What's on your bookshelf?
Jun 17, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #61 of 65
Dear Mr. Bonto,
I recommend a book called "The Complete Prose Tales of Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin". It will keep you busy, and it is a cheap and well-translated collection of all his prose. Reading his poetry in translation is not really worth it, so stick to this. If you are going to read any poetry, try and get it in Russian and read it along with the translation (Mr. Bonto speaks Russian folks...).
As for Evgeniy Onegin, Nabokov's translation is the most correct, but it is also almost unreadable. Check out Falen's translation for something more readable.
Stu

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #63 of 65
Reading the brief description at Amazon, I could see how Closing Time could work. I'm vaguely interested, but I have too many books, no enough time!

Nevermind, just read the reviews, I thin k I may steer clear of this one....

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #64 of 65
hmm, any recommendations for authors like clancy?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

if you like clancy you will probably love steven coonts and/or clive cussler.

i read almost all of the clancy books first, then i read coonts.

coonts imho is a WAY better writer.

i am currently about 2/3 of the way through reading all of the cussler books.

matthew

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #65 of 65
I just read The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand reads great next to Steinbeck -- I think I'll reread The Grapes of Wrath now, haha. Seriously, though, I thought it was a bad novel but a good book. I suppose I'll have to read Atlas Shrugged eventually. Anyone here a Rand fan?

-----------------------------------------------------------

fountainhead is one of my favorites.

i just wish i had read the book before i saw the movie...

there is a movie about the life of ayn rand that starred eric stoltz that was wonderful!

matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back