Whats that D1 and POT in CMOY ?
Dec 21, 2005 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
Have a look at the cmoy tangent schematic pdf .
1)tell me whats that D1 in the power section .
2)Again in the power section,at the end,there a wire connected first between the two resistors and next between the two caps,and then connected to ground.

WHAT ground ?

3)In the amp section,whats that POT ? Potentiometer ? why pot the input ? Cant i just control the volume of the source ?

4)what ground in the amplifier section ?

5)Do i have to make one set of power and amp section for each channel ?

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 8
1. D1 is a LED.
2. This design uses a virtual ground. I suggest you read more of the articles on Tangent's website about virtual grounds. Very informative.
3. The POT is a potentiometer. Those of us who use a line-out on our source need the volume control.
4. See answer #2.
5. Tangent's design uses a dual opamp, instead of the single that was in Chu's original design. Look at his "tight layout" diagram again. What you see is all you need.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

there a wire connected first between the two resistors and next between the two caps,and then connected to ground.

WHAT ground ?

As the others have said, it's a virtual ground, created by those resistors. Basically, everything marked ground in that schematic simply gets connected together. There's nothing more to it.

If you want to understand why this works -- and how you can improve on it -- read my virtual ground article.

Quote:

Cant i just control the volume of the source ?

If your source has volume control, then you simply connect the input jack to C1, and leave the pot out.

Quote:

Do i have to make one set of power and amp section for each channel ?

No.

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Very sorry for this thread wasting all your time.I should have read the entire tangent article.I see that tangent explains everything in its own section.My mind raised a 100 questions before i even started reading much of it.

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Very sorry for this thread wasting all your time.I should have read the entire tangent article.I see that tangent explains everything in its own section.My mind raised a 100 questions before i even started reading much of it.

You're not wasting my time. I had a 100 similar questions when I did my first CMOY, too (heck, I still have a bunch about virtual grounds). Most folks here are more than willing to answer any questions or point you in the right direction to find the answers yourself. Good Luck on your build!

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 8
So if i dont want to use the pot,i connect the source directly to C2 but what about R2(which according to tangent is 10X that of the pot) ?
Do i keep r2 or remove it ?

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Do i keep r2 or remove it ?

You keep it. We didn't say otherwise, did we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back