What's on your bookshelf?
Jun 14, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 65
I actually preferred the Dragonriders of Pern series to the LOTR trilogy.

Hey, Moo, if you liked James and the Giant Peach, you should check out an author by the name of Graeme Base. I loved James and the Giant Peach.

I've read some Ayn Rand, used to be really into her. Then I tried to pick up Atlas Shrugged and got a hernia. Never forgave her for that...

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I actually preferred the Dragonriders of Pern series to the LOTR trilogy.

I can see that. I personally thought the Pern series got a bit repeditive, but that's just me.

I actually just added two books to my collection: Watership Down by Richard Adams and Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

A list of the favorite books on my bookshelf:

LOTR trilogy (single volume edition, I want the illistrated hardcover)
Dune
Catch 22
The Illiad
Jurrasic Park
The Lost World
The Hugo Winners
The Sentinel
Redwall
Clear and Present Danger
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
The Making of The Atomic Bomb
The Mote in God's Eye
Ringworld
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Kerelybonto, I have read The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and really didn't enjoy it. Rushdie seemed to be on a quest to show how much he knows about rock and roll and photography and it gets in the way of the story IMO. But I am not really into that type of book anyway, I just saw it on sale $7 for the hardcover and I decided I'd try it.

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 65
Orson Scott Card First Edition hardcovers
Most of Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers
Amber Chronicles
Lots of fantasy
Lots of classic literature
Comics

Favorite Authors include Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, Henry James, Oscar Wilde, and Orson Scott Card

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #35 of 65
Douglas Adams!!! (the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide and the Salmon of Doubt)

LOTS of Terry Pratchett!

About two years' worth of Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine

Issac Asimov (including but not limited to Asimov Laugs Again)

Ender's Game (of course...)

A bunch of tech books

About four inches worth of 2600 issues

User Friendly: The Comic Strip and Evil Geniuses in a Nutshell by J.D. "Illiad" Fraser

About six inches worth of Nuts & Volts issues

Lots of Dilbert and Calvin & Hobbes, not to mention Simpsons

A 7-volume hardback set of LOtR (http://www.thinkgeek.com)

My stereo system

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by finleyville
If any of you like Tolkien stuff (or a COMPLETE Tolkien nerd like myself...yes, I even play the first LOTR card game) then I have two words for you...

ROBERT JORDAN!!!!!

His writing easily surpasses many, many others. He only has one series, but that includes 9 titles (I think). Several approach the 1000 page mark and none are boring. His vision, scope and attention to detail defintely encompass the word epic. I cannot recommend his works highly enough.

SECONDED to no end. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is absolutely phenomenal. I actually like it much, much more than the LOTR series. All 9 books adorn my bookshelf.
cool.gif

Along that line is also:

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series (4 books)
Terry Goodkind: The Sword of Truth series (4 books)
Melanie Rawn: The Dragon Prince series, and the Dragon Star series (6 books)

All of these books are over 700 pages. I believe in getting my money's worth in pages.
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

SECONDED to no end. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is absolutely phenomenal. I actually like it much, much more than the LOTR series. All 9 books adorn my bookshelf.
cool.gif

Along that line is also:

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorry, and Thorn series (4 books)
Terry Goodkind: The Sword of Truth series (4 books)
Melanie Rawn: The Dragon Prince series, and the Dragon Star series (6 books)

All of these books are over 700 pages. I believe in getting my money's worth in pages.
wink.gif

hmmm, this I might have to check out.

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #40 of 65
andrzejpw

From one Pittsburgher to another, definitely check out Jordan. Unfortunatly, finding used hardbacks is dificult. On Ebay it's just a little easier. Pick up a PB first then you will never go back.

Also, if you like British humor, starting reading Terry Pratchet! It is along the fantacy line, but he doesn't take himself so seriously. I actually laugh out loud reading him (which looks very strange on an airplane
biggrin.gif
)

See you soon on the world tour...

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
such as:
One Hundred Years of Solitude

YES!!! I am reading this book right now and it is unbelievable. It isn't like what I expected at all, it's very cool.

Oh yeah, I read "Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan and loved it, and I kept reading the series but it just dragged. The characters grow boring, they have about one dimension to them if that, and Jordan is really slow about letting things happen. Then I found a new fantasy epic to read:

Pick up "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin if you like fantasy -- the series begun by this book surpasses Robert Jordan in several ways. That's just my opinion, but read some reviews -- it's shared by many others (I read an Amazon review of the book that was entitled "Robert who?"). The characters are (relatively) complex, the plot is VERY complex, and it's dark enough to be entertaining. Just a caution: some of the good guys die. Sometimes bad guys help people. There's bad language (ie no "blood and bloody ashes" in this series) and people have sex (really?). Don't read it if you're stuck on the "our hero wins again in the end" flavor of fantasy.

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by hongda
Chuck Poliniuk: Fight Club
Survivor
Choke
Invisible Monsters

wooo! finally! another chuck fan!

oh and his name is spelt: chuck palahniuk
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

...Unfortunatly, finding used hardbacks is dificult. On Ebay it's just a little easier....

eBay is a book-hound's paradise at times. I found a VERY hard to find Agatha Christy on eBay for my mom last year and gave it to her for Christmas. When I told my dad, he said he couldn't believe it until he saw it because he had been to bookstores all over the US and a few in England trying to find it for her.

I've scored several hard cover Louis L'Amours and nicer volumes of some of the classics for cheap (less than $10ea including shipping.)

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

andrzejpw

From one Pittsburgher to another, definitely check out Jordan. Unfortunatly, finding used hardbacks is dificult. On Ebay it's just a little easier. Pick up a PB first then you will never go back.

Also, if you like British humor, starting reading Terry Pratchet! It is along the fantacy line, but he doesn't take himself so seriously. I actually laugh out loud reading him (which looks very strange on an airplane
biggrin.gif
)

See you soon on the world tour...

hmmm, I'll definitely check ebay out. Yahoo! Another one to Pittsburgh!

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero

Pick up "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin if you like fantasy -- the series begun by this book surpasses Robert Jordan in several ways. That's just my opinion, but read some reviews -- it's shared by many others (I read an Amazon review of the book that was entitled "Robert who?"). The characters are (relatively) complex, the plot is VERY complex, and it's dark enough to be entertaining. Just a caution: some of the good guys die. Sometimes bad guys help people. There's bad language (ie no "blood and bloody ashes" in this series) and people have sex (really?). Don't read it if you're stuck on the "our hero wins again in the end" flavor of fantasy.

Right--an interesting change from the standard fantasy fare. It also helps that Martin spins an excellent narrative. Some of the characters are a bit shallow, but on the whole this series (including "A Storm of Swords" and "A Clash of Kings") is memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back