ezkcdude

1000+ Head-Fier
Dx3r_Z6VAAAnnmH.jpg
Current system:

Source -> Amazon Echo Link
DAC -> Peachtree DAC iTx
Amp -> JDS Labs O2
Headphones -> Sennheiser HD650

What would be the biggest bang for the buck upgrades here (excluding the Echo Link which I just bought and need for convenience in my setup)?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 19
Budget?
Type of music?

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 19
What is it about your current set-up you dont like?
Too much bass? Not enough? Not enough staging,etc...?

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 19
What is it about your current set-up you dont like?
Too much bass? Not enough? Not enough staging,etc...?

I mean I like my current system. I'm not an expert, hence, why I'm here asking you guys.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 19
A different headphone will give you the most dramatic change for sure. Whether you will like the changes or not is a different story.
A good tube amp always helps the HD650,but its not going to be a night/day difference.
The HD650 is a warm headphone with a pretty slow response,so depending upon which genre of metal youre into that can make faster metal sound muddy/blurred.
For hip/hop you want something with big/deep bass. The HD650 has nice midbass for thump,but doesnt dig too deep into the sub-bass region.
For jazz you want those mids to be good,which the HD650 has.
For classical you want an expansive sound stage,something the HD650s do not have.

As you can see its not an easy answer. Do you buy 2-3 new headphones,one for each genre? Do you buy one new pair and try to get an all-arounder type headphone?

A good planar might be your answer. As to which one im the wrong guy to ask. Many people will say a HiFiMan headphone. Many people,myself included have had horrible experiences with their build quality and not exactly state of the industry customer service.

The Audeze LCD-2 is in your price range,but sounds similar to what you already have.

I probably confused you more than helped,but its not as simple as throwing gobs of money at an issue and getting the results youre looking for. If you can narrow down areas of the sound where you want improvement that will help quite a bit.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 19
:
Source -> Amazon Echo Link
DAC -> Peachtree DAC iTx
Amp -> JDS Labs O2
Headphones -> Sennheiser HD650
What would be the biggest bang for the buck upgrades here (excluding the Echo Link which I just bought and need for convenience in my setup)?
Crackhead (w/Speedball) tube headphone amplifier.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 19
I mean I like my current system. I'm not an expert, hence, why I'm here asking you guys.

If you can't pin point anything you don't like in your system, not even a few aspects that you want improved (even if it's the strengths of the system and you just want more of it), might as well just sit back, put your feet up, and listen to that system.

I made the recommendation for the WooAudio WA6 not just for more power with not much distortion or noise over the O2 (unless you get a microphonic tube ie if you so much as point a fan at the tube you start hearing noise, but no need to worry about the stock tubes) with the HD650 but as a preparation for any headphone you might end up getting later on. It will drive practically anything but electrostats.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 19
A tube amp could be a good option, but It would be a shame (given your budget) to not add another nice headphone to your collection. One of the Massdrop Fostex headphones might be worth considering, also maybe the Sennheiser HD700.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 19
Since you guys mention tube amps what do you think of the DarkVoice 336SE?
Im going to save you money. Forget about your amp and source/dac. The 6xx stuff is good, but your biggest upgrade with <$1000 will be buying a Sennheiser HD800s used. You can be 100% confident you got the best upgrade for the money. Thats my word. Then if you want to chase memes later for an upgrade, youll have a better idea of what you want. Just enjoy the music, and read, read, read my friend.

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back