What's involved cost-wise in selling goods and shipping to Canada?
Mar 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vaper

100+ Head-Fier
I've currently got some HPs listed in the FS forum and I was curious, just what additional expenses are involved if I sell to a buyer in Canada? Are there addition shipping expenses, documentation, etc. Does Paypal charge more? What else do I need to be aware of?

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 9
basically nothing. if you use usps global priority the price is almost identical to conus shipping, so my fs always include conus and canada shipping, with all other countries extra..

oh yea and for customs just like 49.99 for headphones and like 29.9 for amps so customs won't decide to get smart.. and the like one dollar insurance thing is pretty useful in canse your package decides to go awol.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Yep, Canada Post and USPS are pretty good to one another. You avoid brokerage fees and from a cost perspective, sending across the border is painless and generally about the same price.

The main difference is in the delivery timeframes. 2-3 days domestic vs. 7-10 to Canada from US, as an example.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just DO NOT use UPS ground to Canada to ship anything higher than $20 if you don't want to have a really piss off when he receive the package and has been ask to paid the the high brokerage fee.

USPS is usually the way to go.

X1000000000

Bought a DVD online, shipped UPS ground. $23 DVD, $7 taxes and duty... $47 brokerage. Unbelievable.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 9
is it true but the usps says that all packages to canada have to have everything spelled out in CAPITAL letters. what a hassle....

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've currently got some HPs listed in the FS forum and I was curious, just what additional expenses are involved if I sell to a buyer in Canada? Are there addition shipping expenses, documentation, etc. Does Paypal charge more? What else do I need to be aware of?

Nothing, just ship USPS, and it will be the same as shipping in the states.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing, just ship USPS, and it will be the same as shipping in the states.

Indeed, USPS Airmail is very reasonable and doesn't take too long to reach it's destination. Global Priority is a bit faster and can be insured, however it's notably more expensive than standard Priority with insurance.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it true but the usps says that all packages to canada have to have everything spelled out in CAPITAL letters. what a hassle....

Nope they only suggest you to write everything in upper case. Is in their guideline and imply that it's easier to read and will prevent delay of the type of "What is written here? I can't read his handwrithing."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Canada post will accept anything as long as they can make sense of it and don't have to scratch their head to find the shipping address. Usually mean full shipping address written in the middle of the pack large enough to be easily read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back