What's a good "bang for your buck" headphone amp?
Feb 9, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

=w=

Head-Fier
I'm only 14, yet already an audiophile. And in order to get the best from the headphones I'm getting, I really need an amp. And being, my age I really dont have to much money. So, if someone would reccomend me a good cheap amp, it would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 14
The Gilmore Lite at $250 new is a good choice. It has most of the performance of the V2 at less than half the price!

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by =w=
I'm only 14, yet already an audiophile. And in order to get the best from the headphones I'm getting, I really need an amp. And being, my age I really dont have to much money. So, if someone would reccomend me a good cheap amp, it would be greatly appreciated.

what setup do you currently have?

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 14
I recently spent all of my money on my computer speakers, those being the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's with an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. But my portable setup, is a Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra 30gb, and I'm forced to use the awful earphones that came with it until I can get my new Grados or Sennheisers and my amp.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 14
for music you should have gotten a revolution 7.1 instead of an audigy 2.

audigy 2 is only good for gaming since it has EAX IMO.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Keep your eye on the Gear For Sale / Trade forum here at HeadFi
rs1smile.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 14
No doubt, a good vintage receiver can be picked up cheaply, and often will sound really good, depending on the model.

Some may need fixing up, others not, but I find my Marantz 2230B has a great sound.

Quote:

for music you should have gotten a revolution 7.1 instead of an audigy 2.

For music, you don't wany *any* of the creative cards, let alone a 7.1 channel system
eek.gif

Consensus around here for computer stuff is the RME 96/8 Digipad, M-Audio Audiophile USB/PCI, or the M-Audia Sonica.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Consensus around here for computer stuff is the RME 96/8 Digipad, M-Audio Audiophile USB/PCI, or the M-Audia Sonica.

I did a search fro the M-Audio Revo 7.1, and I heard it sounded better than the Sonica?

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Its possible that it does have a better sound to some people, but for music I couldn't personally recommend a 7.1 system. Simple stereo will suffice, unless you listen to surround recordings, or watch DVDs. And with headphones, there is little need for the extra channels.

For gaming, the Audigy's are accelerated/optimized, or whatever, and give out better FPS/lag times.

Anyway....

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 14
The M-Audio Revo is supposed to be quite a good music card. Better than the Audigy's for sure, although probably not as good as one of the RME Digi's. (There is a rather large price difference there though...) In spite of what Creative may claim, pretty much all Creative cards resample everything to a multiple of 48Khz. (Not good for 44.1 KHz CD music!) This is a hardware limitation as far as I know and there is no workaround. I'm not sure if the latest high-end Audigy does this, but I'm pretty sure the Audigy2 does.

The RME and M-Audio cards don't necessarily resample, although they probably will anyways unless you use the right software. (e.g. If you're using Windows, you have to bypass kmixer by using a Kernel Streaming or ASIO plug-in for your favorite audio player. If you don't do that, then your expensive sound card is operating just like a creative POS.)

BTW, the M-Audio Revo does do EAX, EAX2 and a few other gaming formats, but not as well as a Creative card. The Revo tends to use a fair bit more CPU power when engaged in gaming duty too, which can peeve performance nuts who want every last FPS. IMHO, the Revo is a good card to stick in a machine that you intend to be primarily for music/movies, but will see a bit of gaming duty as well.

I use a Revo in my system. For movies/music, it feeds an AVM20 preamp via digital coax. For games I use the 7.1 channel outs to hook into the analogue-in's of the AVM20. It works pretty well actually. I definately prefer to let the AVM20 do the DAC for music though.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Do you have a budget? You can go anywhere from a Cmoy to a Pimeta depending on your maximum spending amount. There are some DIY builders here that won't chrage you an arm and a leg for the amp. So, let us know your budget so we can direct you in the right direction.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 14
hey im 15, didn't stop me from finding the money
smily_headphones1.gif
start mowing lawns or shoveling driveways!!! (though i didn't.
tongue.gif
)

EDIT: and if you are looking for some portable phones to replace your stock earbuds, why not head over to www.koss.com and pick up some ksc-35's! that will solve your problem with the stock buds pretty well.

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
The Gilmore Lite at $250 new is a good choice. It has most of the performance of the V2 at less than half the price!

Agreed. Its outperformed every dynamic amp i've tried. Many of them costing several times more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back