What'd You Guys Think of The Dark Knight?
Jul 21, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #31 of 119
This wasn't a Batman movie. It wasn't even a Joker or Two-face movie. It was a movie about morality, and the horrendous choices that have to be made. Do you kill others to save yourself? Do you rescue civilians knowing some will die? Do you kill a murderer, so he won't kill again? It was a disturbing movie, not because of the characters or the performances persay, but the choices underneath it all.

That being said, for a big budget movie it was done very well. Action scenes were superhero fun, and the acting was fairly well done across the board. Also, what I found disturbing was the amount of off-screen mutilation and violence. Several times we were left to imagine how the Jokers knife sliced up a face, or how the last minute or two of a persons life was spent after they were on video. This was not an action movie, it was a horror movie. It was, by far, the most disturbing and disgusting movie that I have ever seen.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 119
I think the dialogue in this film was top notch but they sure didn't give Bruce Wayne enough screen time, it was too much Batman and Joker (though come on...Joker was perfect and I wanted more more more!) Still, agreeing with hauntingtheholy, I think some of the best lines are delivered by Bale when he is BW. He looks the part (my wife was drooling over him the entire time and I had nothing to look at...poor Zanth
frown.gif
) and he acts the part. Flying to the fund raiser with 3-4 super models was awesome. He is also crazy buff so him playing Batman makes sense. Having trained for Equilibrium and Batman, he moves well as one would expect Batman to move as a well trained athlete who has serious martial arts experience. I also think Bale is one of the very best method actors and aside from Gary Oldman, I can't think of anyone who disappears into a character better. How cool then to have Oldman there too, once again undergoing a solid transformation as the ultra-ethical and generally meek mannered Gordon.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 119
I saw it and loved it. I was a huge fan of batman when I was young but never liked the original onslaught of batman motion pictures, so this change of pace was exactly what I was looking for.

The "magic trick" was one of my favorite movie moments in a long time, the joker really knows how to make an entrance

I also agree with the sentiment that Ms. Gyllenhal didn't play the part well. I think casting her was a fine idea, but she failed to execute on her end of the deal.

Someone mentioned they thought Eckhart deserved praise and I agree. I really liked him in "Thank you for Smoking" but I was worried he wouldn't sell Harvey Dent, glad I was wrong.

Lastly don't forget good old Gary, the man can flat out act

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #34 of 119
I highly recomend viewing this at the IMAX, alot of action scenes were shot with IMAX cameras and it is a spectacle to behold. Whereas movies in the past were simply blown up to fit the IMAX screen, this film truly fills the screen. I saw it first in a regular movie theater and almost turned down the chance to see it again on the IMAX and I am glad I have friends who convinced me otherwise.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #35 of 119
I enjoyed it. I would recommend it as an entertaining movie to watch. I did get quite annoyed how inept Gotham is. The movie tried to be fairly realistic giving most things a decent explanation. However, Joker can sneak 80 tons of oil/explosives/TNT/liquid plutonium/etc. into any building/hospital/shack/etc. that he wants. He also arms his baddies better than some police departments.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #36 of 119
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, ghastly is the best word I can come up with to describe her, at least for my tastes. She is like what, 30 years old? She looked like she was 45 years old to me. No matter what they did to her costume or makeup wise, nothing made her look good. Hair up, hair down, little makeup, lots of makup - didn't matter, she looked like a hag. It was hard to watch the leading men not only kiss her, but use lines that called her "beautiful", etc - I'm not sure how they kept a straight face.

And for the record, I also dislike the "Hollywood Doll Look" - as you put it. But I'm not really into the ghastly, homely look either.

Looks aside, her acting was terrible in this movie, and her presence pulled the whole experience down a notch IMO. A dreadful mist-cast.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.

I'll probably agree with you after seeing it. I just am usually into oddball girls. Is that a fetish?
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #37 of 119
Quote:

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes. WOW, what a mis-cast. Her acting was flat, and she is (for lack of a better word) ghastly looking. It is this very mis-cast that took away an entire star from my rating. When she died, I felt absolutely nothing - that's how little I cared about her character. Off of the top of my head, I can think of 10+ women who would have been a better choice to fill this role. I'm not sure who she slept with to get this part, but the movie suffered as a result of her presence. Sorry Maggie Gyllenhaal fans, but she was wrong, wrong, WRONG for this movie/roll!

Agreed. She is so ugly.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #38 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll probably agree with you after seeing it. I just am usually into oddball girls. Is that a fetish?
biggrin.gif

Only if you like her in the movie Secretary.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #40 of 119
I thought the movie was pretty awesome, the best batman so far. Then again, up until Batman Begins there was nothing much to compare to besides Michael Keaton's first effort. The sequels got progressively worse. I still will not force myself to see the one with Arnie as Mr. Freeze.

Ledger's performance was pretty good but I don't really see what everyone is raving about.

Maggie Gyllenhaal was not looking so hot and was a complete miscast. I thought see was hot back in Donnie Darko...what happened?

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #42 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was, by far, the most disturbing and disgusting movie that I have ever seen.

Really? For me it had to be Reservoir Dogs. It was sadism without purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back