What's Better PS2 or XBox
Sep 27, 2002 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering which game console was a better choice?
Should have mentioned it's a gift for someone.

Sep 27, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 25
You have to remember, you're not buying the console, you're buying the games. . . which games do you like on the x-box? Which games do you like on the ps2?

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 25
How old is the person you are buying it for? If they're younger, gamecube might be the way to go for Nintendo's main franchise games (Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Donkey Kong). If they're a teenager who cares about appearances and need to fit in, X-Box or PS2 would be the way to go. If they are an older person, I would say X-Box probably. PS2 has the best diversity right now. Gamecube has a kitty appearance, but it has a lot of great games coming for all ages. I personally have a Gamecube, because I love Nintendo. And also, if money is an issue, Gamecube is the cheapest.

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 25
if they are a mechwarrior/battletech fan, you gotta go with the x-box. It has Mech Assault coming out this november.

i agree with fizz.

Gamecube: cheaper, more young person oriented.
PS2: Most diversity, a sort of middle ground in genres
x-box: marketed to older ppl (ie: 16+)

I have heard that x-box does not directly play DVD's unless you buy some adaptors or something. Is this true?

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 25
Yes, the Xbox cannot play DVDs out of the box. It requires its remote control kit to "unlock" that "feature".
rolleyes.gif
I forgot what the whole trade off was, but basically it came with a feature the PS2 didn't come in box with (might've been the HD, or broadband), but the DVD playback on the other hand was the tradeoff for that feature.

I own a PS2 right now, really digging it and have easily logged well over 300 hours on it, but I'm tempted to get a Gamecube too. If anything, because it's relatively cheap, and some of my bloody audio purchases like cables have already costed a Gamecube and some games. Rather sad when I think about it.
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 25
I think they are all excellent consoles... and I'd own them all but that would leave me no time for anything else!

I'll wind up with an Xbox, methinks. I have broadband internet access making Xbox Live too compelling to pass up. The next wave of 2nd generation titles is on the brink of release... as are new titles from the recently acquired Rare. Built-in TiVo features are coming next, and hey - free $30 DVD controller with purchase this month.

Gates isn't gonna give up. Given Microsoft's track record, they will eventually dominate the category. I'm not a Micro-head, just an observer...

Sep 27, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 25
I think andrze said it all there--figure out what games you want and buy the hardware that plays them.

Who wins, who loses, what market share and what company does whatever the hell is just politics. I remember when FidoNet was going nuts over which was better 3DO or Jaguar. I got an import copy of Super Metroid and R-Type 3 for SNES/Super Famicon while they argued about the merits of Crash N Burn and Trevor McFur and whether Atari Corp knew how to do math or not. It's the games, people. Not the hardware.

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 25
I couldn't choose now if I had to. I made a decision to stop playing games so much (job, y'know? Wish I was a full-time stoner) so I lent the PS2 to a friend, long term. I had to have it because of Gran Turismo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 3. If I was choosing now I'd have to consider the upcoming Mechwarrior game for Xbox and the one that penny-arcade.com is always drooling over, Panzer Dragoon Oorta. Whatever I chose I would wish I had the other eventually.

(Oh, if you do buy an X-box stay away from Blood Wake. BORING!)

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 25
i say buy a dvd-burner and a ps2 from lik-sang.. if you know what i mean..

i had a playstation and loved it. i'd say to go with them if you really want games. x-box is just a computer and real ones are much better. just my opinion of course.

Sep 27, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 25
PS2

Edit: Although, if you're big on multiplayer games, then Xbox is probably better (even, though I wouldn't think so). But then again, the PC has it beat in THAT category. I say, if your CPU is decent, get GeForce 3 or some other cheap-but-good video card, some extra RAM, and buy some PC games. Or get the PS2. Or Gamecube.

Sep 28, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I couldn't choose now if I had to. I made a decision to stop playing games so much (job, y'know? Wish I was a full-time stoner) so I lent the PS2 to a friend, long term. I had to have it because of Gran Turismo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 3. If I was choosing now I'd have to consider the upcoming Mechwarrior game for Xbox and the one that penny-arcade.com is always drooling over, Panzer Dragoon Oorta. Whatever I chose I would wish I had the other eventually.

(Oh, if you do buy an X-box stay away from Blood Wake. BORING!)

Same here. So I decided not to get either and just stick with PC gaming.

Sep 29, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 25
Without even reading any of the other replies...

A PS2 hands down if it's games you're after. I kind of prefer the controller, too.

The XBOX has an amazing capability for upgrades/imporvement. There are a lot of projects right now to do great things with it. It has been used to run all manner of operating systems, and thus could be a cheap word processing/web browsing alternative for peolpe on budgets, with the added capabilities of a top shelf gaming console. The only problem is M$ has it's head up it's ass and only wants the XBOX to play it's games. Mi$'s idea of game development is to buy a game company and use it's reputation to sell games. Like RARE, Ltd.

Sep 30, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 25
Xbox is a Trojan Horse... Tivo is coming, along with voice over IP, and other neato goodies.

Microsoft was wise to buy Rare. They practically ripped out one of Nintendo's vital organs in the process. Once the Xbox has some killer exclusive videogame titles, Microsoft's market share will continue growing.

I don't see anywhere for Xbox to go but up. As far as Sony is concerned, their PS 3 concept where you play games on your toaster oven (or whatever) sounds completely insane. Until Sony elaborates further about their concept, all my chips are on Microsoft's playcard. I like betting with the house.

Best of all I can buy American! Haven't been able to do that since... uh... Coleco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back