Whats a good Dac/Amp for Fidelio X2/JBL 305s?
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Mihle

New Head-Fier
So I have Fidelio X2 and JBL 305s, and I think I want a Dac/amp (can be either combo or not combo).

The price is max 300€ currently.

I have heard about dac/amp combos like fro example Micca origen+, Optoma NuForce uDAC 3 and Audioengine D1.
What do you guys recommend of them or anything else bellow 300€?

ps. just a note, I am not actually 100% sure if I will actually get it or not yet.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 66
A good entry-level option would be the Schiit Fulla 2. With speakers it sounds better in DAC only mode with the Schiit SYS passive preamp for volume control.

The best DAC/amp (not counting standalone DAC) I've used with the LSR305 is the Chord Mojo, which you *might* be able to get used if you get lucky.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 66
Perhaps the Magni2/Modi2 stack? It's fairly neutral. I've heard the O2 combo is neutral as hell

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 66
Perhaps the Magni2/Modi2 stack? It's fairly neutral. I've heard the O2 combo is neutral as hell

Do you know how the Magni2/modi2 compare to for example Micca origen+? like, I know Micca origen+ is less expensive, but how do they compare?

A good entry-level option would be the Schiit Fulla 2. With speakers it sounds better in DAC only mode with the Schiit SYS passive preamp for volume control.

The best DAC/amp (not counting standalone DAC) I've used with the LSR305 is the Chord Mojo, which you *might* be able to get used if you get lucky.

Is the amp/volume knob on the Fulla 2 not the best or something?

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 66
Is the amp/volume knob on the Fulla 2 not the best or something?

It's not the volume knob; it's the fact that the electronics in the amp color the sound when you use it as a DAC/preamp. (Same goes for the much more expensive iFi micro iDSD. This doesn't happen with all DAC/amps, of course, and Chord is one notable exception, since their amplification is in the DAC's analog output stage and you can use them as a DAC/digital preamp without coloring the sound.) Passive preamps such as the Schiit SYS have no electronics and merely attenuate the signal from the DAC.

But speaking of the volume knob, both the Fulla 2 and SYS can make soft scratching noises when you adjust the volume. This is all too common in cheap equipment, so they're certainly not endgame; just something good to start with.

Also, if you want to use a Magni as a preamp for speakers, you'll need the Magni 2 Uber.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 66
So I have Fidelio X2 and JBL 305s, and I think I want a Dac/amp (can be either combo or not combo).

I have heard about dac/amp combos like fro example Micca origen+, Optoma NuForce uDAC 3 and Audioengine D1.

ps. just a note, I am not actually 100% sure if I will actually get it or not yet.

Can we assume the audio source is a Windows PC and your currently plugging the Fidelio and JBLs into the motherboard's on-board audio?

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 66
Would agree with a Chord Mojo I found one used for $360 and that is right at 300€. Great little unit.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 66

All those will power the X2 just fine, but double check if they have preamp control for the line out. The UDAC3 is the only that does that that I'm sure of. At the very least, if they all work as a preamp, they'd power the X2 just fine, and give you preamp control for the speakers.

If you're planning on getting any other headphones in the future though it might be better to invest in something else for just a bit more, unless your motherboard totally sucks or you're using a laptop.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 66
It's not the volume knob; it's the fact that the electronics in the amp color the sound when you use it as a DAC/preamp. (Same goes for the much more expensive iFi micro iDSD. This doesn't happen with all DAC/amps, of course, and Chord is one notable exception, since their amplification is in the DAC's analog output stage and you can use them as a DAC/digital preamp without coloring the sound.) Passive preamps such as the Schiit SYS have no electronics and merely attenuate the signal from the DAC.

But speaking of the volume knob, both the Fulla 2 and SYS can make soft scratching noises when you adjust the volume. This is all too common in cheap equipment, so they're certainly not endgame; just something good to start with.

Also, if you want to use a Magni as a preamp for speakers, you'll need the Magni 2 Uber.

Oh, good to know.
Is way to do it
For powered stuff, like my 305s
PC --> DAC --> preamp --> powered speakers
While not powered stuff like headphones
PC --> DAC --> Amp --> headphones

or maybe all amps "include" preamps?

Can we assume the audio source is a Windows PC and your currently plugging the Fidelio and JBLs into the motherboard's on-board audio?

Yes.

All those will power the X2 just fine, but double check if they have preamp control for the line out. The UDAC3 is the only that does that that I'm sure of. At the very least, if they all work as a preamp, they'd power the X2 just fine, and give you preamp control for the speakers.

If you're planning on getting any other headphones in the future though it might be better to invest in something else for just a bit more, unless your motherboard totally sucks or you're using a laptop.

So some things include just amp while others include both amp and preamp?

"For just a bit more" do you mean more than those I mentioned, or more than 300 €? Can you come with some products?
I have no plans for other headphones right now, never now in the future.

Internet says Micca origen+ have preamp control from what I can find, but I dont think the non + version had?

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 66
Is way to do it
For powered stuff, like my 305s
PC --> DAC --> preamp --> powered speakers
While not powered stuff like headphones
PC --> DAC --> Amp --> headphones

You could do it that way. Or you could have the SYS preamp between the DAC and both the headphone amp and speakers, since it can be configured with one input and two outputs. (Or you can do one output and two inputs or just one of each.) That way, you wouldn't have to reconnect any cables; you'd just push the button on the front to switch between them. When you're using the headphone amp, you would normally increase the preamp volume to maximum, so it would be like using the headphone amp as you normally would in terms of volume control.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 66
or maybe all amps "include" preamps?

So some things include just amp while others include both amp and preamp?

All headphone amps have a preamp circuit. That's why you can control the volume on them in the first place. What many don't have is a way to send the signal coming off the preamp circuit out of the headphone amp instead of going to its own amplifier output stage.

"For just a bit more" do you mean more than those I mentioned, or more than 300 €? Can you come with some products?

AudioGD NFB-11

I have no plans for other headphones right now, never now in the future.

Then you can do with the Fulla2 or even just the UDAC3 if you can get that cheaper.

Internet says Micca origen+ have preamp control from what I can find, but I dont think the non + version had?

Not sure about the specifics but as long as it has a preamp output you can control the speakers.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 66
Why do you think it looks shady?

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 66
Well, that looks really shady....
Someone mentioned Modi 2 uber/magni 2 uber, is they actually really good?
For me they are 450€, more than I feel comfortable spending....
So far I've bought two DAC/amps (NFB-15.32 & NFB-15) from Audio-GD and have been very happy with both purchases.
Will admit Audio-GD is not big on advertising and the answers they offer can seem somewhat limited, but it's usually enough to get the basic help directions cross.
And I see little, if any justifiable negatives reviews, on Audio-GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back