What's a good step up from SE535?
Jun 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Robgo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sort of in the market for new IEM's. I've owned my SE535 a couple of years now and they have done me well but I'm looking for a bit more now. I've modded my SE535 with the grey damper and get more clarity now and I like that. but I want a bit more low end without sacrificing impact or clarity.

I'm not a basshead, far from it, and I don't like overly analytical headphones (don't like headphones with an analytical wide sound like Beyer headphones). I loved my HD650's when I owned them. The Shure SE535 sound a bit similar but don't quite have the same clarity, detail and separation as the HD650's, and I'm missing that. I want a bit more mid/low end as well. I listen to a lot of metal BTW but listen to other genres as well. I'm very keen on having loads of detail but I'd like a bit more growl and bite on the low/mid end than the SE535's provide.

I'd say at this point my budget is about $600.

Anything reasonable out there that sounds like it would make me happy?

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi,

I upgraded from the se535 to se846 this year and I really love them. I think if you can get a chance to listen to them somewhere, you should give them a go. You said your budget at this point is about 600 usd, so maybe you'll be able to raise the 400 extra. Just throwing this in because I think the se846 are an excellent upgrade for people that like the se535.

Also dont be put off by the "subwoofer like bass" description of it. I was initially pretty worried about that myself. It's not easily described other than that is very seperated and doesnt impact the mids. 

Hope you get a chance to listen to them. I think they would make you very happy :) 

edit:

also if you try them - they fit a bit different into the ear (at least with my ears) from the se535. Basicly after inserting them i then rotate them downwards a few degrees. So if you try them out and you dont like the sound, try inserting them this way.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 9
The OP is converting £ to $USD for the benefit of this being an American-orientated forum. $600 does not go as far for a UK citizen than a US citizen.

Having sold my SE535 earlier this week - having owned it since Mar 2012 - I too can vouch that the SE846 is a definite and worthy upgrade from SE535, hells no should anyone pay UK RRP for it. Got mine whilst holidaying in Tokyo, the saving on UK price nearly pays for the flights to Tokyo!!

This is not buying advice (as I have not heard it) but a lot of forum members praise the FA-4E in a more affordable price range:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667638/fischer-amps-fa-4-e-xb-new-4-ba-iem-from-germany
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_fa_4e_xb_blue.htm
http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/Fischer-Amps-FA-4E-XB-professional-earphones/dp/B00GJM6H6E

Handheldaudio are in North London if you ever travel down

I have briefly demoed the SD3 iem but would say more bass quantity than quality - but absolutely get why people go for it. All about personal taste and source synergy in this game

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 9
  The OP is converting £ to $USD for the benefit of this being an American-orientated forum. $600 does not go as far for a UK citizen than a US citizen.

Having sold my SE535 earlier this week - having owned it since Mar 2012 - I too can vouch that the SE846 is a definite and worthy upgrade from SE535, hells no should anyone pay UK RRP for it. Got mine whilst holidaying in Tokyo, the saving on UK price nearly pays for the flights to Tokyo!!

This is not buying advice (as I have not heard it) but a lot of forum members praise the FA-4E in a more affordable price range:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667638/fischer-amps-fa-4-e-xb-new-4-ba-iem-from-germany
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_fa_4e_xb_blue.htm
http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/Fischer-Amps-FA-4E-XB-professional-earphones/dp/B00GJM6H6E

Handheldaudio are in North London if you ever travel down

I have briefly demoed the SD3 iem but would say more bass quantity than quality - but absolutely get why people go for it. All about personal taste and source synergy in this game

haha, yeah I buy this stuff overseas. I bought my HRT Microstreamer from US and paid about £89 for it and £14 shipping. If I bought it from a local retailer I'd have paid £189. I am taking that into consideration. Basically I want to spend £350 but if it's really worth it I will save a bit more. I was strongly considering the SE846 before I made this thread but wanted someone to talk me out of it.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 9
  Based on your preferred sound description, I don't think there is any universal IEM that is a definite upgrade at $600.  IEMs have limitations & none of them will match a properly amped HD650. You could certainly go for a dynamic IEM for more bass, but then you will sacrifice other sound qualities.

Yeah. I am thinking I can buy a pair of HD650 and a decent tube amp with beautiful ulyanovsk tubes for the same price as a flagship IEM. I may as well do that. Just keep the best for home and just keep the something I have pretty good for on the go.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 9
  Based on your preferred sound description, I don't think there is any universal IEM that is a definite upgrade at $600.  IEMs have limitations & none of them will match a properly amped HD650. You could certainly go for a dynamic IEM for more bass, but then you will sacrifice other sound qualities.

I really want to thank you for posting this. I knew what you were saying all along but was deluding myself. I can buy a much better kit for quality at half the price as long as I don't decide to go portable. I can have a home kit for super qaulity (still cheaper than flagship iem's) and have a pretty damn good portable setup as well.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 9
I was strongly considering the SE846 before I made this thread but wanted someone to talk me out of it.

Thomann UK sell se846 a touch less than others and are still Shure official retailer

Read forums and reviews to obtain the range of opinions - good, bad and inbetween but nothing beats demoing. Without demo might have gone for the Westone W series instead. But demoing in Tokyo the SE846 edged it (made repeat visits to akiba ha)

Your tastes might differ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back