What Would Jesus Drive?
Nov 20, 2002 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bootman

King o'Ping
I saw this story on MSNBC.

I always thought Jesus would drive these.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 28
Lol, this is incredible. Death to SUVs! Well, those SUVs that have no reason to exist, anyway. Driving the kids to the mall is NOT a valid reason to own an SUV.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: JESUS would be much to humble to drive anything other than a donkey.

Or, He might drive a 1968 VW bus with flowers painted all over it. Plenty of room for the Apostles, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 28
I may not necessarily agree with the religious bent...
BUT I agree with andrzejpw, DEATH to SUVs.
Too bad my girlfriend's family own's three for a family of four. Sigh.

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 28
Alright! Low-rider SUV/van thing, now they have taken away what little advantage the modern SUV has over other cars (I refer to the ability to go off-road).

That has to be the ugliest car I have ever seen, even worse than the Aztec. Who really wants a car that looks like a lunchbox?

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 28
That's the toyota, right?

Seriously, cars like the Rav4, CR-V, etc, I have less of a problem with. Sure, they're not needed, but they give better fuel economy, and they don't blind me as much when driving.

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 28
I think it is a great looking car with lots of personalization options.

Yes it is a new Toyota brand called 'Scion'. bbX and ccX are the first models for the new brand.

CaptBubba: It's not much of a SUV/Van thing, look how small it is, it's more like a small station wagon, think Subaru Impreza, Ponitac Vibe, Mazda Protoge. All aimed right at your age group along with the new Honda Element.

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
[BCaptBubba: It's not much of a SUV/Van thing, look how small it is, it's more like a small station wagon, think Subaru Impreza, Ponitac Vibe, Mazda Protoge. All aimed right at your age group along with the new Honda Element. [/B]

Maybe I'm just not hip enough to "get it". To me it is boxy, ungainly, and the fact that all the features are "secret" except its sound system leads me to believe that's what the whole car is based around. I guess I just don't fit into their marketing demographic.

On the hybrid issue, does anybody else feel like the polution caused by the production and future disposal of all those NiMH cells is being glossed over? I'm not sure of the actual effects, but I'm sure they can't be wonderful for the enviroment.

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba

On the hybrid issue, does anybody else feel like the polution caused by the production and future disposal of all those NiMH cells is being glossed over? I'm not sure of the actual effects, but I'm sure they can't be wonderful for the enviroment.

I wouldn't worryabout it too much. The hybrid is just a stop-gap car that is only being produced to fulfill a government mandated quota. The future is hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles.

Daimler-Chrysler AG
Ford Motor Co.
General Motors Corp.
Honda Motor Company
PSA Peugeot Citroen
Renault-Nissan Alliance
Toyota Motor Corp.

are all working on fuel-cell development. It will be a skateboard AUTOnomy chassis with the ability to change the body module whenever you like. This will require revamping the infrastructure to accomodate hydrogen fueling.

The automakers have good reason to pursue the hydrogen option. First of all, hydrogen fuel-cells are clean. Only water vapor is produced and dependence on oil is virtually eliminated. Fuel-cell technology can be sustained indefinitely. Secondly, today's auto industry is capital-intensive and gives only modest profit margins. Excess production is driving down vehicle prices. Regulatory standards are driving up the costs. So, lower prices and higher costs are lowering profit margins.

AUTOnomy changes the current business model by lowering development costs. Chassis and body modules are produced independently, there are fewer components in this type of vehicle, design changes can be made more easily and cheaply. The chassis can be designed once to accomodate different body styles. Production volumes can be much larger than at present time, bringing greater economies of scale.

Most of this has been shamelessly gleaned from the October 2002 Scientific American

Users who are viewing this thread

Back