What's better than Audio-Technica ATH-M50??
Mar 13, 2010 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

onassar

New Head-Fier
So after a lot of research, I finally decided to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Then? Man, they are stiff. Really stiff. I'm surprised I haven't cracked them in the 2 hours I've owned them. The sound is great. I have no complaints there, and the price range is great too. I was prepared to pay a little more, but after all the reviews, with the exception of the cracking-head ban, I decided to go with it.

And now, I'm going to return it. It feels so brittle. The sound and cord are great, isolation is nice, but I just don't feel confident with it.

Can someone point me in a good direction now for a similar set that doesn't feel as.. brittle?

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 27
I'll throw a Denon D1001 in the mix.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 27
...or the Shure SRH 440?

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 27
I don't really get the 'stiffness' thing - do you mean the headphone headband clamps too much, or are the pleather pads too stiff, or both?

Shure 440 / 840s are along the same lines as the M50s

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 27
I have no idea what you're talking about! maybe they take some breaking in and I've just forgotten about it?
I'm more confident about their durability than I've been with any other pair of headphones, they're very sturdy! been tossing them into my backpack without thinking about it for about a year, they don't care. just got some minor cracking on the earpads.

try working on them for a while, see if they don't loosen up

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 27
Thanks for the responses guys.
What I mean by 'stiffness' is that they put pressure on the side of my head. The headband doesn't seem very elastic in the sense that they're all pushing inwards. Also, the plastic mouldings on the side that connected the cups to the band seem very rigid and unforgiving.

I love the sound; I haven't returned them yet, but they feel like a pair where if there's one wrong move, the cup will snap right off. Do any of you guys know much about the Ultrasone DJ1, Ultrasone HFI-780, or Sennheiser HD-280?

I know the Sennheiser HD-280's are a popular one and a descent chunk cheaper. I really wanna try out the Ultrasone HFI-780. I heard real good things. Thoughts?

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by onassar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I mean by 'stiffness' is that they put pressure on the side of my head. The headband doesn't seem very elastic in the sense that they're all pushing inwards. Also, the plastic mouldings on the side that connected the cups to the band seem very rigid and unforgiving.

I love the sound; I haven't returned them yet, but they feel like a pair where if there's one wrong move, the cup will snap right off. Do any of you guys know much about the Ultrasone DJ1, Ultrasone HFI-780, or Sennheiser HD-280?

I know the Sennheiser HD-280's are a popular one and a descent chunk cheaper. I really wanna try out the Ultrasone HFI-780. I heard real good things. Thoughts?

All three of the headphones you listed will give even more of a pressure vice grip to the side of your head. M50's actually not horrible for a studio headphone as far as clamp is concerned... so if you are already experiencing a lot of pain with those, the above three aren't the answer either. You'd probably want something lighter clamping in that case, such as Denons and Audio Technica Axxx series, but this will come at sacrifice of some (well, quite a bit actually...) isolation.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 27
The clamping pressure of the M50 will lessen. I couldn't keep them on for more than an hour and a half at a time the first day I owned them (my head is very large; hat size 7 3/4), but now that it's been a few weeks, I can wear them for a full workday without taking them off except when I need to leave my desk.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 27
As stated above, they need to break in to the width of your head; almost all cans do.

If you like them SQ-wise, give them a week or two to burn in and break in first.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 27
While I was searching for a headphone in the same price range quite a few people told me that the Ultrasone HFI 780 was better than the M50.
So I decided to get that one instead.

Its a bit more expensive though, but its worth it imo.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or the Shure SRH 440?

I would actually recommend the SRH750DJ before the 440/840. When i was shopping around for the M50's, I had a chance to hear a burnt in pair of 440s, and a non-burnt in 840. Having heard the M50's as i have them now, the shures are lacking in the sub-bass response. I find the M50 to have a much lower extension, and hit with more impact. FWIR, the SRH750DJ has more extension than the 440/840.

Another option is the D2000 (so long it is in budget). Heard it described as M50-esque low end with more mid/high detail.

Just my $.02.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

What I mean by 'stiffness' is that they put pressure on the side of my head. The headband doesn't seem very elastic in the sense that they're all pushing inwards.

Just got the ATH-M50 myself, and must say I feel exactly the same. The clamping pressure is pretty significant. I thought my Panasonic HC500 were bad in that regard, but these Audio-Technicas are even worse. Let's just hope they'll loosen up soon, or else I'll be returning them, too, which would be a shame since they sound really good otherwise.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I would probably let them 'stretch out' over a pillow or something to loosen them up. Give them some time to adjust to your head. If that doesn't work............

If you're having problems with the clamping force of the M50's the HD280's will be worse. I have a pair and I can't wear them for more than an hour or so because of the pressure.

The Ultrasone HFI-780 is a good option as is the D2000. It has a very nice bass. I would probably go with a Ultrasone Pro 750 though. It's a step up from the 780 in my opinion, not only do they sound better but are more comfortable, also as a plus they come with a carrying case.They can be had for less than $200 used in the FS forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back