whats are the current best players for audio quality?
Nov 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 27
Going back to the original topic...

I think Ipod touch 2g/ nano 4g have the best sq at the moment.

I'd say the general consensus of the audiophile community appears to be that Sony or Sansa are the best. As for Cowon, it seems the vast majority of people who compare Sony with Cowon prefer Sony.

I've had both the Sony S610 and Sansa Fuze at the same time- I found not much difference between them but preferred the sony slightly. I've never really found that much difference between daps in terms of sq.

However, having recently a-b'd the ipod touch 2g/nano with my sony, I was blown away by the difference. Most notably, the separation/soundstage of the ipods made the sony seem like mono vs surround sound. The sound in general from the ipods was cleaner, crisper and the bass seemed fuller and deeper. This was all done without eq.

Now, I was waiting for the Cowon s9, but having heard the ipod's, the only question left is ipod touch or nano? Even if the cowon somehow betters the sq slightly, the UI (judging by past products) is going to fall far short of the ipod UI.
As such, my answer to your question is: IMO Ipod touch 2g/nano (though maybe cowon, which i havnt heard in a while).

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 27
If only Apple didn't insist on selling a battery powered device that you cannot change the battery in. If only people were not stupid enough to buy it. That's not good design, it's brilliant marketing by the control freak Steve Jobs. It's a way to make a $150+ device disposable by making the one part of it that is guaranteed to to wear out non-user serviceable. Can you really imagine buying any other device that is powered by batteries you cannot replace? Personally I cannot imagine buying any, including the iPod. Of course Apple will replace it for you for $49 (iPod shuffle), $59 (iPod nano and classic), $79 (iPod touch) plus $6.95 shipping.

Unfortunately other MP3 makers have decided to follow Apple's lead and it's almost impossible to find one that will just take a plain old AAA battery.

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only Apple didn't insist on selling a battery powered device that you cannot change the battery in. If only people were not stupid enough to buy it. That's not good design, it's brilliant marketing by the control freak Steve Jobs. It's a way to make a $150+ device disposable by making the one part of it that is guaranteed to to wear out non-user serviceable. Can you really imagine buying any other device that is powered by batteries you cannot replace? Personally I cannot imagine buying any, including the iPod. Of course Apple will replace it for you for $49 (iPod shuffle), $59 (iPod nano and classic), $79 (iPod touch) plus $6.95 shipping.

Unfortunately other MP3 makers have decided to follow Apple's lead and it's almost impossible to find one that will just take a plain old AAA battery.

yea that was another concern of mine getting the ipod touch, but as it is right now im torn between the 639 sony,one of the sansa fuze's,and the ipod touch.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can buy batteries off ebay which work perfectly fine for less than $10. Why would any one still use a AAA battery? Rechargable batteries are so much more convenient. By the time the battery dies in a few years, most people would get a newer better mp3 player anyway.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #21 of 27
I think that people in different zones have different taste. Some favorite portable players in my country are as follows: Sony NH/RH1 MD players, Kenwood D9,imod and some old model sony CD players.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #23 of 27
I think it would be good to know what headphones or gear you'll be using it with. I'm no DAP expert like some who have had lots like some other people but i do know there can be synergy or dissonance between a player's and a headphone's sound signature.

Anyway in general I'll say that the recent DAPS I've had: Sansa Clip - good, surprisingly so for the price, but I wasn't impressed with the EQ, it seemed to do more to the sound than just EQ it but it sounded nice with no EQ. 6.5/10 with a +1 for the value angle.
Cowon D2 - very nice. Lots of formats supported, lots and LOTS of customization in all aspects including sound. Might be a touch on the flat or 'analyitcal' side for some when flat but that can be EQ'd/effected out to an extent. It's come down a lot in price since it's being phased out, I was considering buying another one jsut because I don't believe there will be a DAP that fills so many of my requisites soon. 8+/10
Insignia Pilot - not very good. I felt like I was listening to the songs through an artificial Dolby soundfield effect, so it was colored in a bad (imo) way. 3/10

(Keep in mind my scores are really strict and I have to leave room at the top
tongue.gif
)

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #24 of 27
Pair an iPod Touch w/an LOD>Amp combo & it rocks, same as my Zune w/a simple, cheap FiiO amp through the HP out. I'm sorry I returned my Touch 2G, since I never really knew what I was missing before the FiiO. Now, I'm eventually going to get 1 again, and get an amp + HFI-780's. Can't beat that with a baseball bat!!! Well, all the extras w/it are the iceing on the cake!!!
popcorn.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 27
Iaudio7,X5,Cowon D2 and Sansa Fuze/Clip are the best sounding players I have heard. I am waiting for my Sony 639. I have owned a lot of Rio players including the Karma and Creative MUVOs. I have never been impressed about these.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 27
well initially because i have a fairly large music collection i wanted high capacity but but neither the zune or ipod classic really appeal to me,HD based mp3 players r prone to fail...its tough to give up that capacity. having basicly accepted that i resigned myself to seeing what the best flash based players are. the the touch 2g intrigues me. the turnoff about the sony is its size and lack of sd card expansion. the sansa view seemed interesting...not sure what to pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back