What would you do? E4 w/amp vs UE10 w/o amp
Dec 29, 2005 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rick1970

Head-Fier
This may be a silly comparison, but which would you choose? I am now torn between going with the Shure E4 and and amp (most likely SM3) or getting custom IEMs (UE5c or UE10 Pro) and no amp. I really liked the idea of getting customs, but now all the favorable reviews of the E4 make me think I need to try them.

Based on opinions here, I think the customs would still probably sound better, but the amp would open up additional options for the iPod. Then I could always try the K701s
very_evil_smiley.gif
or the HD650s
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 8
The customs, even unamped, will sound better than a universal fit + amp. The only issue with the customs is that you'll have no resale value and will have to pretty much take a gamble on one. I took a gamble on the ES2 and it paid off, though now I'm stuck with the dilemma of finding a suitable source for them; the X5 is not nearly good enough, and far too bright besides.

Custom IEM's will give you very good sound together with unparalleled mobility. If you listen on the move and have the money to burn, they're indispensable.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 8
It really depends on you. If you spend most of your listening time on the road, then definitely invest in a custom IEM. If not, then getting an amp will definitely give you more options, such as AKG k701, HD650, and etc. As I find using an IEM at home is still not appropriate, I can not hear any phone rings or my family members trying to talk to me.

Dec 29, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
...though now I'm stuck with the dilemma of finding a suitable source for them; the X5 is not nearly good enough, and far too bright besides.

Custom IEM's will give you very good sound together with unparalleled mobility. If you listen on the move and have the money to burn, they're indispensable.

That's right. The source for these is substantial. No iPod will do any good to the custom IEM's and show their full potential IMO. I'm fortunate enough to have iHP 140 (lossless/optical out, etc., etc.), which is far better, but still I think there might be a better solution for a portable DAP to rival the stationary players.

I use high-end IEM's at home as my primary reference, especially now during winter.

You might be torn deciding between UE-5C and UE 10-Pro (if only these are an option for you). In fact, I think, I might have been better off if I had chosen UE-5C instead of UE-10 Pro. You may also end up with both. To prevent such things happening, you may always choose Sensaphonics or Westone's ES2.

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Most of my listening is actually in bed later at night after my wife and son have gone to sleep. My main reason for using a DAP+IEM setup is that it doesn't require much space and is easy to put away. Also, the IEM doesn't leak sound (my wife has sensitive hearing and my Grados used to drive her nuts when she was trying to sleep).

I would love to get something like a Meridian+Singlepower setup but I just don't want to leave better than a few grand worth of (used) equipment out within reach of my 21 month old son. I put all my CDs in storage because he wouldn't leave them alone.

I do have a Karma in very good condition that I can also use as a source. I just don't particularly care for the UI (SQ is excellent for a DAP). From what I've heard, the iPod via line out with a quality amp has pretty good SQ as well. Maybe the E4 with an amp is a better next step. Both should have a reasonable resale value if I am not satisfied or want to upgrade to a custom IEM. My only reservation with going the custom route at this time is the fact that there is no resale potential if I am not satisfied.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 8
I've played around with the sensaphonics, ue10, ER-4, SR-71 amp, 2nd gen through 5th gen ipods, and I am happiest with the ue10 and the 5th gen ipod unamped. It provides the best compromise of ultimate convenience vs sound. The ue10 and 5th gen ipod are a great match. The ue5c has more bass which made up for the bass rolloff of the older ipods but the 5th gen does not have this problem.

Sure you can add an amp and improve the sound further but an amp can be a hassle to deal with. I like just throwing the ipod in my pocket and not dealing with extra cables, batteries, and whatever else.

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 8
I wonder, have you guys tried listening to high-end IEM's with any other DAP besides an iPod? I've tried the 4th and 5th generation, X5, Karma's and a couple of others. If you think that the 5th gen iPod sounds good with UE-10 Pro's you should try iRiver's iHP 1xx series with all its assets (if you ever find one that is). Sure, it's just a DAP, with all the limitations of a DAP, but there is no match- the competition is left behind. UE-10 Pro's truly shine in this combo (unamped). Even though I still clearly prefer Sensaphonics, there is a scope for improving the sound of UE-10 Pro's if coming from an iPod to a better source IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back