What would be the best cans for me?
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Voxata

Headphoneus Supremus
    Well, I'm new into the hifi audio world and wow..have I been awakened..and, well I want my mind to be blown with the right pair of headphones. I'm using an Asus Xonar STX soundcard, which has been amazing compared to what I had before it..a $25 dollar pair of USB headphones - Microsoft's LX-3000. I've upgraded the opamps to OPA2134PA's but I've gathered a couple other sets that seem to be favorites to experiment. As far as headphones, I'd prefer a set under $300 dollars if possible... I play alot of FPS games, namely Battlefield 3, so strong but not messy bass is a must. I'm into colorful, precise audio clarity, if there is a such thing to describe anyways.. As far as music, goes I'm into everything from coldplay to wutang - I also like some dubstep remixes. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you!

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 42
You prefer open or closed headphones ?

For less than 200$ you can try Hfi580/780/pro650/srh840 for closed headphone and HFI-2400/HD598/558/AD900... for open (the last 3 aren't very bassy).

For 300$+, maybe D2000/pro900...

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 42
I'd also suggest trying out the Grado SR325is - if you're OK with having an open back set of cans.  Mine are somewhat modded (upgraded Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cables),  but even the stock ones which can be had for just shy of $300 are good for general music listening and gaming.

To give you an idea,  I was playing Skyrim last night on my PC and was able to clearly hear when someone or something was behind me based on foot steps. I also play BF3 and COD MW a lot.  You're gonna love the sound of explosions and background music :)

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card driving them and they sound great for all sorts of music genres...Rock, Pop, Country, Hip Hop, R&B, Jazz, Acoustical, Dance, Electronic etc.

The one thing I would suggest with the Grado's though is to change out the ear pads to the G-Cushion Jumbo pads if you can.  I think they retail for under $50,  but it places the pads around your ear,  vs. on your ear (which can get a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours of gaming or listening).

Good luck!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 42
I'm looking into the Pro900, lots of good reviews - I do notice that the Impedance is 40 Ohms, what does this number matter so much? In my head I think of requiring more power for stronger bass, but given the reviews this seems to slaughter alot of high imp cans out there in bass quality.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 42
Your sound card will drive them with ease. I'm currently using Pro 900 straight from Xonar ST (basically the same sound card). And it sounds great! At 40% volume (with normal gain settings) it is about as loud as when I have my amp on 11 o'clock. If I increase the gain it gets really loud.
Conclusion: Xonar ST(x) drive these headphones with ease.

Quote:
I'm looking into the Pro900, lots of good reviews - I do notice that the Impedance is 40 Ohms, what does this number matter so much? In my head I think of requiring more power for stronger bass, but given the reviews this seems to slaughter alot of high imp cans out there in bass quality.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 42
True, that wasn't exactly my question though - more of a general one. I know the STX can power anything so I'm wondering if a higher imp plays any major role in sound.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 42
I see. No, from my understanding more impedance means higher voltage is required to drive them. You need good amps for higher impedance. It doesn't have anything to do with sound quality. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 42
You are correct. I think though that if you have more impedance, you will be more likely to use an amp, which means better sound. I doubt headphone companies do that so you'll buy an amp though. I think they make higher impedance headphones so you can run more power from better amps through them--Right?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 42
Impedance is not as important to "driving the headphones" as is sensitivity. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 42
How do you measure sensitivity?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 42
In decibels.  All headphones should list their sensitivity.  For example, the Sennheiser HD650 is 102 dB and the HiFiMan HE-6 is 83.5 db.  In this case, the HE-6 is the more difficult to drive headphone.

Quote:
How do you measure sensitivity?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 42
I thought decibels were the measurement of the sound pressure? I can see what you're saying about the HiFiMan's though. I was just wondering because Ultrasone's have that decentralized driver which lowers the sound pressure level by 3-4dB. How can moving a driver position change how sensitive it is?

Quote:
In decibels.  All headphones should list their sensitivity.  For example, the Sennheiser HD650 is 102 dB and the HiFiMan HE-6 is 83.5 db.  In this case, the HE-6 is the more difficult to drive headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back