What would you like out of an amp?
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Preshure0617

Head-Fier
What would be your ideal amp in terms of features, footprint and cosmetics?

I think a unit the size of a brick would be acceptible based on my feature list....for starters, it would have (2) 1/4" AND (2) 1/8" outputs that can all be driven at the same time.

It would be solid state + tube, with a tube "blend" feature that allows you to mix the tube signal with an SS signal at any increment (+/_ 100% and anywhere in between). Ability to drive headphones up to a 600 ohm imp.

Rubber feet (screw on), nickel finish and a USB 2.0 port for connection to your digital collection. Standard RCA and a s/pdif and/or optical for us high-enders.

Old school VU meters, -30dB "pad" button (momentary switch for quick lowering of volume level if you get a phone call or someone needs to get ahold of you, without having to reset your gain afterwards)

Built in limiter at 113dB, balance control and stereo image control (width).

That's just my thought...of course, this would probably sell at an easy grand with all of those features, but hell that's my ideal unit in terms of functions we could all use.

What would YOU like to see?

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 6
I want a box that will precisely increase the amplitude of the input sound waves without changing their wavelength/frequency or doing anything else to the sound whatsoever. Two 1/4" jacks would be nice. Apart from that, I don't care about any other bells & whistles, looks, etc. I think it's probably detrimental to add the additional electronics of a DAC, volume limiter, balance control, image control, etc. There are separate DACs and preamps available to do all that stuff.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd like a PreSonus HP4 with better electronics and significantly improved volume pots.

In other words, I want multiple heaphone jacks (4 would be nice, two is fine) that have independant volume control. I also want line out with volume control for monitors (I also really like the monitor mute feature of the HP4). Balanced and unbalanced I/O is also nice.

If I had to give up anything it would be the multiple headphone jacks. I could live with one if I could keep my monitor outputs with volume control.

Having a DAC onboard is nice but non-essential.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

What would YOU like to see?

I would like to see this in the correct forum.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 6
the size of a Corda five.
the power of a singlepower SDS
two RCA outs and one preamp out
two RCA ins

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I want a box that will precisely increase the amplitude of the input sound waves without changing their wavelength/frequency or doing anything else to the sound whatsoever. Two 1/4" jacks would be nice. Apart from that, I don't care about any other bells & whistles, looks, etc. I think it's probably detrimental to add the additional electronics of a DAC, volume limiter, balance control, image control, etc. There are separate DACs and preamps available to do all that stuff.

All that and I want it to fit in my pocket too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back