What would represent the cheapest entry into "high end audio"?
Aug 6, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if we're talking about high-end in audio in general that headphones are not part of it, with the possible exception of the HE90 and O2 top combinations.

If we restrict ourselves to the headphone world, I think I would add a few more: AKG K1000, Grado PS-1 (maybe HP1000) , Sony R10 (maybe Qualia) and ATH L3000. Balanced HD650 with a top amp is a borderline case.

The rest (GS1000, Edition 9, DX1000, headphile K340, ATH woodies, Deep cup Darths, HE60, Stax4040, single ended HD650 with top amp) are really great sounding hi-fi, but clearly not in the same league.

Third league would be (for me): K701, DT880/990, RS1/RS2, HD600, PRO 2500/750, Denon D2000, Kenwood KH-K1000, etc.)

Now where do you draw the line?

Just my 2 cents...

To put the HE60 in the same league as the Stax SR-404, SE HD650, Darths and ATH woodies is blasphemy!!!!
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanWillieGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to make myself go to bed occasionally; I have to force myself to listen to entire records because I am always thinking about what I want to listen to next.

I get a little bit of that 'sometimes' now... Maybe that's when I know I'm approaching high-end

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To put the HE60 in the same league as the Stax SR-404, SE HD650, Darths and ATH woodies is blasphemy!!!!
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Indeed! There is no way the HE60's are as good
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

redface.gif
biggrin.gif

OK, ok ok.
HE60/Rudistor Egmont could go up one league.
smily_headphones1.gif

Paired with the HEV70 I am not so sure.
redface.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think probably high-end just isn't an attainable goal for most people.....

I'm just curious... is your current setup within that echelon of what you deem as a high-end setup? If not, from your experience what is in a hi-fi setup for you?

I'm new here, and my setup below is definitely not high-fi yet. It's interesting to see what some people here think as 'high-end'.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #52 of 54
Akabeth, I would regard your headphones as certainly high-end, but to only drive it with a Predator (not an amp which I can say I like) is certainly not ideal. A high end system would require a good balance between source, amp and headphone. The R10, O2, K1000 would certainly be a worthy component in such a system.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Akabeth, I would regard your headphones as certainly high-end, but to only drive it with a Predator (not an amp which I can say I like) is certainly not ideal.

True.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Sorry, my useless post doesn't belong here.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious... is your current setup within that echelon of what you deem as a high-end setup? If not, from your experience what is in a hi-fi setup for you?

I'm new here, and my setup below is definitely not high-fi yet. It's interesting to see what some people here think as 'high-end'.

I find my headphone setup compared to my speaker setup not Hi-End.
My speaker setup I think is definitely Hi-End.
If only in the headphone reality: see what I said in my post #22 about my ranking. I think my O2/Rudistor and K1000/Stealth/JK accoustics come close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back