Whats good for LOUD surroundings?
May 31, 2002 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

BBalls

New Head-Fier
Ok guys this is it...... I need a set of good headphones, no more than about $200 (I may make an exception if they are THAT good) with a few conditions in mind....... First off I will be listening on a very LOUD lawn mower and various other pieces of equipmet that never seems to work anyway
errrr.gif
errrr.gif
........ to the point........ I dont want little things that stick in my ears, I dont care how comfortable they are, I hate wearing ear buds, thats all I do all day long, my ears hurt from the all foam noise reducing buds, and music doesnt even come through those damn pink little things, its killing me. Also, I dont think noise cancelling will work that great either....they seem to just kinda lower the volume of everything you hear, and maybe cut out on some awkard frequencies but thats about it. Im looking for something comfortable, versatile, cuts down on lots of unwanted noise and most of all sounds great??

Someone, please help me turn this
azcrying.gif
into this
biggthumpup.gif

hmm... this is the second time I posted this, hopefully I dont make a fool of my self and have everyone see it 2 times (I hate when people do that, double post!)

May 31, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by BBalls
Ok guys this is it...... I need a set of good headphones, no more than about $200 (I may make an exception if they are THAT good) with a few conditions in mind....... First off I will be listening on a very LOUD lawn mower and various other pieces of equipmet that never seems to work anyway
errrr.gif
errrr.gif
........ to the point........ I dont want little things that stick in my ears, I dont care how comfortable they are, I hate wearing ear buds, thats all I do all day long, my ears hurt from the all foam noise reducing buds, and music doesnt even come through those damn pink little things, its killing me. Also, I dont think noise cancelling will work that great either....they seem to just kinda lower the volume of everything you hear, and maybe cut out on some awkard frequencies but thats about it. Im looking for something comfortable, versatile, cuts down on lots of unwanted noise and most of all sounds great??

Someone, please help me turn this
azcrying.gif
into this
biggthumpup.gif

hmm... this is the second time I posted this, hopefully I dont make a fool of my self and have everyone see it 2 times (I hate when people do that, double post!)

All I can think of is the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80. They sell for around $170. Hope this helps.

May 31, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

All I can think of is the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80. They sell for around $170. Hope this helps.

They are indeed very good.

You may also want to try the Sony MDR-V6 and the Sennheiser HD-280Pro.

If you've never heard the Etymotic ER4 you owe it to yourself to listen to them as well...

May 31, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 34
If you can't stand to stick Etys in your ears then that's fine, but you'll have to realize that nothing else will really give you a great reduction of lawn-mower noise. In order to seal that well they'd have to squeeze your head so hard it'd pop like an egg.

May 31, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by beni
If you can't stand to stick Etys in your ears then that's fine, but you'll have to realize that nothing else will really give you a great reduction of lawn-mower noise. In order to seal that well they'd have to squeeze your head so hard it'd pop like an egg.

The latter reference is towards all things that are not etymotics...

Trust the people here when they say that music *will* come through these black little things... coz these are actually the things making the music, and they make some great music! (FYI I don't own the etys but plan to buy them soon)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 34
To go against the grain...

If you don't want to wear earbuds of any kinds, DO NOT listen to music while lawnmowing or doing anything else in a very loud environment. None of the headphones mentioned here will be able to block out enough noise to allow you to listen to music without damaging your hearing.

You don't want to hear this, but Etys, or else some construction-grade earmuff ear protection with cheap earbuds underneath, are the only "safe" choices.

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 34
MacDEF = correct.

None of the common "closed" phones offer sufficient noise reduction for real background noise. They even seem to exagerate some frequencies. In order to compensate you will crank up the volume, and be in a worse situation.

I think that Sen made some HD muffs that also played music, but I haven't heard them.

The Etys are quite astounding. They are the answer to the question. What the hay (deliberate bad lawnmowing pun) headroom will let you try them for 30 days. I would go for the ER4P, but I haven't heard the ER6 yet.

gerG

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 34
-or-

we design a lawnmower that plays music instead of making noise. After all, music is just noise with better aim, right?

I'm thinking pipe organ exhaust system for starters. Bach's "Mowcatta and Fugue" at 110 decibles! We can get everybody BUT you wearing earplugs.

gerG

Jun 1, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

we design a lawnmower that plays music instead of making noise.

You should hear my bagpipelawnmower!
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 34
heh...get some rock concert loudspeakers, crank them up to 140dB or so and turn them upside-down over the lawn. They'll mow it by lighting all the grass on fire. It might not look great, but the grass sure will be short and you'll enjoy the music for 30 seconds until you go deaf.

Jun 1, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 34
ETYMOTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preferably the ER4P, since they block out more noise.

Etys are IMHO at the top of the price/performance curve...

Jun 1, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 34
The ER4x series all block out the same amount of noise as each other. They're the exact same earpiece and driver; only the cord is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back