What'd You Guys Think of The Dark Knight?
Jul 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #91 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maggie Gyllenhaal is in my opinion very beautiful, don't really understand what the fuss is about.

x2, though I'm not sure I would use the modifier beautiful. I had no problem with her in that role at all.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #92 of 119
Saw it yesterday at a 5:15 show in a DLP theater. Was packed.

Overall I really like the movie. Heath was great. The scene where he was "dancing" with Rachel was intense. Best part of the movie. I had goosebumps. Every time he was on screen the crowd was quiet.

Maggie looked ok at first then she kind of looked droopy the rest of the way. Eckhart was good. One thing that annoyed the hell out of me was Bale and his growling. Yeah he was supposed to be pent up with rage but he sounded like he needed some Delzym for his throat.

Overall it was a very good movie. Maybe a bit long but that did not really bother me.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #93 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, though I'm not sure I would use the modifier beautiful. I had no problem with her in that role at all.

Her acting may have been strictly average, but I did have one key problem with Gylenhall's role: she failed to forge any emotional attachment whatsoever with the audience. Considering her minimal screen time, some may call this inevitable; but it says something that I felt nothing when her character was destroyed over Eckhart's. In that sense, she was miserable.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #94 of 119
Yeah, I didn't feel any emotional attachment, except that I didn't want to see the boy hurt. Strictly an awesome portrayal of the Batman comic book, with an even tougher Batman. Sound was great, and the motorcycle was a nice touch. Loved it. Edit: wouldn't mind seeing a dark/tough portrayal of Robin too!

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #95 of 119
the more i think about it, the only truly great aspect of this movie was heath ledger. everything else about it was fairly par for the course. christian bale? honestly not very convincing. michael caine? good actor, but he wasn't allowed to shine in this role. same with morgan freeman. maggie gylenhaal? well...she doesn't really add anything to any movie, so there she is. aaron eckhart? pretty good performance, actually. his character was well conceived and well acted for the most part, but not excellent. plot? plot was fine but a bit convoluted and had some problems with continuity and completion of story arcs. score? par for the course. action? same thing. atmosphere? the movie did well at providing a dark and gritty atmosphere for the most part.

i could go on but really the more i think about it this film is more like a strong 7.5, not because it was bad, it just didn't reach the heights of excellence it seemed poised to. heath ledger honestly saved this movie, and was able to bring it a notch above say iron man.

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #96 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maggie Gyllenhaal is in my opinion very beautiful, don't really understand what the fuss is about.

I think her looks were just like her acting, didn't stand out in anyway. So not ugly but definitely not beautiful though if I had to make a choice I definitely think she leans more toward the former. She didn't do a bad job in her role, but she also didn't excel.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #97 of 119
Fantastic film. Not a life changing experience, but it's very well made nonetheless.

The big chase set-piece is a gem, and the Bat-pod even drew applause when it performed a certain move (you'll know it when you see it). Nolan still hasn't quite nailed The Fight Scene, but the stuff in TDK is a little easier to follow than before. The effects are outstanding, especially the Two-Face CG work which is seamless. Some of the dialogue is heavy on the fromage, yet it's the right side of cheesy thanks to the excellent performances.

Ledger is simply wonderful. His performance isn't kooky for the sake of it; he is The Joker. And he draws some genuine humour to go along with the chills, with a laugh-out-loud moment regarding a detonator (again, you'll know it when you see it!) that is pitched absolutely perfectly. I love how The Joker keeps spinning different stories about his scars to different people, which is a cheeky '**** you' to the clumsy exposition that haunts 'event' films like this.

Eckhart is nice and earnest as the crusading Dent, and it's good to see him turn when it comes. We don't get much of Two-Face though. I did initially get shades of Venom's mistreatment at the hands of Raimi and co, but then I remembered that pre-loony Dent is, of course, a major character in the film and his fall from grace is the more powerful for it, unlike Eddie Brock getting shoe-horned into Spidey 3.

Damn fine film, didin't feel the time dragged at all.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #99 of 119
Oh maybe it felt so long because I had to sit in the very front row because the theater was PACKED. Had a little hard time watching it right in front.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #100 of 119
Going to see it the second time. But this time, I'm going to the imax. It looked great in the by-the-mall theater but I can't wait to see it thru gigantic wall of screen and thundering sound effects.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #101 of 119
Might hit it at the IMAX Sunday morning. I live about 300 yards from a big AMC 30 with IMAX screens, and I've never been there once in 8 months.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #104 of 119
Finally saw TDK yesterday, and was a bit disappointed. Overall, it was ok, but not the fantastic movie that reviews make it out to be. Maybe too much hype to feed my expectations *shrug*. Yes, Ledger did a good job as the Joker. But really, how difficult it is to play crazy? And by the end, I was tired of listening to even him. To me, the best Joker was Cesar Romero.

*** spoilers ***

Too many plot holes. First all, how could the Joker have done all those things in such a such a short amount of time? Even if he had an army of crooks to help him, he keeps killing them off after each job. Wouldn't the remaining bad dudes get the hint after a while? (they couldn't all be insane refugees from Arcam)

Didn't Batman get knifed by the Joker's boot-blade during the fund raiser at Bruce's penthouse apartment? I thought that would have tied into the new suit's joint vulnerability, but nothing came of it.

Too much dialog. I know that's a strange thing to say, as I like character development as much as anyone. But most of the dialog did not serve that end, but was rather incenssant pontificating about "the night is darkest before the dawn", and "what Gotham needs", and misplaced (imo) morality.

Wrt Maggie G, I have one word - "Bleh". Didn't feel any connection between her & Bruce. At least with Holmes, I felt the sense of their past together & the potential rekindling upon her return home. In this movie, there was no chemistry at all. I barely cared that she was blown up before Gordon could save her.

Batman repeatedly has opportunity to kill the biggest badass to ever hit Gotham, and he doesn't take them. Instead we get incessant droning on & on from both hero & villain. Just **** & kill the dude, why don't you? You're too good to kill him, but in the end you take the full heat for multiple other killings? Puleez! Be the Dark Knight when you should be!

Ekhart's character makes a rather quick transformation from "the city's 'White Knight'", into a a psychotic killer with misplaced agression. I didn't buy the ending.

Michael Cain is stellar as Alfred, as usual. Probably my favorite character in this series. And we get more of a hint of Alfred's not-so-clean-cut past - cool.

What's the deal with destroying the bat sonar technology?? That has to be just about the coolest aspect of this movie (what better power for a Batman to have?). Not only was it underplayed, but it was used for Fox (Freeman) to make his own moral stand. Stupid. Why not write in the fact that this technology used an extraordinary amount of power, and could only be used for finite periods of time, within pinpointed (a few city block) target range?

*** spoilers ***

I rate "The Dark Knight" a 7/10. I still liked Iron Man better.

Cheers.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back