whats so good about beats headphones?
Jul 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

myemaildw

Headphoneus Supremus
whats so good about beats headphones? when you go to apple store or official apple retailer store they have headphones by beats, and they have fancy desks on them. at least where i live they do. and by sound they sound no different to apple earbuds to me. and with apple buying beats and everything i am wondering what are they talking about. and jimmy iovine saying something about how apple makes their earphones just to see if the device works. but beats headphones do not sound any different to apple earbuds.
obviously there is a lot of marketing, celebrity have their name on them and now they are three times more expensive. that would probably explain it. i doubt that apple is after headphones. apple is not as stupid as that. if they introduce something it has real value. having beats speakers on iphone is not going to impress anyone i don’t think. i do not think i would notice any difference. if apple make something they make sure it makes real difference.

i can’t find good headphones, they all sound the same to me. having said that i know what sounds good when i hear it. i have not listened to audiotechnica m50, or seinheiser 25 that dj s use. when i see where i can try them i will. just to do not want to buy something without trying them. there is a lot of hype about any headphones, so i need to try them myself.

I find that each headphones, earphones, in ear earphones are good at one thing but not good overall. some are good at small sounds, some are not good at base, some are not good at isolating, some are muffled, some come out of ears when using, etc.
i hope that makes sense

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 106
Well the reason Apple has beats in all their stores is because Apple owns Beats. Secondly, yes they're over advertised and really don't come anywhere near reasonable in the price/sound quality ratio, but overtime they've become a brand icon. You tell someone you got a new pair of headphones, they ask "is it beats?" Because the regular consumer has already been lead to believe they're the best headphones money can buy.

Saying you can't hear the difference? What difference are we talking about? The two headphones are massively different (apple earbuds, beats over ear) and there are many differences, probably far more than similarities.

With finding good headphones, you simply have to do research and you have to be willing to pay. Ath-m50s are on a different level than beats, albeit the sound signature is as well. That's all there is to it. This is an odd post, but essentially it's one large rant about beats & headphones in general. I don't believe people hear differently, but I do believe that if you've been buying $9.99 headphones with cutesy brand names at your local walmart, I'm willing to believe you legitimately haven't been able to hear differences or anything good between headphones.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 106

i can’t find good headphones, they all sound the same to me.

I find that each headphones, earphones, in ear earphones are good at one thing but not good overall. some are good at small sounds, some are not good at base, some are not good at isolating, some are muffled, some come out of ears when using, etc.
i hope that makes sense

It makes sense to me, you simply contradict yourself.

They either all sound the same, OR some are good at some aspects and not other aspects.  Which is it to you?

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 106
Money. Status. Keeping up with the Jonses down the street. Celebrity endorsements. Fashion statements. Different people will have different reasons as to why they'd spend $300 on a pair of Beats. Just saying.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 106
I would go beyond saying they are unreasonable for the price/sound quality ratio.  I would say they are garbage at any price.  

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 106
Saying you can't hear the difference? What difference are we talking about? The two headphones are massively different (apple earbuds, beats over ear) and there are many differences, probably far more than similarities.

ye i am not sure, i thought if i get headphones that people say have good sound i would hear good sound. but overall all headphones make good sound. today it is probably hard to find bad earphones since it is not that hard to make even your own speaker from simple things like copper wire, card board, magnet and a headphone jack and it will still sound nice.
anyway
  It makes sense to me, you simply contradict yourself.

They either all sound the same, OR some are good at some aspects and not other aspects.  Which is it to you?

i don’t know. i tried a lot of headphones. overall the same thing. even if i get a magnet and spin a copper wire over it with card board attached to it i will get a good sound. it is hard for me to tell which headphones are good. i can tell that some earbuds lack on highs or on something, but it might not be a deciding factor if i would like sound overall. and yes some headphones have very good details, like when door closes it makes good plop sound, if that is even a word. and by headphones i mean all sort of devices like earhones, in ear earphones and headphones. just do not want to write every time.

i got beats pro. for me they have good base, not great. could be better. but i tried other headphones, base was worse.
i let my relatives try the headphones and let me tell you before that my parents do not know anything about beats, they do not even care about brands. and they do not know what brands are good on headphones. i gave beats pro to my parents to listen to ask if they are good. and they said very good sound. better than their headphones. the sound they said is almost as good as real sound but not quite, but close to it. i do not know, may be i am not good at recognising sound.
i will just say that i need a bit of time with these headphones to see and to notice any difference. right now i can only tell that base without using equlizer is better than on any headphones i had before without modification. and it has good sound across the board, base is there, and base does not muffle the higher pitched notes.
i can’t really say anything more about them at the moment, i only had them for two days. may be in a week or two i would be able to say more about them.
and i would like to try other headphones like seinheiser hd25 and audiotechnica m50 since everyone is saying they are the best out there or something.
may be i am not as good at recognising audio or something like that.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 106
I don' think anybody has ever said, or would ever say that the ATH M50 or the HD25 are the best sounding headphones. The M50 is certainly a decent sounding headphone for a reasonable price, I haven't heard the HD25 so I have no idea, but I doubt it is the category leader. I have not heard newer Beats, but despite all of the negative stances taken against them, I have read that newer Beats such as the Studio are much better sounding and a better cost/performance proposition than the first generation Beats when they were affiliated with Dr. Dre. I would welcome the chance to hear a newer Beat myself. A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open and as such I think the new Beats get a fresh slate.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 106
@ OP, It's bass not base.

@sonic Defender, the newer beats are better for the most part. The old ones were roughly worth 10% of their value for the sound. The new ones are slightly cheaper and sound decent enough to be around 25% of their price. In all honesty, they're still nothing to get excited about.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 106
Thanks Hapster, I take it you had the chance to hear one of the new line, was it the studio as that is supposed to be the best sounding of the beats. This is what MacedonianHero had to say in his review of portable headphones he was evaluating (as you likely know MacedonianHero is a very experienced member here who seems to own all the gear out there ... which makes me hate him of course)

"The new Beats Studios 2013 editions keep up with many of the headphones here. I bought a pair to add to this review from the Apple Store with the intention of returning them after 1 week. As luck would have it my 5 year old kinda used the box for his superhero action figures...so they're now mine. Luckily I don't mind. If you're into how headphones look, these (along with the Momentums are the best IMO). They isolate pretty darn good and are pretty darn portable. They sound quite good. They're closer voiced to the warmer/bassier Momentums (though not as tactile), but that said, I'm quite happy to see Beats talking good sound seriously. They image very well are light and comfortable too. Who'd a thunk it?"

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 106
i think beats is a way to popularise quality headphones. but are they really good i don’t think so, there are better out there. having said that i did not try some of the headphones people say are good because they do not put those on display, probably do not want people to buy those because people will not buy the other headphones. marketing to prevent people from having variety so that people buy mediocer overpriced stuff that isn’t that good.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 106

Money. Status. Keeping up with the Jonses down the street. Celebrity endorsements. Fashion statements. Different people will have different reasons as to why they'd spend $300 on a pair of Beats. Just saying.

Some celebrity endorsements are better than others though eh!...Q

i think beats is a way to popularise quality headphones. but are they really good i don’t think so, there are better out there. having said that i did not try some of the headphones people say are good because they do not put those on display, probably do not want people to buy those because people will not buy the other headphones. marketing to prevent people from having variety so that people buy mediocer overpriced stuff that isn’t that good.

Yep that's marketing for you. Production and hype of rubbish because that's easier than selling quality experience - wait quality experience is what apple started doing though eh...

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 106
I wrote a withering review of a friend's pair.

What they do right:
Haptics and engineering and design are excellent and unique. They have a 3-D articulated armature that clamps those big cups directly on to YOUR head at optimum angle. This adjusts a custom fit to each listener. Nice. They are hefty, not a piece of plastic junk, and hold up with usage.

What they do wrong:
Sound. They have a gargantuan lower mid upper bass hump and that's it.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 106
I wrote a withering review of a friend's pair.

What they do right:
Haptics and engineering and design are excellent and unique. They have a 3-D articulated armature that clamps those big cups directly on to YOUR head at optimum angle. This adjusts a custom fit to each listener. Nice. They are hefty, not a piece of plastic junk, and hold up with usage.

What they do wrong:
Sound. They have a gargantuan lower mid upper bass hump and that's it.

What model are you reviewing? Is it the newer studio or an older version? It is important to disclose that information as there seems to be plenty of evidence that the newer models sound better. I will say that I think many people bash Beats simply because that has been the thing to do in the past (deservedly so due to poor price/performance ratios), and I am willing to bet that few of us here in the forums have actually spent any serious, quality listening time with the newer Beats. I am not a Beats fanboy, don't own any, no plans to purchase any; however, I think people are now grossly prejudicial around here and refuse to even consider that perhaps since Apple took over positive change has been made. Most around the forums here would accept that Mac products and iPods in general have quite good sound for mass market products so I fail to understand why the bashing continues. I have read very few if any objective posts about newer Beats. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 106
whats so good about beats headphones? when you go to apple store or official apple retailer store they have headphones by beats, and they have fancy desks on them. at least where i live they do. and by sound they sound no different to apple earbuds to me. and with apple buying beats and everything i am wondering what are they talking about. and jimmy iovine saying something about how apple makes their earphones just to see if the device works. but beats headphones do not sound any different to apple earbuds.
obviously there is a lot of marketing, celebrity have their name on them and now they are three times more expensive. that would probably explain it. i doubt that apple is after headphones. apple is not as stupid as that. if they introduce something it has real value. having beats speakers on iphone is not going to impress anyone i don’t think. i do not think i would notice any difference. if apple make something they make sure it makes real difference.

i can’t find good headphones, they all sound the same to me. having said that i know what sounds good when i hear it. i have not listened to audiotechnica m50, or seinheiser 25 that dj s use. when i see where i can try them i will. just to do not want to buy something without trying them. there is a lot of hype about any headphones, so i need to try them myself.

i hope that makes sense

Hey junior, this will be my one and only post to this thread, so watch and learn :wink:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/FMcyEz13t1Q[/VIDEO]​

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 106
now i understand what’s so good about beats. yesterday i met a guy who has beats tour, and he let me listen to them. since they do not let you try in ear earphones in shop. and the bass that came out of them straight from my iphone is great, and sound quality is great. may be better than on my beats pro.
what earphones are better sounding than beats tour if anyone tried?
i think i will buy those to listen to music when i am outside since i do not want to bring beats pro outside, they are too big to bring outside with me. and i do not want to bother with apple earbuds, they have zero quality base. even though i did modify them.
what goes to beats headphones, those are pointless, except may be for beats pro, those are better than any other beats headphones, or any headphones i tried at the shop.
i don’t like sound in solo or studio, those do not sound good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back