What's more picky & fussy to get right?
Jan 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 5
A full range speakers, how big the room is, how big the speakers, how many drivers, amp to power them, speaker wires, bi-amp, tri-amp, bi-wire, tri-wire, replace the posts with better ones, you can re-wire the wires inside, you can tweak the crossovers with better resistors and capacitors.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Honestly I don't think finding a great rig for headphones is all that hard. With speakers it involves much more than the components involved. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Speakers. Not only do you need room treatment, but you need to find the right place to position the speakers relative to your sitting position, and you have to stay there. Headphones can change with placement on the head, but not nearly as much. Plus speaker amps need a lot more power, so I'd expect it's easier to find ones that distort too much. Not hard at all to find a headphone amp that's neutral.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 5
I've gone toward headphones precisely because speakers require too much effort to get just right...especially the room. And when the room in question is chock-full of computer desks along different sides, it's just not practical.

But with headphones, I just put them on my head and can easily tell exactly where sounds are coming from without much fuss, no need to worry about room dimensions or treatment or speaker placement so that each speaker comes from the exact direction a movie or game intended or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back