What's best to upgrade from a pair of E2C's?
Aug 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danielbriggs

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm sure you'll all been asked this a thousand times, but I've tried searching and can't find an answer to my specific question, just roughly similar.

I've got a pair of Shure E2C's and think they are excellent!
But I want to upgrade to a better pair....

Now, I can get a pair of 3 month old E3C's for a good price (£35), and I reckon I could get £30 for my current set on eBay.
Obviosuly it's worth upgrading at virtually zero cost then...

BUT, I've done some research and opened a can of worms on the new Shure models. How do they match up to their old range? i.e. does the SE210 map to the E2c's? But what about the SE110? are they the new e2c's?

I can get a brand new pair of SE530 for £160 on eBay, but I'm a bit apprehensive to spending that much.

Then I heard that the Super.Fi ones were very good and more value for money.

So... it all boils down to:

1.) Don't bother upgrading, stick with my E2C's
2.) Upgrade to some used E3C's for next to nothing
3.) Buy a new pair of SE210's
4.) Buy a new pair for SE310's
5.) Go nuts and splash out on a pair of SE530's (without PTH)
6.) Buy some Super.Fi 3's
7.) Buy some Super.Fi 5 Pro's (Dual armature I think)
8.) But some Super.Fi 5 EB - (Enhanced Bass - single armature driver I think)
9.) Open to other suggestions....

Ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I tend to get carried away and plunge for something expensive.

I listen to a variety of music genres, 90% is at 256kbs AAC, (perhaps not as good as some diehard audiophiles, but I think that'll do for me). I'm after clarity and loved the soundstange of the E2C's, but would like something with a bit more bass kick for the dance-type tracks. I don't wan't at all a set of muffled bass 'kickers'. I'm after clarity, a clear soundstage with a good solid bass sound (perhaps able to handle rich cinematic sounds like that of a good sub, for when I use them with movies on my laptop).

I'm sorry if that's confusing, but I know not one set will have all those, I'm just listing what I'm hoping for.

Dan :)

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Just go nuts and buy the SE530
biggrin.gif

I'm aching to buy mine
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Aww... not fair mate!
I need to narrow them down not have more choices! But I'll take a serious look at them tonight.

Which one would you choose?
I think I might go for the E3C's now, sell my E2C's for the same price, and then look at a serious pair, such as the Super.Fi 5 or the SE530's or other.

Sound good? (no pun intended!)

Dan

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Denon C551 or C751. I compared E2C with my Denons and even C551 ($60s) beat E2C in my experience, the only plus from the E2C is the isolation.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielbriggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5.) Go nuts and splash out on a pair of SE530's (without PTH)

There's your answer right there, especially if you are only a bit apprehensive about spending the extra cash. They are well worth it. I started with E2C's too, then bought E500s. I thought it might be dubious to spend so much, but I have absolutely no regrets.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all your replies.

I guess that solves it - just hang on and get the SE530's. I knew they were good, just not THAT good...
I'll have to find a shop that demo's them - hopefully that'll push me along a bit to save up quicker!
I got a really decent demo from the Apple Store for the SE110's (waste of time - same, if not slightly worse than E2C's), SE210's, (couldn't tell the difference between the E2C's) and SE310's (loved them! MUCH better clarity and a 'warmer' feel!) But they didn't sell the 420's or 530's. And if the quality of the 530's is going to be miles better than the 310's I'm in for a treat!

BUT, one last question:
TBH, I'm leaning towards the SE530's from all your recommendations, but should I consider the Super.Fi 10 Pro's at all, or do the SE530's win hands down? Anyone have both?

Thanks again,

Dan

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 10
so what did you get in the end daniel?

i am also currently using E2C, been with me for a good 5 years. it responds well to EQ but no matter what i do it sounds muffled, lacks midrange and vocal clarity. the bass is all there and lovely alright.

so what do i upgrade to? i am looking closely at the Etymotics ER4P or UE Super.Fi 5.. or anything below USD$200..

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm chasing a pair of SE530's, on eBay and on your Buy/Sell Area.

I was unsure if I should go with the Triple.Fi 10's or the SE530's, and after reading loads of review, the SE530's seemed to be more comfortable and more powerful bass.

I use my E2C's with my iPod and HAVE to have the EQ turned off, otherwise it sounds all distorted and wrong (on most settings). Personally I think the E2C's sound best 'natural' on my iPod.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back