What's a good entry-level amp for DT250-250?
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
OK I can feel myself being called deeper and deeper into head-fido(o)m. I've got a pair of DT250-250 and I'm looking into the possibility of getting an amp for them. Something like the Bithead/Total Bithead is appealing because I could use it as a soundcard and amp for my desktop PC and iBook laptop. This would help me kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, by improving my source and getting an amp. It would also allow me to use just the amp part with my iPod and PCDP.

What do you amp experts have to say about this idea? Would the Bithead mate well with the DT250-250? Is there something else that would be even more perfect for my situation?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
OK I can feel myself being called deeper and deeper into head-fido(o)m. I've got a pair of DT250-250 and I'm looking into the possibility of getting an amp for them. Something like the Bithead/Total Bithead is appealing because I could use it as a soundcard and amp for my desktop PC and iBook laptop. This would help me kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, by improving my source and getting an amp. It would also allow me to use just the amp part with my iPod and PCDP.

What do you amp experts have to say about this idea? Would the Bithead mate well with the DT250-250? Is there something else that would be even more perfect for my situation?

The only amp I have at the moment is the pocket amp V2. It does a fine job with the 250-250's. I realize that there may be other amps out there that will create a better synergy, but I just wanted to comment that the pocket amp gets the job done well.
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 12
I may be upgrading my amp soon (currently have a Porta Corda II), and I know the DT250-250 was a good match with the PCII. I'd probably sell for around $120 shipped if I found another amp I liked.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Bump.

Anyone? Come on, help me out here. I want to get something to help out my DT250-250 - something better than a CMOY so I won't be tempted to upgrade too quickly, but something not so expensive either.

So would the BitHead be a good all-in one solution for use with multiple computers as a soundcard/amp and with an iPod/PCDP as just an amp?

Help a guy out here, I know you can do it. Or is there a secret amp forum handshake I don't know?

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Bump.

Anyone? Come on, help me out here. I want to get something to help out my DT250-250 - something better than a CMOY so I won't be tempted to upgrade too quickly, but something not so expensive either.

So would the BitHead be a good all-in one solution for use with multiple computers as a soundcard/amp and with an iPod/PCDP as just an amp?

Help a guy out here, I know you can do it. Or is there a secret amp forum handshake I don't know?

What's your price limit? I think that would help in determining what would be a good fit for you. I thought that the PCII would be right up your alley, and not too expensive, but it appears that may be out of your price range?

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Go-Vibe v3
Pocket Amp 2 v2
CMoy (you can find one on eBay or in the For Sale / Trade Forum)

All of those should be available for under $100. Over $100 and I think you're past entry level and should probably revise your thread.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 12
govibe... big open, spatious sound for the $$$. Nice treble sparkle compared to the PA2, which has more bass/midrange impact.

Use the search tool for "PA2"... you should hit more of my comments.

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 12
OK now we're cooking with gas.

The Go-Vibe is out of production, right? I'd have to find it used, I suppose?

So there are no affordable USB DAC+AMB combos?

How would the Go-Vibe or PA2 sound when fed from a Chaintech AV710?

I'm really trying to kill two birds with one stone as I'll have two computer sources to upgrade as well as amplify. Something like the BitHead or PCIIUSB would have the perfect feature sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back