an amp that won't have any trouble with low impedance phones (D5000, W5000, RS-1, K701, etc.) or with high impedance phones (HD650, HD600, DT880, etc.) See, I told you I don't know what I want yet...
redface.gif

The two I had come up with are Headamp GS-1 or Headroom's Desktop Amp (maybe balanced Desktop???).

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or anything else is welcome.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Train your eye on the For Sale Forum. Your dollar goes a lot further. Just took a look, and there's a toaster-style Singlepower Extreme going for $1,200.

I don't think you could do any better than that in your price range. One of those will drive about anything and will move you into the top tier of performance.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Train your eye on the For Sale Forum. Your dollar goes a lot further. Just took a look, and there's a toaster-style Singlepower Extreme going for $1,200.

I don't think you could do any better than that in your price range. One of those will drive about anything and will move you into the top tier of performance.

Seems to confirm the stuff I've read. I would buy one from Mikhail if it weren't for the "extended wait" :\

To TC, I'm also in this same market ATM. Unfortunately I need to play the waiting game for a slight while because of a certain item I just bought days ago. My $0.02 for you: I've been considering the Corda Opera. I read great things about this piece of equipment.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 12
I wholeheartedly agree with the GS-1. It is one of the most neutral amps, thus being quite compatible with both cooler sounding cans, as well as those with warmer / more euphonic sonic signatures.

It easily drove whatever I threw at it (perhaps it'll choke with a K1000
biggrin.gif
), and very importantly it remained true to the music (source) without being boring...I say that, because I have used other very neutral amps which have, at the same time, seemed to numb down the excitement levels....I think sterile is the right word. The GS-1 was both neutral and exciting where required.

It is also excellent as an all-round amp in terms of flexibility - the multiple inputs, gain settings, and pre-amp out came in very handy.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the replies everyone! I totally forgot about the Stello, I saw it when it first came out and loved the way it looked. On the other hand, the one time I was able to see and hear Ray's amps, I've always wanted one. Although, the same can be said about the GS-1.
tongue.gif

I'm torn on the tube/SS war right now. I've only heard tubes once and it was in a speaker system, but I absolutely fell in love with what I heard. But I don't know if I'm patient/responsible enough to own them. If I did, the Woo Audio stuff is on the top of my list.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 12
There a number of solid state amps that have the sonic traits of tubes (ie. warmth, liquidity, bloom) I'm thinking of the fine products by Rudistor, Ray Samuels HR-2, Perrreaux SXH and perhaps the PS Audio GCHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back