What's so bad about Bose?
Jan 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #151 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find many threads on this here.

But I'll take another whack. Primarily, Bose gear performs badly. I've been a musician over 25 years and Bose gear simply does not sound like the real thing. Measurements and a lot of others tend to agree.

Second, Bose uses cheap parts and materials. That radio might have $15-$20 of parts inside. Maybe another $20 for assembly and the box. The rest is all profit.

Third, Bose heavily markets itself as the best. Clearly, it is not. You can buy natural-sounding equipment made with better materials for less money.

Fourth, Bose has the ability to make quality products and chooses not to. Bose has plenty of capital, engineers, test facilities, manufacturing, everything. If management wanted, Bose could make excellent, high-quality gear. Instead, they make garbage and sell it at the highest possible margin.

Interesting comments. I was wondering about this also but you pretty much cleared that up.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #152 of 194
I like to view Bose as the Sam Adams of audio, and vice versa. Sure, it's very popular but you can find much better stuff for the money. All of that added flavor kind of takes away from what you're supposed to be sensing.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #153 of 194
I think old people like Bose so much because it performs better at low volumes. Piercing highs and a ton of midbass in my friend's QC2. I used to like the Bose sound, until I started listening to some flat sounding 'phones. Now, the Bose sounds kinda unnatural.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #154 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My father liked Bose products. He had Acoustimass speakers from the 80s (correct me if I'm wrong), and gradually bought a Wave and Acoustic Wave system. I think he even bought Bose headphones, not the QuietComfort ones. I think the sound is decent, though I've heard better systems that cost less. I think what sold my dad was the form factor. It didn't take up much room, especially incomparison to his old Marantz cassette deck, amp and turntable.

My father also liked bose!!! Infact, he liked it so much he bought the 901 direct/reflecting speakers for more than 2000 when he could buy the HD800 with a very good amplifier.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #155 of 194
I dont think that bose is a bad company but I do agree thats its overpriced and sounds unnatural. But if you like bose's sound signature and is happy with it then just ignore other peoples opinion and just enjoy with what you like.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #156 of 194
Bose products are way overpriced, made with cheap parts, and to me, sound like crap. Whats there to like?

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #157 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose products are way overpriced, made with cheap parts, and to me, sound like crap. Whats there to like?

Bose headphones are tweaked for mainstream. Simply put the bloated bass and highs make for a perfect match with poorly mastered and recorded music as well as most pop songs. Simply put, Bose seems like an EQed version of all songs, to what most people would equalize their songs to (smiley face graph). Bose's tactics make them deplorable (particularly because the can do better, but choose not to),but I do think there is a good use for bose.... get people comfortable enough to buy expensive gear. Lets face it, trying to convince the average joe to buy a pair of akgs, sennheisers, and god forbid grados at the $200 price range is like pulling teeth. Bringing up a pair of bose, makes them go... HMMM you know.. I've heard some good things about.....

Then just show up with your own gear and show them what they're missing.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #158 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think that bose is a bad company but I do agree thats its overpriced and sounds unnatural. But if you like bose's sound signature and is happy with it then just ignore other peoples opinion and just enjoy with what you like.

I think they're a bad company because they're marketing is totally deceiving and because
their stuff is so ridiculously overpriced.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #159 of 194
I too was once a noob and thought bose would be good. I decided to research them and I ended up here on Head-Fi. I think that if other companies could just get sold at store like best buy , Walmart we would be in a different situation. In all the stores by me, you walk in and in the headphone aisle there is a assortment of cheap headphones and Bose. Now if companies like Senniheiser,Audio Technica,Shure,Dennon,Grado,Ultrasone and any other HI-Fi audio brand were sold there. Bose prolly wouldn't even exist. What makes bose so popular is not really the advertising, but the fact that all the big box stores refuse to carry any real hi-fi brands.

Just my $.02

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #161 of 194
I'm personally amused by the many members here who are so very proud of not liking Bose products, but if your read about what they're looking for when wanting something else, or just the sound signature they say they like best, they're describing bose products, and would probably be happiest with them.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #162 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm personally amused by the many members here who are so very proud of not liking Bose products, but if your read about what they're looking for when wanting something else, or just the sound signature they say they like best, they're describing bose products, and would probably be happiest with them.

Some people prefer colored sounding equipment. But there are plenty of companies that pull off "colored" better than Bose (and for cheaper.)

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #163 of 194
It also depends on the Bose product, too. Some Bose products are pretty good (I've heard the CineMate II speakers connected from a TV through the digital SPDIF connection and if you place the satellite speakers almost right next to the TV, and sound is quite good).

I do agree that the Bose IEM is not that great--too much bass and sound isolation is not that good with the Bose-supplied ear tips.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #164 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also depends on the Bose product, too. Some Bose products are pretty good (I've heard the CineMate II speakers connected from a TV through the digital SPDIF connection and if you place the satellite speakers almost right next to the TV, and sound is quite good).

I can vouch for the Cinemate. Damn good 2.1 simulated surround out of the TV. I remember those older bookshelf speakers had their place and time as well. Their Headphones? They cancel sound better than they reproduce it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #165 of 194
I just popped by into an apple store today and auditioned a pair of Bose Around-Ears(AE). And i'm surprised to say, i was impressed! Too bad it was hooked up to an in-house docking supply and i have no way of bringing my iPod into the store for further auditioning!

Looking at the amount of flake that Bose products are gathering in these forums, i was prepared for trash but these phones were pretty decent and they were so so comfy compared to the SRH840s that i have!

I might just have to take a closer/2nd listen before i decide whether to do the unthinkable and snag myself a pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back