What's missing or upgradeable?
Oct 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OneSec

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I am using my home and office computer for source of listening.

Currently my home setups are as follow
Source file: MP3 (320kbs) / Lossless WMA / FLAC (soon)
Apps: WMP / ITunes (just for my IPod)
Motherboard: ga-ep45-ds4
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC889A codec supports S/PDIF In/Out
Speaker: Antec MX-5021

I must say I'm not truly satisfied with my home systems. Sounds good on pop music, but falls short on classical music with orchestras. Percussion is blurry and highs are somewhat weird - can’t describe it.

I'm most likely getting HD238 soon to be using on the both systems and hope to get those bass and highs sorted. My questions:
  • How can I totally eliminate the static noise? On my current 10 dollar headphone, I can hear static noise in office system, but none so far on my home system. If there is a portable solution I can use in office and @ home would be great – but home system will be my utter most concern.
  • Any weak link you see in my home system, considering HD 238 as my final setup? Any recommendations would be great, hopefully not too costly.
  • I'm thinking of having a Sansa clip + HD 238 and forget about that sorry office system. Any suggestions?

Since I’m already spending on my HD238, I may have issue requesting for budget (lol) so a 100 dollar is probably my sky to solve these issues (I got the budget for Sansa already so it’s not inclusive).

I apologize for a long post, and most solution may have been available in this forum, but I’m new and having issues understanding all the terms and recommendations, appreciate if you could advise me with simple English.

P.S.: My office uses a sorry system so doesn't matter much. I borrowed my friend's Weststone IEM, used it on the office system and it’s a total failure - the statics noise is just too overwhelmed. I'm keen to try that out in my home system, and will let you know soon on the result.

P.S2: This is my second post. I have gone through some time asking for recommendations headphone, and if you have better suggestion on my headphone please post it here
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ste...dphone-449364/

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 10
the more resolving your headphones, the more you will hear deficiencies further down the line. the first thing youre going to want to do, is quit using the motherboard's onboard audio. a soundcard or external DAC/amp are on the horizon for you
smily_headphones1.gif

or, you could just run while you still have a bank account to speak of!

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 10
LOL running is not an option!! I have tons of classical music CDs I want to reproduce them the same way in my hi-fi room, if not better!!

Well... over 100 dollar that is.

I understand a dedicated sound card. I think I understand AMP... I'm rather unclear on DAC though. Totally lost.

DAC uses S/PDIF interface right?

My onboard supports optical and coaxial S/PDIF, as well as normal jack.

So I read it as:
1. Onboard sound card --SPDIF-->DAC+AMP--normal jack-->HD 238 / MS5021
or
2 Dedicated sound card --SPDIF-->DAC+AMP--normal jack-->HD 238 / MS5021

In that case I'll have to configure digital output as my default sound output correct?

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Went on some audio shop and asked some questions and they recommend me
1. Cambridge Audio DAC, and its the only model in Malaysia that supports USB as well as S/PDIF. Around 450.
2. Headbox Headphone AMP, about 200 dollars

WOW! You guys have any other cheaper solution lol.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 10
After getting advice from adrift in http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...72/index3.html. (Thanks Adrift~!) I did some further checks on iBasso D10. Looks exactly like what I wanted!! Solves my home and office issues, and even for my portable!!

I'm looking @ using optical / coaxial connection @ home, and USB connection in office.

Price is however still a huge factor. As such advice on cheaper alternatives will be most welcomed. I will raise my bar to 200 haha.

But D10 is indeed the model for long run then I will have to start saving money and wash dishes @ night.

Another question: The D10, or even Cambridge Audio magicdac is more like for headphones or with another amp for speakers, I'm not sure if its applicable to jack my MX5021 speakers to their line-out / headphone jack.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Yup I checked the web site (cant find English on their site though) and got couple highly praised thread in head-fi as well.

Definitely one of my consideration. Looks very portable as well, just for 1/2 the price of D10
biggrin.gif

Not sure about SQ, but upon direct feature comparison
1. is this baby needs direct power oppose to D10 which provide 24 hour portability @ double price.
2. No volume control - Not sure if this is really important.
3. Here comes the questions that puzzles me - Is amp included?

If you can read Chinese... Good luck!
±±¾©ÀÖÖ®°îµç×ӿƼ¼ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾

Thanks EphemeralHope!

I don't see any site selling iBasso D10 on internet except e-bay and their own site, I guess buying direct from their website would be the better option, with no discount. Worst case I'll look them up in Hong Kong or Singapore for a bargain.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Still scratching my head on DAC/AMP:
1. Zero (China brand and people say they are really bang for buck, even without modifying them) Cheapest, and I assume best SQ since we have audiophile fans who owned 10X price amp are using it now. Can only use @ home. No usb.
2. Musiland Monitor 02 US - somewhat can move around between office and home but not really portable.
3. IBasso D10 - max portability but most expensive. Surprisingly it has the most feature as well.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Zero is out. Just found terrifying posts about sudden deaths and fax 267s and such on the 09' version.

Plus I cant solder things to fix them.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 10
My wallet tells me to go for Musiland Monitor 02 US, but my heart tells me I wont regret with Ibasso D10 for long run. I cant find any comparison so far since one is portable while the other is not.

Help me decide!! Btw I'll be using HD238 for the moment, and I intend to do no mod on those dac/amps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back