What you would consider the best ampless headphone setup
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

epocs

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to hear your guys' opinions on what you guys would consider "the best" headphone you would own if you did not own an amp (or could not get one). 

I'll start. I'm starting to think perhaps a high end Grado (PS500, RS1, PS1000) might be the best option?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 22
It depends on your source, but generally you will be better to get an amp and a decent pair of headphones than spend it all on a high-end pair without any amplification.
And I personally wouldn't recommend the high-end Grados. They all use the same drivers anyway, and have the same build quality.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 22
You are definitely on the right track with a grado.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 22
Yeah, Grado wouldn't make any of my best lists.

Technically everything has an amp, so what are we plugging the headphones into in this scenario? How much power does it have? The Audeze LCD-X is easy to drive for a planar, it only needs about 0.8 V for 110 dB. I think most smartphones can do that. The Oppo PM-1 and 2 need even less, just less than half a volt which can be managed by a Clip+. I would take either of these any day over a high end Grado.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 22
  Yeah, Grado wouldn't make any of my best lists.

Technically everything has an amp, so what are we plugging the headphones into in this scenario? How much power does it have? The Audeze LCD-X is easy to drive for a planar, it only needs about 0.8 V for 110 dB. I think most smartphones can do that. The Oppo PM-1 and 2 need even less, just less than half a volt which can be managed by a Clip+. I would take either of these any day over a high end Grado.

I doubt too many people are going to buy the LCD X and not amp it

A $300 grado unamped will sound wonderful

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 22
  I doubt too many people are going to buy the LCD X and not amp it

A $300 grado unamped will sound wonderful

No, they won't because they think amps are magic. They aren't, they just power the headphones. The LCD-X doesn't need much power. It'll sound just as good out of a smartphone as a $500 amp, as long as that smartphone will do 0.8 Vrms into 20 ohms (or however much is needed for enough volume, probably less).

Meanwhile, IMO a $300 Grado will sound a lot like a $70 Grado with bowl pads
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 22

No, they won't because they think amps are magic. They aren't, they just power the headphones. The LCD-X doesn't need much power. It'll sound just as good out of a smartphone as a $500 amp, as long as that smartphone will do 0.8 Vrms into 20 ohms (or however much is needed for enough volume, probably less).

rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 22
I believe you may be pursuing this the wrong way - if you are pursuing for yourself.

What sound signature are you looking for (you can use graphs at InnerFidelity to see what has a similar sound signature to what you've liked)?
What do you listen to?
Closed or open back?

The Oppo headphone's are made to work out of iPhone's. Albeit they are slightly laid back.
Other than that, most headphone's above $300 are typically destined to be amped.
The Philips Fidelio X2 may also fit.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 22

wink.gif

From your comment it seems you're of the opinion that 
all amplifiers sound the same regardless of cost, build quality,
internal components, attention to detail...

that a(ny) smartphone amp sounds the same as any $500.00
amp as long as the smartphone will do 0,8Vrms into 20 ohms
(which most of them will)

I personally would not offer this advice to anyone seriously
interested in the accurate reproduction of music

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 22
  I'm curious to hear your guys' opinions on what you guys would consider "the best" headphone you would own if you did not own an amp (or could not get one). 

I'll start. I'm starting to think perhaps a high end Grado (PS500, RS1, PS1000) might be the best option?

Philips L2 is a candidate that works really well straight on iPhone/ iPod,and hifi sytem, on a pc however  a dac/ amp is a must. because of the low quality dac in the pc,

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 22

wink.gif

While they aren't magic, things like noise floor and power matter.
Most headphones won't sound their best connected to a smartphone because you'll hear that noise, and they don't have the power to drive them well.

As an example, I have headphones which have to be driven at about 40/100 if I connect them directly to my TV for a reasonable volume level. After about 50 volume, when you increase the volume any further, the headphones stop getting any louder. Connect them to a proper headphone amp and they sound a lot better than when they are connected to the TV at any volume. (level-matched)

I do agree that you should not have to spend huge amounts of money on an amp, but it does not mean that an amp is worthless.
I agree about Grado though. It's not worth buying anything over the SR-60 or 80 in my opinion, unless you can get a pair of HF-2. Those are the best of the John Grados in my opinion.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 22

wink.gif

While they aren't magic, things like noise floor and power matter.
Most headphones won't sound their best connected to a smartphone because you'll hear that noise, and they don't have the power to drive them well.

As an example, I have headphones which have to be driven at about 40/100 if I connect them directly to my TV for a reasonable volume level. After about 50 volume, when you increase the volume any further, the headphones stop getting any louder. Connect them to a proper headphone amp and they sound a lot better than when they are connected to the TV at any volume. (level-matched)

I do agree that you should not have to spend huge amounts of money on an amp, but it does not mean that an amp is worthless.
I agree about Grado though. It's not worth buying anything over the SR-60 or 80 in my opinion, unless you can get a pair of HF-2. Those are the best of the John Grados in my opinion.

Which is what he said: as long as it has enough power. if the mobile device has enough power, it will amp it fine. You don't need any particular amp to deal with noise, either. Most decent amps (including those on mobile devices) are fine in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised your tv's headphone output sucks. There's a good chance it's bad, and that it doesn't compare to the output of a state of the art modern device, which tend to be very good. But you are comparing your tv's output to the output of a headphone amp while you should be comparing it to that of a mobile device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back