What would be a good AMP to drive the ZMF Eikon?
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

UGA1980

New Head-Fier
Hello all! My Username is UGA1980, for my favorite college football team (Go DAWGS. Sic' Em!) and the last time they won the title. I thought I might have a shot at UGA2018 last year, but alas my name stays the same.

So, I just bought the ZMF Eikon in Bloodwood from Zach, and I'm excited about my purchase. To be completely honest I haven't ever had hi-end equipment before, so I was wondering what kind of DAC or AMP I should get for my Eikons. Thought that this would be a great place to ask, so please let me know what you guys think. These would be my home pair, so it doesn't have to be portable. Preferrably $2-300, but if there's something that's slightly better out of that range than I'd look into it. Don't mind used stuff.

Thanks,
UGA1980

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 6
To be honest, I just want the Eikon to perform to the best that I can get it, and think since its 300 ohms it might need more to drive it than my computer or iPhone. I'm more of a sound space than a bassy person, mids and vocals are important (although I think those are more of a headphone thing tbh). Hopefully, it can be versatile and I wont need to upgrade for a while. What do you think?

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I’m sure there is something around $300 that will do well with the Eikons maybe Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid as I like it with the HD-6xx’s and also planars. They will definitely scale better just saying.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 6
First off, welcome to the community! I've been lurking for a while, but I'm here to help now.

I see your requirements are these:

* ZMF Eikon in Bloodwood
* Home pair, so it doesn't have to be portable.
* Preferrably $2-300, but if there's something that's slightly better out of that range than I'd look into it.
* Don't mind used stuff.

Thanks,
UGA1980

I appreciate the amount of effort you put into making sure your requirements were specific. That makes things a bit easier.

As another user stated, many people thoroughly enjoy the Eikon with a tube amp. The most common recommendation I've seen is the Darkvoice at this price range, but most people also say you'll need different tubes to get the most out of it. I'm currently awaiting the "xDuoo TA-10" to pair with my Eikon, as it was recommended by a friend. If you like I can do a little more research into amps, but at this price range for "solid state" I'd usually recommend a Topping D30 and Schiit Magni as both are pretty much the best built items in their price range. I hope this helps. Good luck with your headphone journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back