What's a "noticeable" upgrade?
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

I've been wondering lately on what would be a good possible amp upgrade in the $300 & below range from the Hifiman EF2A (w/ Mullard CV4010 Tubes)?  I own a Beyerdynamics DT990/600, and I am planning on upgrading my DAC soon to the HRT MS2.  I thought about grabbing the Schiit Audio Asgard as it is a Class A amp, and I think with the HRT it would sound magnificent. 

I once heard the DT990/600 with the Asgard, but it wasn't an ideal listening experience due to my environment and the fact that the cables that connected my DAC (the FiiO E10) and the Asgard were in really bad shape causing distortion of many sorts.  It wasn't a nice experience at all.  I am reconsidering it though, along with the Little Dot MKIII and the Darkvoice 336se.

So what do you guys think?

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I am very pleased with my Bellari HA 540 which uses a 12ax7 tube and has more than enough gain to drive your Beyers. I paid $250 for mine, but it comes with a cheap Chinese tube that I immediately replaced with a nos Sylvania 7025 ($35 unused from amplifiedparts.com, which is located in Tempe, AZ). That tube is amazing with this amp and I have used it with Q701, HD 598 and Grado PS 500. The amp is dead-quiet and has high and low inputs as well as 1/4" and mini headphone jacks. The sound quality is as good or better than many more expensive models IMO. I am currently using a French Mazda 5751 triple mica tube because of it's increased headroom with my Grado's. My setup: imac w/lossless files>ibasso D7 dac>HA 540.  

I'm sure the Little Dot and Darkvoice models are quite nice also, but I am a fan of the 12ax7 and for me it's the Bellari.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I am very pleased with my Bellari HA 540 which uses a 12ax7 tube and has more than enough gain to drive your Beyers. I paid $250 for mine, but it comes with a cheap Chinese tube that I immediately replaced with a nos Sylvania 7025 ($35 unused from amplifiedparts.com, which is located in Tempe, AZ). That tube is amazing with this amp and I have used it with Q701, HD 598 and Grado PS 500. The amp is dead-quiet and has high and low inputs as well as 1/4" and mini headphone jacks. The sound quality is as good or better than many more expensive models IMO. I am currently using a French Mazda 5751 triple mica tube because of it's increased headroom with my Grado's. My setup: imac w/lossless files>ibasso D7 dac>HA 540.  

I'm sure the Little Dot and Darkvoice models are quite nice also, but I am a fan of the 12ax7 and for me it's the Bellari.

Interesting, I'll read up on the HA 540s a little more then.  Thanks for that recommendation!
Quote:
A good bang for your dollar is DIY. Get a soldering iron, put together a nice kit and you'll be pleased.

I've never done DIY.  I've considered getting the Bottlehead Crack as well and building it myself, but I heard it benefits Sennheisers more.  Would it be beneficiary to the DT990?

What about the Schiit amps, are either of them a good pairing with the DT990?

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 6
The Crack is a fantastic amp, and I've listened to all the heavy DT Beyers through it. I think after Senns, Beyers pair the best with the Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back