What's best "closed" HPhones between $100-$250?
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #16 of 34
i do have a round, big head.

I also have a left ear that is sensitive to highs, in that after prolonged exposure to highs my left ear tends to go numb soncically & shut out high frequencies for a day or two. Damage resulted from a Foetus concert many years ago. This is why i emphasized the mellow requirements of recommendations.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lean bass, though very detailed and textured.
If you can live with it these headphones are excellent.

a leaner bass than the SR80s?

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess another qualifier should be that i will be laying down on a pillow most of the time with these, so i guess that would disqualify the more bulky ones that might be recommended otherwise. Does that apply to the 250s or Shures?

If you're lying on your back you'll be fine. The dt250's are relatively large but not too heavy. Trying to lie on your side is another story though, especially because the 250's cable attaches on one side of the headphones using a fairly large connector. Here's an example

dt250_800.jpg

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're lying on your back you'll be fine. The dt250's are relatively large but not too heavy. Trying to lie on your side is another story though, especially because the 250's cable attaches on one side of the headphones using a fairly large connector. Here's an example

i thought those seemed really big, bit after this comment maybe i'll reconsider those.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 34
I've owned the SRH840's since release and I use them more than my HF-2's... Mind you I lug my 840s to work every day :p. Great cans, never regretted buying them.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Are the BD 770s more for studio work? I saw those for $200, same price as 250s.

The DT770 Pro's are for studiowork, the DT770 2005 consumer edition is for the audiophile market. But some use one of the Pro's as well for their home listening.
They all have in common a not relaxing treble. So I don't think you want them.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

a leaner bass than the SR80s?

Yes definitely.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnumxl711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-M50, akg 271 although closed are very loose and offer very little sound isolation. I'd say ATH-M50 for gaming as the SRH840 would be too laid back in my opinion for gaming.

Sure you are not confusing them for something else like D2000, as they are super tight and offer an excellent isolation?
Properly driven with better sealing velour pads the bass is definitely not lean.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

i thought those seemed really big, bit after this comment maybe i'll reconsider those.

I find them very comfortable but you're never going to be 100% comfortable lying down with pretty much any over-the-ear headphone. Is there any way you could go listen to some of these cans?

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG 271s may not work well lying down. They automatically mute when you take them off. Sometimes pressure on the cups will trigger them to mute.

Yes, get the 272's if you want the 'home' version.
AKG Personal Audio - K 272 HD

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

ordered SH840s. Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate the input and assistance. You guys always come through.

Congrats! Let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back