1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What would I gain from mixing with open back (DT 1990?) headphones?

1. rredge
    I am increasingly involved in making videos for the web. These involve editing and mixing dialogue, sound effects and music.

I use Focal monitors to do this. However, I also use closed back headphones when editing, especially when using iZotope RX, because it helps me focus on problems. Specifically, I use Sony MDR-7506s, and especially Beoplay H6s (1st generation) which I happen to like.

For web distribution, especially at later stages as a check, I also go back and forth between the Focals and the closed back headphones, and indeed also listen through earphones and straight from iMac and smartphone speakers. At the end, I also listen to the sound when played back from the web before the video is made public.

Now my question...

What, if anything, am I likely to achieve if I add a set of open back headphones to this workflow?

I’m thinking specifically of Beyerdynamic’s AT 1990.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. rredge
    As Gilda Radner aka Emily Litella used to say, “Never mind”.

I just ordered the AT 1990s. If someone can tell me how they might actually be useful, that would assuage the guilt. To be honest, I think that I’ve just purchased them because they look seriously cool/rad/sick. Pick your generational adjective.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018