What's best "closed" HPhones between $100-$250?
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

gnostic19

Head-Fier
I have some Grado SR80s that i listen to with a Head Direct EF-1 amp. I tend to be listening at night, in bed, next to the woman who happens to be snoozing. I need some closed phones, i think, to minimize noise. These Grados are liud. I was set on the AKG 701s but have read that they can be loud too. This true?

Anyways, i listen mainly to 4-5 piece acoustic jazz along with some rock stuff. I want some phones that are mellow, precise with some thump to them, preferences in that order.

Thanks for any help.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 34
Shure SRH840 - Excellent value for $ in this price range (if you can find them - I know many vendors were sold out a little while back, not sure if they've gotten new stock in - check the SRH840 thread), competitive much beyond its price, won't leak sound in or out, and definitely mellow and precise with some thump.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 34
I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT-250's. They might be a few years old but they have a really nice sound and do a very good job of keeping the music in and external noises out.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 34
Considering all the praise, not to say hype about them on this forum the most obvious candidates would be the Shure SRH-840's.

You can go cheaper though and get the Audio Technica ATH-M40's or M45's.
I own a pair and they are precise, mellow and with great bass.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 34
BeyerDynamic DT150, Sony MDR-XB700, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, German Maestro GMP 250.
All of them have somewhat rolled off highs, but overall enough precision and thump to let you enjoy the music.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 34
A lean bass, though very detailed and textured.
If you can live with it these headphones are excellent.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 34
i guess another qualifier should be that i will be laying down on a pillow most of the time with these, so i guess that would disqualify the more bulky ones that might be recommended otherwise. Does that apply to the 250s or Shures?

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 34
For a laugh I tried lying down on my bed with the 840s. No problems whatsoever if you like to lay on your back. When I sat up, the head band was too heavy and they fell off. I'd say no problems with big clunky cans.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess another qualifier should be that i will be laying down on a pillow most of the time with these, so i guess that would disqualify the more bulky ones that might be recommended otherwise. Does that apply to the 250s or Shures?

The DT-250 is 240 grams, while the SRH840 is 317.5 grams (cable excluded). As for falling off while lying down, it depends on your head size. It was one of the reasons why I sold my SRH840. That being said, they have excellent isolation and a laidback sound which works well for slower genres.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any opinions on AKG 271 mkii?

Also a very good closed headphone with smooth, non piercing highs. Forgot to mention them.
On my head they sat rather tight, so lying down with them should be possible (though I have a big head).
And they are one of the best isolating in the closed headphones field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back