what would be the best bang for the buck for listening to dubstep
Feb 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Ptruslow

Head-Fier
i am kinda kenw to high quality audio and such, and my cheap sony in-ear headphones crapped out on me today.
what would be a good pair of over the ear headphones for dubstep and music that is bass heavy.
keep in mind that what is probably the most important for me is the comfort. my ears stick out into most headphones, which is very annoying. i will be plugging them directly into an ipod, i don't want an amp. i want clear, not distorted bass. i am ok with large, but i want something i can walk around with, and i really want to be able to replace the cable, as i am tough on those.
basically what i want is the best , comfortable headphones i can get for about $80. not much to spend, but that's what i could see myself spending on them.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 34
If all you listen to is bass heavy music, I suggest springing for the crossfade LPs from V Moda on amazon.  They are extremely comfortable, durable, and sound great for bass heavy genres (I listen primarily to dubstep/other edm/hip hop and love them).  Removable cable and all.  

They are driven decently from my ipod as well, even better amped.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 34

alright.....so, I absolutely love my combo of my NuForce NE-700X earbuds with my iPod connected to my ZO2 amp. The ZO is meant for bass. It's not that large, and my other setup is a testiment to this fact. I walk around with a Sansa Clip Zip with a command strip attaching it to the ZO2. it's so small and gives a huge punch for the money.

it seemed like you were wanting earbuds, but if headphones are your thing. you should try the Audio Technica M50's
Quote:
i am kinda kenw to high quality audio and such, and my cheap sony in-ear headphones crapped out on me today.
what would be a good pair of over the ear headphones for dubstep and music that is bass heavy.
keep in mind that what is probably the most important for me is the comfort. my ears stick out into most headphones, which is very annoying. i will be plugging them directly into an ipod, i don't want an amp. i want clear, not distorted bass. i am ok with large, but i want something i can walk around with, and i really want to be able to replace the cable, as i am tough on those.
basically what i want is the best , comfortable headphones i can get for about $80. not much to spend, but that's what i could see myself spending on them.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 34

Quote:

These.

All requirements met.

Very best,

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 34
i like earbuds, but they simply have never lasted for me, i want a detachable cable, because that is where my headphones always have a problem. anybody know anything about thte M-audio q40's, im not going to take one persons word for it, and drop more than 100 on it.
i will not be able to have a headphone amp, i want something that will be powerful enough straight out of my ipod.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 34
what do you guys think about the AKG HD 142, which i can get for 75 dollars

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 34
Best bang for buck for dubstep would be XB500 IMO but they seem hard to get atm (don't know if that's still the case) but if they can be had at $50~60 they'd be a great deal for dubstep and are efficient so no amping is necessary for big bass. Comfort is by far the best in any headphones I've tried.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 34
I don't know about juice or sound of the M-Audio Q40's, but the fact is an amp will help you get the necessary power for your earbuds or headphones to really give you that punchy bass you are wanting.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Booster-Control/dp/B004BOA6SM/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1330439314&sr=8-17
Yes, it's an amp, but FiiO makes some nice mini/portable amplifiers and this one is ridiculously small and even adds features to your iPod. If you aren't too set on getting the most amazing highs and mids levels out of your earbuds, i would give the SkullCandy Titans a try. If you learn the over under method of wrapping your wires up and stick to the non-mic version, they will last a while. The cord on mine isnt stressed at all.

When you start talking removable wires on earbuds, you start upping the price point a bit.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 34
If you can find them these days, the XB-500 is a great value, but it doesn't have a replaceable cord.  Same deal with the Panasonic RP-HTF600, though you can occasionally find it for as low as $25.  It doesn't have quite as much bass, but is an astounding value at that price.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 34
i have been looking at the fiio e1, looks good, what headphones are good, and cheap, with the fiio e1. i do want a removable cable, so i can use a shorter cable and use the volume control as a headphone cable. the crossfade lp's look great, and are deffinitely what i am considering.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 34
M-Audio Q40 is awesome for bass-heavy electronic genres. Also, Ultrasone HFI 550 is a well known contender as well. Audio Technica ATH-M50 would also work.

In this price range, the Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 or the Denon DJ headphones should also be considered. DJ headphones in general tend to be good for electronic music, which is pretty obvious but worth mentioning!

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 34
well after talking to a freind, it seems i will be buying the sony xb500 for $35 seconhand, in fine condition. i will be pairing that with the fiio e1 and that should satisfy my needs, thanks for the reccomendations on that, and i will be looking into these in the future, after i get more money and satisfy my need for a window shaking system(plan on 2x cerwin vega ve-12).

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 34
Well, "good" is a pretty subjective term as far as the audiophile community goes-- especially with bass.

The only headphones I've tried that are priced within your budget are the Skullcandy Hesh, and honestly, you should stay far far away from them. If you're willing to stretch your budget a little more or save, I'd suggest the Audio-Technica Pro700MK2. They sounded great when plugged directly into the headphone output of my iPod/iPhone. The Ultrasone HFI-580s also sound good, but I thought the bass was much more punchy and controlled when used with JDS Labs cMoy portable amp.

edit--

Quote:
well after talking to a freind, it seems i will be buying the sony xb500 for $35 seconhand, in fine condition. i will be pairing that with the fiio e1 and that should satisfy my needs, thanks for the reccomendations on that, and i will be looking into these in the future, after i get more money and satisfy my need for a window shaking system(plan on 2x cerwin vega ve-12).

Actually scrolled down to see this.
tongue_smile.gif

Congrats on the purchase! I think going with an LOD/amp and the secondhand headphones was a good choice! You should let us know your impression of the new setup once you get it.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back